Asking for help!

T
troutfisherman
rod names: diamonds, flight or flightless, down stream, light, S.F.R (stream flies rod or reels)

lol well i tryed !!!

W
waco
What about X-tream flies rod and reels!!! or just X-tream rods and reels!!!

H
halibuthitman
with the intense competition in a tight market I would want a name that implies rugged reliability... if they were steelhead wts I would go with a name like Anvil fly Rods. for trout weights I would go with a name that implies a higher level of inner conciousness ( thats what a lot of guys claim they achieve or are looking for ) like Serenity Fly rods, if trying to appeal to the younger hard rollin youth crowd I would go with a names for the individual rods based on handgun calibres, or if you build a glass or cane rod I would call it the 4:20.. good luck with your venture- and I give you permission to build a 9' 4 piece glass rod with spigot ferules and a nice tarpon ball fighting butt and call it the Hitman-:lol::rolleyes::lol:

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
"Angling Addict"
"Taildancer"
"Nirvana Wands"
"Fly Flinger"
"Wild Waters" or "Wild Water"
"Native Fisher"

And for size/weight specifics...

"Big Water"
"Small Water"
"Lip Ripper" (good bass rod name)
"Jaw Jacker" (saltwater rod?)
"Lip Pinner" (trout rod?)

And a play off my Blog's name...

"Water Flogger" or "Water Flogger Rods"

:) I'm a big fan of light rods with moderate actions and pretty hardware. A 7 or 8 foot 3 or 4 piece rod for a 2 to 4 weight line would be super!

I like HHM's idea though - of a fiberglass rod with spigot ferrules - though I'd go for something in a moderate weight not necessarily needing a fighting butt. Something like a 5 or 6 weight, with a nice hand filling reversed half-wells or western style grip, uplocking reel seat with a walnut or rosewood insert, and subdued hardware color (like satin nickel?) would be something I'd drool over for sure.

Last edited:
GungasUncle
GungasUncle
I thought of a couple more...

"Levithan Series"
"Stream Stalkers"
"Whisper Rod"
"Elemental" or "Element Series"
"River Runner"

"StreamFlies Signature Series" (then again, everyone seems to have a Signature Series or Heritage Series, so that doesn't stand out much)

"Boom Sticks"

"Elite Angler"

R
redhawk50
You could go scientific and use the genus name for most of the fish that will be caught on your rods. So the rods would be called "Oncorhynchus" fly rods and then for each style you could add a genus name of a real fish or dig up some other latin or greek root word to use. The only issue you would have is Oncorhynchus Mykiss is both for rainbow trout and steelhead. Our you could do the line weights in latin. So Oncorhynchus Octo would be your eight weight rod. Of course then your six weight would be Oncorhynchus Sex which could be kind of catchy.

For fly reels, sticking with the latin greek theme, go with Piscator which in latin means an angler or fisherman. That could work good for fly rods as well. Piscation means fishing or the act of fishing.

Could have some fun going greek or latin.

J
jimmy
"SWING SYSTEM"
"SUBTLE" or "SUDDLE"
"BUG TOOLS"
"FIN HUNTER"
"SEAM SEEKER"

troutdude
troutdude
halibuthitman said:
or if you build a glass or cane rod I would call it the 4:20.

Hmmm...that would be a nice spin on split bamboo! LOL <hemp does make really good, long lasting, and even "green" insulation after all>

C
ChezJfrey
Modest_Man's really caught my eye: Aquaholic Rods and Reels - Fueling The Addiction

I'm keen on the whimsical/utilitarian names...things like:

Lunker Lever
Fishtrap
Pescatrap
Angler Saxon
D'angler

Heck, even the childlike descriptive, like:

Flinger

However, given the er, ahem, snootier ;) demographic of the target market, those types of names don't usually 'fly' LOL!

Given that, the suggestion to go Greek/Latin might have greater appeal:

Piscis
Flumen
Fluo
Aequor
Pluma

Last edited:
F
flyguy
Wow. Lots of great ideas...I'm making a list of my favorites. With so many great ideas, I might have to come out with several lines. Thanks for the help so far...

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Hey Flyguy - any luck in picking the name for your new rods?

F
flyguy
I have not decided on a name for the rods yet. I have decided to start carrying several styles of fly boxes first and expand to rods this summer. I am still working on the name...I think I just jumped the gun a bit.

I do like several of the names that were suggested. Thanks again for all of your ideas. I'm sure I'll be using one or more of them!