Barview Jetty Fishing

Y
YoungWig
Heading out to camp at the Barview Jetty this weekend. I plan on spending Saturday on the Jetty trying to pull some fish out of the water. Does anyone have any tips or recommendations of what is working or biting right now? I've only caught crab off the jetty when i was younger.

Thanks!

M
mustardthetrout
Barview Jetty Fishing

If you aren't targeting anything in particular and just want to catch a fish I'd just use a simple two hook rig with sand shrimp. 2-6 ounces of lead. Be careful because it's extremely snaggy.

Y
YoungWig
thanks for the advice. Ill probably give that a shot. Also thinking about throwing a jig and rubber worm. Do you recommend the beach or bay side?

M
mustardthetrout
I usually fish the inside bc it's safer and I've found the fishing to be better over there. You also don't need to go very far down the jetty to catch fish.

Y
YoungWig
inside as in bay side?

B
BaldTexan
Yep. Bay side. You won't eat waves and its deep water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B
Berg03
what they said. sandshrimp is the go to bait out there. Hard to throw jigs as you will snag a lot. Also the current really rips when it is going. So dont let your gear sit to long as it will find its way to a rock :p
the Greenlings are in good number there though

C
cdumitru78
I was there over the weekend, tried the Bay side, and it was slow, plenty of snags and lost gear. Went back to what I know best - casting in the sand using live shrimp and fake gulp worms on the beach side, and that turned out to be a good call. We hooked into some big perch, biggest I caught so far. Between 2 of us, we caught about 20 fish in less than three hours, and half of them were really nice sized. Everyone around us in the sand was catching fish, so they are there for sure.

P
pigs
Hello, I've stalked this forum a lot for the last several months, and thought I'd make a post. I'm still very new to fishing... I live in Portland and have been trying stocked trout lakes nearby (Hagg, North Fork, Trillium) with relatively low success. I decided to try jetty fishing this weekend and had so much fun. After doing tons of research, my cousin and I went out to Barview Jetty (north jetty) with:
  • sandshrimp
  • Gulp! squids and crabs
  • high/low rigs roughly 10" apart
  • 25lb monofilament line
We caught 3 kelp greenlings and 2 black rockfish and 1 perch that got snagged on its way up from the rocks. haha

Of course, getting snagged was very common, but I was hoping some of yall on here had some tips on how to decrease snags. Every time we had to cut our line (after 10-15min of trying to de-snag), we felt awful. We didn't know what else to do, so we climbed as low as we could on the rocks and clipped our line.

Is there anything we can try next time to lessen our chances of snags? We aren't as concerned about losing gear as we are leaving hooks and line floating around in the ocean. :frown-new:

Otherwise, we had loads of fun and plan to go again soon and try the south jetty next time. Any tips/advice would be awesome! :smile-new:

IMG_3685.jpg

IMG_3686.jpg

IMG_3659.jpg

IMG_3667.jpg

IMG_3684.jpg

IMG_3687.jpg

P.S. Everyone was so friendly. If any of the folks who gave us their leftover sandshrimp yesterday are out there: THANK YOU so much!

T
TimberTodd
Getting hung up fishing amongst the rocks on the jetty is going to happen. The saltwater will do pretty quick work on the lost hooks. You can always try a slip bobber and see if that helps with the hang ups. Welcome to OFF and those are great pictures for your first post.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Welcome to OFF Todd nailed it for you. Fishing off those jetty is going to get you snagged no matter what. I never let my line sit. I would cast out then retrieve to cut down on snags but still it would happen.

P
pigs
TimberTodd said:
Getting hung up fishing amongst the rocks on the jetty is going to happen. The saltwater will do pretty quick work on the lost hooks. You can always try a slip bobber and see if that helps with the hang ups. Welcome to OFF and those are great pictures for your first post.

Thanks! So do you mean the saltwater degrades the hooks? That is a bit of a relief then. Like I mentioned, losing gear sucks but I'm way more bummed imagining all my line and hooks down there underwater. :(

Irishrover said:
Welcome to OFF Todd nailed it for you. Fishing off those jetty is going to get you snagged no matter what. I never let my line sit. I would cast out then retrieve to cut down on snags but still it would happen.

Darn... That's what I feared. Yeah, the second day we found ourselves retrieving much sooner. My cousin switched it up and she tried using much smaller egg sinkers towards the end.

Thanks for the replies!

T
troutmasta
When I'm fishing the jetty's I use super cheap gear. Also you can tie your weight on with like 10 pound test so when you yank on it that will break and you get all your stuff back. Some people use rubberbands to hold the weight on. The cheaper the hooks the faster they will rust and dissolve. Nice fish, I love black bass!

Welcome to the forum

Tight lines

F
Fishpdx
Try using jigs and lures. You will catch rockfish and even lingcod. less snags. But you would probably have a better chance with live bait.

Aervax
Aervax
Losing all that lead in the rocks gets expensive fast. I carry a package of little 2 inch X 3 inch cotton cloth cinch sacks in my surf box. I bought them at a tackle store, but I bet they can be found at craft stores too. Fill them with pebbles and sand and cinch the sack shut. You now have an inexpensive, weight adjustable, biodegradable weight that you do not mind losing so much.

EOBOY
EOBOY
I've fished the Jetty for years, you can also catch crabs there on a rod with a crab rig. Love the pics.

Q
qwapaw
OK, I am old and my mind is goofy since I had the high fever a while back, but I can't remember where Bar-view is. Can someone clue me in. Thanks you guys and gals are a great help. Qwapaw

EOBOY
EOBOY
qwapaw said:
OK, I am old and my mind is goofy since I had the high fever a while back, but I can't remember where Bar-view is. Can someone clue me in. Thanks you guys and gals are a great help. Qwapaw

Barview is at the mouth of Tillamook bay, where thr county park is. I sympathize with the memory thing, I forgot what I was going to say!:yikes: