Are you happy with 10"

F
FishSchooler
Just adding... larger fish have a much larger chance of survival... leading to spawning, etc.

M
Markcanby
Yes I agree that there are great places that are not stock but with a 4hr drive an 100$ gas to get to then I can't do it more then a couple times a year.

My thought is as posted above about the increased size limit, more fly/lure only, an the point made about overstocking lakes with stockers that have a great potential to grow nice natives.

I am just tired of of a fish an game management system that is set up to manage money not fish an game.

M
Markcanby
Also as for your Crooked River in the summer mounths they have a bait season an the size of fish has gone down 4" in the last 5 years.

For the point about fishing the lake dry why does anyone need 5 trout just to trash them anyway. 2 trout even in the 10" range are plenty for a meal. If you want to have a fish fry go to Safeway.

T
troutmasta
First off stocked fish are placed there to be caught killed and eaten and thats what happens. I've seen countless sets of parents with their kids along the bank having the time of thier life catching stockers. Not everyone that enjoys fishing cares if its 10in or 16in and thats why when you get in the car drive for 1/2 hour set up your lawn chair and fish with your pole in a pole holder thats what you get. Its supposed to be easy, and therefore inticing to those new to the world of fishing. I've hooked many a newbie onto fishing by going to trillium or harriet and Catching not Fishing. It seems to me that some have almost an elitest attitude to those in the angling world that dont know what a belly boat is or can't tell a brookie from a brown. If you dont like stockers go to a river, hike into a nice little alpine lake, ocean, ponds, go target kokane at timothy, go get a steelhead summer or winter, salmon spring or fall. We live in such a geologicly diverse area that there is always somewhere where you can go target something special. Plus if your on this forum your probably fairly competent when it comes to a rod and reel. I can go to Harriet and target browns all day, and produce browns. Threre are monsters in Trillium way back in the weeds. But, if you want to pull off the side of the highway, wedge in between the lawn chairs, step over the little kids and then cast your powerbait free barbless catch and release hook from your $300 loomis with you florocarbon line. Then you might be dissapointed because these family environments are exactly that a place where dad can throw the kids in, grab the wife, and go CATCH fish. Me, you'll find me in waders 4 A.M middle of the sandy freezing my tail off Cause in the real world thats what it takes to produce the fish that I want to take home. If I maybe have a couple extra hours in a day and just want to go fishing with my girl, We'll be in our lawn chairs, poles in holders, USING POWERBAIT fishin for 10" ers and loving it. Thanks ODFW!!!!
Also power bait is worthless in any environment except nice still water. Coincidently thats where the stockers are that people catch to kill and eat. (so it works out.) As far as its effect on the envi
ronment lead weights, beer cans, CIGARETTE BUTTS, campfire pits, rubber worms, monofilament tangles, foot traffic, ect.... are all devestating and all unfortunatly common in these places. Removing powerbait will not solve the problem. We need to educate people on being good stewards of the land.
So if you hate powerbait and 10" fish, then DON'T go to the lake where powerbait is legal and the fish are 10" in long. ( I know I know it seems tuff to comprehend.:confused:)
You may disagree with me and thats fine to each there own but if you agree then lets pull up some lawn chairs crack a cold one and ball up some powerbait I got all sorts of colors to mix:D

Reactions: Fishtopher and Pita
M
Markcanby
FishSchooler said:
Just adding... larger fish have a much larger chance of survival... leading to spawning, etc.

In BC lakes that don't get the pressure to control breeding they stock sterile fish.

M
Markcanby
I'm not saying that we don't need easy places for people to take there kids just that a little planning would be nice. There are plenty of ponds around the valley that are not stocked in the winter that could be. Also lakes like Trillium an Clear that have slower ecosystem make those you fish markets.
Keep Timothy an Detroit as they are an make some of the health little lakes a place to catch a nice fish within 2hrs of Portland.

Some may not remember but before the land slide that put 1/3 of Timothy's traffic right past Harriet it was a quiet little fishing hole that grew great fish.

As for Oregon being a great place with such a diverse fishery stop fooling yourself ask people where is the best place to fish for SteelHead they will say Niagara River. Salmon is the same all these fish came from here but we are second to them. Even Alaska is starting to fall behind.

Im out of room.:mad:

T
troutmasta
Peace... I've lived in many many places, if you think oregon doesn't have the best geological diversity you need to get out more. The ocean, mountains, desert, rivers, ponds, lakes, rainforests, alpine forrest, all within 2 hrs of portland! To many spoiled oregon anglers. I for one treasure the plethora of outdoor opportunities that await me in the beaver state.
P.S that great fish in my pic grew up at harriet right in the middle of the powerbait and stockers.

Last edited:
Irishrover
Irishrover
Please don't take any of my comments as argumentative. I was just trying to offer differn't places to fish that maybe more to your style of fishing. I'm the lucky retired type of guy who has the ability to get out and away. As far as the Crooked River goes it wouldn't hurt my feelings if they treated it like the Deschutes. Both beautiful places to fish.

