Anybody try for some bass yet?!

H
huabrandon
Thinking of hitting the lake this weekend for some bass if the weather holds. Seeing if anybody has been bass fishing recently and what have you been using. Trying to see if it is worth the trip. If things don't go well, there is always trout. haha. Thanks!

F
FishFinger
The lake was reported to be 44 degrees and speculation is bass would be deeper and sluggish until the water warms up.

But, you never know there could be a monster gobbling up trout like fish sticks.....

kidholiday
kidholiday
When I was there on opening weekend the water was 41 degrees. I saw a lot of fish on electronics but no action. The smallies should start getting more active as the temp gets closer to 55 degrees.. That being said I have nailed bass in sub 40 degree water, so what do I know. I am planning on getting out there on Weds.

kidholiday
kidholiday
I was just out there on Weds, The water temp is rising. Most of the lake is around 49 degrees average. With any luck and warmer weather. I should say the water could be close to 55 degrees in just over a week. I saw a lot of fish suspended around the 15-25 foot range, but no hits of anything I threw at them. Soon the Smallies will be moving up.

K
K406
Saw a nice fat little smaller caught today in one of the arms on the ramp A side right in close to shore by a boat. Otherwise have just seen trout being pulled in overall.

C
cpeaslee
Water temp was up to 50.5 this afternoon. Clarity is improving. Temp needs to warm a bit more. We're close...

D
Dillonewolf
Can anyone tell me what lures and bait work best on the bass at Hagg lake? I also need the types, brands, and colors of the lures that you mention

B
Born2Fish55
You can use almost any pattern of Rebel or Rapala... I prefer deep or mid runners douched with Mehaden, Bloody Tuna, Earthworm, or Anise/Shrimp and slow trolled along the deeper weedbeds or structure this time of the year and I put emphasis on slow! You can also entice fish with a Wacky Worm Carolina rigged and dragged through the weeds.

Colors vary way too much, but try darker Earth tones or motor oil. A little later try dragging Crawfish patterns along the Dam or rocks.

Reactions: FishFinger
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Born2Fish55 said:
Colors vary way too much, but try darker Earth tones or motor oil.
Motor oil? Actual motor oil or the color of it?

B
Born2Fish55
Raincatcher said:
Motor oil? Actual motor oil or the color of it?

The color of Motor Oil.... the use of Motor Oil might tend to raise the hackle on a few, like the EPA and DEQ :yikes:

Another couple of colors that produce are Grape and Pumpkinseed, good luck and tight lines! :thumb:

C
cpeaslee
Born2Fish55 said:
The color of Motor Oil.... the use of Motor Oil might tend to raise the hackle on a few, like the EPA and DEQ :yikes:

Another couple of colors that produce are Grape and Pumpkinseed, good luck and tight lines! :thumb:

Well, I had better empty the Pennzoil out of my fish scent spray bottle. ;)

B
Born2Fish55
cpeaslee said:
Well, I had better empty the Pennzoil out of my fish scent spray bottle. ;)

:lol:

B
Born2Fish55
You're not the one that left the WD40 Oil slick over by Ramp A last week are you? Someone in a red rowboat was laying down a fog everytime they got ready to cast with a can of it... worse than some of the Sturgeon fishermen in the lower Columbia used to years ago! :bleh:

C
cpeaslee
Ha! No.

But, we used to use WD40 for sturgeon on the Willamette back in the 80's.

Speaking of attractant, I have become very fond of a product called Mega Strike when fishing soft baits for bass. I find that I get more strikes and hook ups as a result of the fish hanging on a bit longer. It was a key part of my bass fishing last year during prespawn, spawn, and post spawn fishing at Hagg lake.

B
Born2Fish55
Mega Strike is pretty good huh? I have a tube of it..... but have been using my own mixes for the past few years. Think I may try it up in Lake Vernonia this weekend.

B
Born2Fish55
When is the Bass bite starting up in force?

When is the Bass bite starting up in force?

Anyone seeing any movement yet? With the sun hitting the water, it should be warming up and getting them on the move and hopefully onto the bite mood!
I am thinking of trying Lake Vernonia for Largemouth, Bluegill and Crappie this coming weekend unless I change my mind and run down for the Whiskey Creek Fin Clip on Saturday (great event for kids!).