Baitcasting reel advice needed.

D
DirectDrive
waco said:
i was searching for old post about baitcast reels because im thinking of getting one but i have too many questions and i hope some one can help me!!!
first a guy recommend me the shimano calcutta 151 then another guy told me about the curado but if i want to save some money to get the citica then the revo from abu garcia!!! i dont know what to do!! what do you guys use and recommend???? i want this reel for steelhead!!! please help thanks

1. You should start your own thread, but I'll toss out a couple of nuggets.....

a. You list "round" reels and low profile (low-pro) reels....decide which type you like better
b. You also need to know if you require left crank or right crank
c. Budget....how much can you spend ?

F
fish4life
I would go with the citica I have 2 curados and one citica and I can not find enough difference between the two to warrant spending the extra money. I can say one thing once you use one you wont want to go back to ambassadeurs a least for casting I keep those for boat fishing and bobber fishing. With a curado or citica filled with 10# maxima I can cast far enough with a steely to be able to see the spool.

F
fish4life
another thing to mention I had a calcutta 200te it cost me over three hundred bucks, Dont get me wrong very nice reel but in my opinion the citica or the curado works just as well for less money, I ended up selling it on ebay when I was short on cash. I also had a gl2 8-17 steelhead rod and went I sent it to loomis to get it repaired they sent me back a new one I took it to fishermans and traded it for the gl3 which cost me an extra 100 bucks It is a good rod but I dont think there is enough difference to justify the extra money. I think it is good to have good equiptment but sometimes think the high end stuff is not much better than the middle area.

W
waco
DirectDrive said:
1. You should start your own thread, but I'll toss out a couple of nuggets.....

a. You list "round" reels and low profile (low-pro) reels....decide which type you like better
b. You also need to know if you require left crank or right crank
c. Budget....how much can you spend ?
thanks for the response
i dont know very much about this kind of reels this will be my first casting reel thats why im asking about it
i would like to get a left crank
i think i can spend couple hundreds but if not necesary i wouldn't im not looking for something fancy just something that it would work well!!!

D
DirectDrive
Go handle some at the store.
See if you like round or low-pro.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Anything Abu man!

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
BTDT on the whole round vs. lo-pro battle - and lo-pro won out. I have a round reel on my heavy salmon/sturg outfit. I don't cast that a whole lot, and when I do, it uses a lot of weight so not an issue. With the lighter steelhead/bassin setups - the low pro is the way to go. Much easier to cast lighter baits/lures, easier on the hand with lots of fishing. My favorite reel has become my Revo SL (that's the Revo S, left hand crank model). It casts like a dream, it's light weight, and it's just awesome.

I'm a big Shimano fan, but for my low pro bait caster reels, I'm pretty stuck on my Revo. I plan on getting another, for my currently reel-less bait caster.