You are right about Alaska. I took a guy salmon fishing out of Newport, he had just come back from Alaska where he got skunked after spending $3,500 on the trip. He our wives and I limited my boat and at one time had four on at once:D That trip only cost him a halibut fish and chips dinner.;)

B
bd2cool
Hi all,

What a good day on Leaburg lake.
My buddy and I put in at 7 this morning and had a great day of fishing.
Since we didn't catch any large trout or make any new world records I won't bore any one here with the details of having fun.

Silly me I thought that the whole idea of fishing was being with friends and enjoying fishing.
I guess that us low folks should only post our trips and pictures when we catch fish up to your all level.

Thank god that this is not the only website for fishing-I am out of here.

W
watchout trout
I learned how to fish catching planted trout and so have my 3 girls and my boy will when he is old enough. I love catch and release for native fish. But my kids like to cook a fish when they catch it. They eat everything they take home.

S
smokemwhenucatchem
please dont leave forever. I live vicariously through your postings about leaburg lake. It has become a favorite place of mine but I just dont seem to make the time to go. maybe Ill go thursday maybe friday. anyway please keep posting your trips. Your fishing trips are big time to a little fish like me.

G
GoneFishin2134
Troutmasta makes a very good point. Also That is why we have Stocked Triploid trout..Most of the rainbows are triploids, so they can't reproduce. No need for over population of lakes, when they are meant to be caught, easily on bait or anything. I have read many posts were people even use bait on Salmon, steelhead. Guess that should be banned too, strictly artificial.:rolleyes:

So is everyone against using bait in the Ocean? How about Live bait, for larger fish? I guess I need to take my Fly-rod with me next time I go out on the ocean...

Come on people. They are Stocked trout! Its like going to a trout farm, minus the easy catch, all you must do is Fish more to find them. 10" trout are fine for most fisherman. You don't need to be purely artificial to be a fishermen or to be called one either. Bait has been used much longer than artificial lures. If you don't like it whatever right? It up to the user whether they want to use bait or not, that is why we have the option. Not everyone wants to Work "Fish" hard.

F
Fishtopher
bd2cool said:
Hi all,

Since we didn't catch any large trout or make any new world records I won't bore any one here with the details of having fun.

Silly me I thought that the whole idea of fishing was being with friends and enjoying fishing.
I guess that us low folks should only post our trips and pictures when we catch fish up to your all level.

Thank god that this is not the only website for fishing-I am out of here.
bd, this IS the only website for fishing!! I thought you knew that!:lol:

Really, I know Im not speaking for just myself when i say your reports are appreciated, as well as enjoyed. Stick around my man. You can post all the guppies ya want;), I still enjoy the pics and your detailed reports too:).

You nailed it up there in my opinion with the family and friends and enjoying it part.

G
GDBrown
Sometimes I just get out the fly rod in the back yard!!!

Sometimes I just get out the fly rod in the back yard!!!

It is about the passing of time in an enjoyable manner.

I love to golf too but I am not good at it and I get frustrated as H___, but I still take a club out in the back yard sometimes.

I spend my time on the water (river or lake) becasue I enjoy passing time in that manner. Catching a fish is a bonus for me, getting to eat one is a bonus for my wife. She encourages my passtime because she knows I'm easier to live with and less DEPRESSED when I get home.

If I really want fish I'll go to Safeway or just get out the trusty FLY Rod and do some real ANGLING!!!:cool:

GD

18406ej
18406ej
I am not sure how such an innocent post started such trouble. Hopefuly bd2cool will reconsider, as I enjoyed his input. I do know that bait has its place, as does every other lawful angling method. It is up to the individual to decide what method is best for him or her.

Come on back, bd.

M
Markcanby
Yes it was not my intent to upset people. And I do agree about having places for Kids an people new to fishing to go an have a good time. I just don't feel that every lake within 100 miles of Portland should be used for this.
An yes I realize there are hike in lakes that don't get stocked anymore that I could go to but that is kinda the same as diving to Eastern OR its just not something I can get up an go do on a whim. Besides most of them were messed up by ODFW with the Brookies that have overpopulated to a point where if you get a 10" you got a trophy.

So I apologize to any offended by my wanting to have some good places to fish within 2hrs of Portland. I just find it sad that places where our fish have been planted seem to be able to manage them better than us.

Reactions: beaverfan
G
GDBrown
Check out the thread on the Tualatin River. There are some creeks out in the valley that hold some nice fish and never get any pressure. All would be C&R I'm sure.

T
troutmasta
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and in the process of expressing mine I hope I didn't offend anyone myself. This forum kicks some serious tail and GREAT things have come from a bunch of people talking about something they love to do. I really hope no one leaves. This is a neat place with neat people.

B
bd2cool
I not angry at anyone-it just that some time I feel that people are very disrespectful toward planters.
They are for some of us not only our main fishing fun and enjoyment but our food as well.

And sometime my inner-child just takes over and speaks without asking my opinions.

Reactions: Hawk
T
TTFishon
bd2cool said:
I not angry at anyone-it just that some time I feel that people are very disrespectful toward planters.
They are for some of us not only our main fishing fun and enjoyment but our food as well.

And sometime my inner-child just takes over and speaks without asking my opinions.

That's ok. Everyone has a right to there opinions and feelings. It doesn't matter what other people think. What matters is how you feel and if you feel that way then that's ok. Even if others disagree.

Reactions: Hawk