Any steelhead or spring chinook success in the salem/portland area?

F
flymann
Hi!

I plan on getting out and going fishing this weekend for steelhead or spring chinook, and need some advice (I'm very new to fishing in general). I will be using a spinning rod, and do not know where to go or what to use. I've been thinking about heading up to the Clackamas River, and trying some floaters with eggs, but am open to trying anything!

Thanks for the input!!

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF!

There's the Sandy on the east side of Portland. And south is the Clackamas.

East of Salem is the North Santiam.

Most steelies on the South Santiam are now being caught w/ bobbers and jigs or bobbers and pink power worms. Also try small spinners too. Generally brass bodies and blades on an overcast day; and silver/chrome spinners on a bright day.

Good luck.

F
flymann
Great! I will have to pick up some pink power worms and jigs - and give them a shot.

Thanks for the help!

troutdude
troutdude
U R most welcome.

BTW, I've heard that pink or pink & black jigs work well.

C
capblack
where do you live? I prefer the santiam, and there should be springers and summers on the lower santiam, lower the better, try the santiam rest area, jefferson, and greens bridge. good luck, Brian

F
flymann
Thanks for the advice Brian! I was thinking about trying the Santiam this Saturday, and if I do, I will definitely try out a few of those spots. I'm currently living in Corvallis, and will move to Eugene this Summer. I am definitely looking forward to learning as much as I can about the best places to fish in the area, and appreciate everyone's advice!

Thanks again!

J
jathrtn
Drifting!

Drifting!

TO BE HONEST WITH YOU I LIKE THE DRIFT FISHING TACHNIQUE! I STARTED OUT FISHING W BOBBER AND JIGS AND HAVE HAD LUCK, BUT IVE HAD A LOT MORE HOOK UPS DRIFT FISHING EGGS, OR CORKYS AND YARN. I USE ONE SIZE UP FROM THE SMALLEST, AND I TIE A PEICE OF YARN TO MY EGG LOOP, AND THEN TRIM UP THE YARN SO THE TAIL isn't TOO LONG. I USUALLY USE METALLIC ORANGE, OR PINK CORKY AND WHITE YARN. SOMNETIMES IF BRIGHT COLORS ARNT WORKING THAT DAY I WILL USE DARK COLORS, AND THIS CHANGE UP CAN INCREASE YOUR CHANSES FOR A STRIKE. OCCASIONALLY I PUT ON A RAW PRAWN AND THROW THAT OUT AS WELL AND I HAVE HAD RALLY GOOD LUCK WITH STEEL HEAD USING A RAW PRAWN WITH THE SHELL ATTACHED. THE REASON I LIKE DRIFT FISHING BETTER THAN BOBBER AND JIG FISHING IS BECAUSE IT TAKES THE GUESS WORK OUT OF HOW DEEP YOU ARE FISHING. WHEN YOU DRIFT YOU ARE FISHING OFF THE BOTTOM, AND THAT IS WHERE THE STEEL HEAD LIKE TO LAY, THEY USUALLY HOLD TIGHT TO THE BOTTOM AND CLOSE TO BIG BOULDERS AND ROCKS THAT PROVIDE THEM COVER. THE TRICK IS TO USE THE CORRECT AMOUNT OF LEAD TO PREVENT FROM GETTING SNAGGED. IF YOU FIND THAT YOU ARE GETTING SNAGGED UP USE LESS LEAD, BUT YOU WANT TO USE ENOUGH TO GET YOUR RIG DOWN TO THE STRIKE ZONE FAST. THROW'EM THE KITCHEN SINK AS THEY SAY. I LIKE TO FISH THE CLACK BETEER THAN THE SANDY, THAT IS JUST MY OPINION. :cool:

M
mgdguy
jathrtn said:
TO BE HONEST WITH YOU I LIKE THE DRIFT FISHING TACHNIQUE! I STARTED OUT FISHING W BOBBER AND JIGS AND HAVE HAD LUCK, BUT IVE HAD A LOT MORE HOOK UPS DRIFT FISHING EGGS, OR CORKYS AND YARN. I USE ONE SIZE UP FROM THE SMALLEST, AND I TIE A PEICE OF YARN TO MY EGG LOOP, AND THEN TRIM UP THE YARN SO THE TAIL isn't TOO LONG. I USUALLY USE METALLIC ORANGE, OR PINK CORKY AND WHITE YARN. SOMNETIMES IF BRIGHT COLORS ARNT WORKING THAT DAY I WILL USE DARK COLORS, AND THIS CHANGE UP CAN INCREASE YOUR CHANSES FOR A STRIKE. OCCASIONALLY I PUT ON A RAW PRAWN AND THROW THAT OUT AS WELL AND I HAVE HAD RALLY GOOD LUCK WITH STEEL HEAD USING A RAW PRAWN WITH THE SHELL ATTACHED. THE REASON I LIKE DRIFT FISHING BETTER THAN BOBBER AND JIG FISHING IS BECAUSE IT TAKES THE GUESS WORK OUT OF HOW DEEP YOU ARE FISHING. WHEN YOU DRIFT YOU ARE FISHING OFF THE BOTTOM, AND THAT IS WHERE THE STEEL HEAD LIKE TO LAY, THEY USUALLY HOLD TIGHT TO THE BOTTOM AND CLOSE TO BIG BOULDERS AND ROCKS THAT PROVIDE THEM COVER. THE TRICK IS TO USE THE CORRECT AMOUNT OF LEAD TO PREVENT FROM GETTING SNAGGED. IF YOU FIND THAT YOU ARE GETTING SNAGGED UP USE LESS LEAD, BUT YOU WANT TO USE ENOUGH TO GET YOUR RIG DOWN TO THE STRIKE ZONE FAST. THROW'EM THE KITCHEN SINK AS THEY SAY. I LIKE TO FISH THE CLACK BETEER THAN THE SANDY, THAT IS JUST MY OPINION. :cool:

This is really great advice - makes me want to go out and practice my drift fishing more!

Easy on the CAPS though buddy ;)

troutdude
troutdude
Yes indeed. Typing in ALL CAPS is technically called "flaming", and it indicates that you are very angry. So, it's wise to avoid all caps unless you truly are upset about something.

M
metalfisher76
He was a bit late too. But yeah good advice!

J
jathrtn
Caps!

Caps!

When i posted the reply i just kept the caps lock on the key board on, I was saving some files on my computer and when I do that i use the caps lock. It just makes it a little easier for me to find a file that Im looking for, im not an angry guy. :) Now that I know what the caps represent I will fix em!:cool:

troutdude
troutdude
We just didn't want you to accidentally offend anyone.

Glad you understand and appreciated the suggestion.

F
flymann
Wow thanks jathrtn!!!
I am headed up north to try the clack and willamette this weekend and can't wait to try your drifting technique! Thanks for the advice, I will let you know if I get anything. :)