Bank fishing for salmon and steelhead

J
joes75
I'm looking for some decent spots to start bank fishing in the area. Specifically for salmon and steelhead. I was out at milo mcciver park today for a bit and walked a bit along the north side of the park along the river and noticed people had been out there. I have also heard about people using oxbow park. how are these locations? is there some place better that I should start with? areas I would like to explore would be the williamette, sandy, clackamus, columbia. Portland metro within reason.

I'm new to the area so I'm just trying to get an idea of some good spots to start with. I'm not looking for your secrets spots or anything :lol: but any help would be appreciated.
cheers
joe

oh yeah.... this is in prep for springer season coming up, so I guess I can practice on steelhead until then. thanks!

M
meluvtrout
here you go, this'll get you started until you get some new fishing buddies... welcome to the forum. tell us about yourself a bit when you have a chance...

J
joes75
whoa! thanks a lot guys. this should be good to get me started.

so I guess a brief bit about me... well it all started the other day when I was in phils meat market and saw a 50 lb king salmon. I was so blown away. I decided that since salmon is my favorite fish I would try to fish for it, perhaps to save money, but mainly just to do it. So I went to sportsmans warehouse and created a whole setup and now have pretty much everything I need, accept waders.

I moved here from Pittsburgh after I got laid off. been here since sept. moved here with hopes of finding a better job but still dont have one. but I guess thats happening a lot around here. I havent really fished since I was ten or so, with my great grandpa. so I wanted to get back into it, and hence me finding OFF. sweet.

H
Hawk
Howdy Brother Joes75. Welcome to the Family..................:D

I've never bean to Portland. I guess U could say i'm one of the last of the mountain men......................................:lol::lol::lol::lol:...................................:cool::cool:

F
FishSchooler
Hawk said:
Howdy Brother Joes75. Welcome to the Family..................:D

I've never bean to Portland. I guess U could say i'm one of the last of the mountain men......................................:lol::lol::lol::lol:...................................:cool::cool:

Mountain men have..................... computers?

Welcome joes!

J
joes75
well I went out for my first time today. went to clackamete park and fished off that little point there. going was ok. I learned that I can't cast for s**t, but I guess I got the hang of it.

I'd say there was about 15 or so fishing off the bank... at both clackamete and on the other side. and of course a lot of boats. was fortunate enough to meet a couple guys and chat and found out pretty much nobody fishes with a bobber there so I stopped off at sportsmans and resupplied with something that should work a bit better. in the time I was out there I didn't see anybody get a bite or catch anything. I dont think I caught anything because of user error but hey gotta start someplace.

what are some good hours to aim at salmon and steelhead? I was out there from 7 to 11 about until I had to run errands, so I figure that was about right...

Last edited by a moderator: