Are Odell Kokes still schooled up?

S
SunnyBend
I'm heading up to Odell from Bend this Sat 6/20 and wondered if the Kokes are still jumping and schooled up? Anybody with a recent report to give?
Thanx in advance.

M
mckie
I was there Wednesday and didn't see three fish jump all day. It was windy and wavy though. Sonar seemed to show small groups of fish, or individuals. And fishing was s l o w. I went home with 4 fish, 5:30 AM until 1:00 PM on the water.

J
JeannaJigs
Well that's not promising. I'm headed up saturday as well, but not until the afternoon, so camping saturday and then fishing in the AM on Sunday...the weather report looks unfavorable for saturday so looks like I won't be missing much.

B
bluefoxfan
We fished Odell on Sat. Put in at Trappers creek at 1pm and fished til 4. We caught 6 fish in the bay right off the ramp casting Gibbs Minnows. We also found a bunch of fish off Trappers creek in 105 ft of water. But they would not bite anything. Maybe a large school of whitefish :lol:

J
JeannaJigs
well damn. I do know historically that the majority of the catching in my experience has been between 5-7 am, and 7-8 PM. so maybe it'll be good? lol. maybe..if not, at least I'm outta Eugene for the weekend on the water!

Troutski
Troutski
Trout...

Trout...

JeannaJigs said:
well damn. I do know historically that the majority of the catching in my experience has been between 5-7 am, and 7-8 PM. so maybe it'll be good? lol. maybe..if not, at least I'm outta Eugene for the weekend on the water!

Don't forget about the Rainbow Trout in that lake, try fishing at all those little creeks coming in; people don't think of that lake as a Trout fishery. Great table fare....yummmm. Keep in mind that Trapper Creek is closed but there are quite a few creeks that are open.

Chuck

J
JeannaJigs
We didn't even get on out on the water! :( We went up saturday afternoon to do some camping stuff, and we were going to fish sunday. 4:30 AM it was like an ice cold hurricane. Normally I'd go out in this, but the person I was with is terrified of water, and wouldn't go out. It was rough, really rough. Much more so than I have seen it in a few years. Bigger boats appeared to be struggling, but were making do. So we just sat around our campsite watching the lake...waiting for it...hoping that it would lay down at least a little bit, enough to take our tiny boat out...but it never did. So fishing wise...it was a weekend wasted :(

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Soggy,windy weekend

Soggy,windy weekend

Bummer! Sorry to hear about your much anticipated trip turning out like that. Sure hope you get back there before you march OFF into the service. My son and I were up at Breitenbush after giving up on the Santiam. We got drenched in both places. Luckily,I took three fire logs from the family room so we stayed fairly warm. I punctured holes in an old canning pot for a portable fire pit. Works like a charm.
Be safe.
Barb

S
SunnyBend
Thanks Jeanna

Thanks Jeanna

Thanks for your great tips and info. I still hope to get back up to Odell one more time. I know that soon the Kokes will spread out throughout the lake and be harder to catch.
Better luck on your next trip

J
JeannaJigs
An update on Odell

An update on Odell

The fish were still schooled up...the fish finder was black....they were jumping all over the place...at 05:00 07/04/09, it looked to be promising, the story would repeat itself again yesterday...

For the 18 hours we put in fishing this weekend....

We kept two fish.

TWO.

Uno, dos...Two.

T-W-O.

yep. Hooked up a whole entire...probably ten times (with three lines in the water), but there were only two unlucky fish to vacation in the cooler.

Wouldn't have kept even those two, but they were caught around 05:15 saturday morning and we thought with all the action it was going to be "hot" and would limit. Hahaha....ohhh so wrong.

No one was catching anything. I talked to an old guy that's been fishing up there for forty years, and he only had six fish to show for his efforts saturday, so I didn't feel terrible about my fishing skills (or apparantly this time, lack thereof), realizing that even the "Pro's" were going home empty handed.