Bass near Corvallis? Help!!!

H
huabrandon
Going to be at Corvallis in the fall for school. Wondering where are some good places for bass. I know the Willamette will have bass but I was wondering if there were any ponds or lakes? I guess any sweet spots off the Willamette works as well. Let me know! I'm used to fishing at Hagg Lake so I need to find some places for warm water fishes. Please and thank you!

T
the_intimidator03
there is a place called freeway lakes... its a chain of 3 lakes on the east side of I-5, Also just as you come in from I-5 into corvallis is a pond on the south side that holds bass. besides that there isn't a lot of real "local" holes that i know of. the pond just outside corvallis is bikable but freeway lakes would be a little far...

T
Throbbit _Shane
Lebanon isn't far away and has a bassy lake called Cheadle. Albany has some ponds inside of Simpson Park that look like they hold some lunkers.

There are some ponds in Corvallis iv heard about that knife river owns. The one closest to the highway is public im pretty sure.

H
huabrandon
Any idea which lake out of the 3 is better for bass? and are you talking about fisher island pond?

the_intimidator03 said:
there is a place called freeway lakes... its a chain of 3 lakes on the east side of I-5, Also just as you come in from I-5 into corvallis is a pond on the south side that holds bass. besides that there isn't a lot of real "local" holes that i know of. the pond just outside corvallis is bikable but freeway lakes would be a little far...

H
huabrandon
Any tips on this location? What is it like there? I'm assuming you have caught fish there? haha
Throbbit _Shane said:
Lebanon isn't far away and has a bassy lake called Cheadle. Albany has some ponds inside of Simpson Park that look like they hold some lunkers.

There are some ponds in Corvallis iv heard about that knife river owns. The one closest to the highway is public im pretty sure.

troutdude
troutdude
huabrandon said:
Any idea which lake out of the 3 is better for bass? and are you talking about fisher island pond?

The farthest, of the 3, to the WEST is the bassin' lake over there.

WORD: if you are bankin' it...lather up with Technu first...TONS of Poison Oak all over the banks!

troutdude
troutdude
Throbbit _Shane said:

It would be prudent, to ASK permission first. Signs do NOT have to even be posted; to be arrested for trespassing in Oregon.

troutdude
troutdude
the_intimidator03 said:
Also just as you come in from I-5 into corvallis is a pond on the south side that holds bass.

This place has an old garbage landfill, on it's western banks. I would not eat any of those fish. But, C & R would be fun.

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
To the south, of Corvallis, is Kiger Island slough (part of the Willy system). And just a bit farther south, is the Long Tom River. Lots of private land; but some owners will give permission if you ask.

Then, even farther south is Fern Ridge Reservoir.

North, is a small pond at Adair (next to the ODFW offices).

To west, is Bonner Lake...just west of Fort Hoskins (Kings Valley area - about 40 min. from Corvallis).

An hour and 10 min. west, is Olalla Reservoir.

An hour and 20 min. west, is Big Creek Reservoir One (lower of the two).

Good luck.

Last edited:
C
Combat Chuck
Also Foster and Green Peter if you have a floating device... or a log. Just drag one off the bank and hello smallies! :dance:

troutdude
troutdude
I knew that were a couple that I was forgetting!

Also, pulled some smallies out of Klickitat Lake two summers ago. It's a small impoundment, on the western slopes of Mary's Peak.

T
the_intimidator03
When you look at the 3 lake/pond chain the tendancy is the eastern one is coolest and also stocked with trout. middle one and western one are the bass focused.

H
huabrandon
Thanks for the tips guys! I'm actually out here right now for orientation. Going to check out some of these spots before hand so I can prep for my next visit! Oh! And I found out my school has a bass club! :O looks like I'll find out about some new spots from the locals ;)
the_intimidator03 said:
When you look at the 3 lake/pond chain the tendancy is the eastern one is coolest and also stocked with trout. middle one and western one are the bass focused.