Any new updates? 09-29-11

T
TimberTodd
I was on the lake from 8:30-12:00 today. I stuck with fishing for smallmouth with no success. No rain, but the wind started picking up so I called it quits and got off the water. I did see 3 fish pulled in by a couple of guys on the bank above ramp A. There were 2 boats besides myself on the lake and only 1 guy fishing from the bank at ramp C. I was suprised to see no-one fishing the cove at the dam. There were a few fish rolling and none were very big. I must have heard a dozen gun shots from the hills. I too have experienced the mystery plunk while fishing. It was on upper tidewater on the Coos river during deer season. It does get ones attention.
Todd

B
bernduffy
Yeah, Todd: that sizzling plunk just three feet to the left would have skewered one of my pontoons. Not to mention me, though I doubt the velocity was lethal at that point. Big reminder to wear my pfd at all times. Shhh...it happens.

D
Denduran87
Sunday

Sunday

Went out sunday and cuaght and released all evening bagging our limit by 8(about 3hrs). Took home 15 okay trout, nothing to write home to mom about but, they still taste good. Using a single hook with power eggs or powerbait off the bottom with sliding sinker. 16-24 inches from the hook. Worm on occasion but wasn't getting much off that. Nicest one was about 14 inches and got stuck with one just above legal limit cuase it sucked down the hook. Overall not a bad day still waiting for some brood trout though!

B
bernduffy
Good job on taking advantage of the evening bite. Love those Hagg 14 inchers. That's a real fish.
Sometimes when landing at dusk, if I don't have the limit, I'll cast out and leave my rod in the holder while I get the truck and load up the gear from the pontoon boat. I swear half the time I catch something.

D
Denduran87
bernduffy said:
Good job on taking advantage of the evening bite. Love those Hagg 14 inchers. That's a real fish.
Sometimes when landing at dusk, if I don't have the limit, I'll cast out and leave my rod in the holder while I get the truck and load up the gear from the pontoon boat. I swear half the time I catch something.

Yea my pole(s) is the very last thing to be packed up if i haven't got my limit yet.

T
tangov559
anyone know when the brooders are coming?

B
bernduffy
Was toonin' around Hagg yesterday. Overcast with rain showers off and on. Water still a warm 63. More company than last week...and fewer catches from my casual friendly survey. Lots of small stockers taken or released, but definitely harder to come by the big ones. Though 3 out of the ten or so folks I chatted with did net 14" or larger. Including a bank fisherman. Nice to see a shore-man score, man! Wide variety in baits/lures seemed to work with single worm with power egg/bait trolled slowly behind fender the most successful. I think that the previous two weeks were kind of amazing and its either been fished out or the fish have smartened up under pressure. I caught four small stockers, a 7" bluegill and a fat 13" catfish which came 10 feet off the bottom to take a trout lure tipped with a worm...what the-! I did connect with a good size trout, but the 8# maxima leader broke off, probably due to nicks. I have to remember to inspect and change line and leaders at this point in the season. I got lazy and lost the fish of the day. No worries: I'll hit Hagg every week til closing . I was there the last day of the season last year, still catching nice ones...in the snow!

H
Hendo30
Hey Bernduffy, sounds like a success, Great report and mucj appreciated. I am heading out about 3pm this afternoon either to Vernonia Pond, Dorman Pond or Hagg (Havent decided yet). More then likley I will end up at Hagg and hope to have a report to share. Keep up the good work and thanks again for sharing.

D
Denduran87
Just a side note last year between four of us we took home 3 brooders and lost 2 from the bank so bankies aren't out of luck for them.

B
bernduffy
Denduran87 said:
Just a side note last year between four of us we took home 3 brooders and lost 2 from the bank so bankies aren't out of luck for them.

Oh, def. In fact because the brooders cruise so close to the bank, it's one of those times territorial annoyance can happen twixt bankers and boaters. My take on it: boaters have exclusive access to 80% of the bank; give the shore force their bit.

D
Denduran87
bernduffy said:
Oh, def. In fact because the brooders cruise so close to the bank, it's one of those times territorial annoyance can happen twixt bankers and boaters. My take on it: boaters have exclusive access to 80% of the bank; give the shore force their bit.

I wish more boaters out there shared your opinion!!!:clap:

T
tangov559
just got back from hagg..had a great time...bank fishing..bite from the sec my line dropped in the water...fished for about an hour... C&R about 8 nice ones...biggest one about 13 inch....

Last edited:
H
Hendo30
Hey there Tangov559, do you mind me asking what you were using during your sucess? I was out Friday from 4pm-6:30 and actually could see many fish in front of me but no takers..I maining fish for bass but I was throwing a little bit of everything and still nothing, not even any bites from the bank for me.

T
tangov559
Sorry, I guess i forgot to mention that I was fishing for trouts...was just using power eggs and worms....with a slip weight and 2-3 ft lead...i did get a couple small mouth bass using a pantern martin...hope that helps...