Are jetty and surf fishing a thing in the winter?

F
Fred
Are rock bass, kelp greenling, surf perch etc biting during the winter? I’ve been wanting to go surf fishing and hit the jetty for rock bass I love how they taste. Since I’m talking about eating them are they open to retention in the winter?

C_Run
Yes and yes but be careful out there. Don't go if it's going to be rough. There have been warnings about sneaker waves off and on this winter.

Reactions: Fred and BrandonBeach
B
BrandonBeach
Winter surf fishing...........

The sneaker wave is a real danger.
Other than that, use one of the wave height predection sites. I go to Magic Seaweed for wave height info. Under 5-6 ft swells and moderate wind is my “line in the sand”. Always keep an eye on the surf, even on calmer days. I was knocked off my feet twice at the Bandon south jetty while standing on the wet sand, I wasn’t even in the surf. Always use a waist belt over your waders when wearing chest waders.

Careful on the jettys, those wet rocks can be really slippery, and it’s a nightmare situation getting hit by a big wave on one. I won’t fish the jetty’s just not nimble enough anymore.

Pick your day/place on the ocean wisely, and go prepared.

Good luck, be safe.

BB

Reactions: Alan and Fred
Fummus
Aye Fred they are active and just as tasty in winter as any other time of the year, but Brandon and C Run's advice can not be over stated. Safety must be a priority, cause that ocean can kill you quicker than you can say "$#&! " with your mouth open.

Reactions: Fred
F
Fred
Thanks for the advice I’ll be sure to put my wader belt on, and to keep my eyes on the waves at all times .

plumbertom
Yep. whether on jetty rocks or beach sand NEVER turn your back on the Ocean.

rogerdodger
Yep. whether on jetty rocks or beach sand NEVER turn your back on the Ocean.
also applies to sitting (or standing) on a kayak on the Ocean.