Banking the Umpqua

F
flipper
Contemplating fishing the Umpqua this weekend (Aug 26-28) for salmon at this (roundabout) location: 43.675034,-123.927777

Would anyone have any suggestions as to if this might be a good spot? I'm not looking for anyone's sweet hole, just a general yes/no if the fish are this far up the river yet.

As I am new to salmon/steelhead fishing, I'll be bobber/bait fishing. Assuming using roe/prawns would work?

Thanks for any info, looking forward to getting some lines in the water :D

R
rippin fish lips
throw the prawns away and put a chunk of sardine or herring on the eggs, i have been thinkin about hitting it to.

F
flipper
Thanks for the advice ripping! :)

M
Mad dog
The fall chinook are pretty far up the river but the water is warm and the current heat wave will not improve the salmon bite.

If I was going to bank it on the Umpqua, I would probably fish Half moon bay, Osprey point or the Terminal fishery in the small boat basin at Harbor(fish near dock D). There are bright Chinook and hatchery coho being caught daily now!

R
rippin fish lips
flipper said:
Thanks for the advice ripping! :)

your welcome! Take the sardine/herring and fillet them, then cut them in about 1/2 - inch steaks with the skin on. throw it in the bait loopwith your eggs, i imagine that if you put the skin facing out for flash u may get more hits.

You might even fillet up a herring and sardine and cut the fillets in 1/4 -1/2 inch steaks and throw one of each on it. I imagine it would be killer and that you may catch a lot of coho and nooks with it if you are there at the right time.