Another way to rig thing-a-ma-bobbers

O
OnTheFly
Thing-a-ma-bobbers: A great indicator device. To attach them to your leader, simply fold the leader at the desired point, insert the loop through the eyelet and fold the loop back over the indicator. Although this method is quick and easy, I have found that a 'kink' in the leader is left over at the attachment point after the Thing-a-ma-bobber is removed. Also, the indicator has a tendency to self adjust down the leader while casting. I found a video that demonstrates an alternative method to make up the rig. As you watch the demonstration, I invite you to think further on how to tie on the line past the bobber. I have put this to the test already and have discovered, that instead of the cinch knot shown in the video, create a Surgeons loop in the tippet and connect loop to loop at the Thing-ma-bobber location. I'm wondering if prefabbing this rig at home could become a time saver on the water.:think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcMECA2TvlE&NR=1

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
thats cool thanks for sharing jim, i only use thingamabobbers. they are my fav

O
OnTheFly
brandon4455 said:
thats cool thanks for sharing jim, i only use thingamabobbers. they are my fav
Brandon, Take out a piece of 10lb mono and try it. It's pretty cool.:cool:

brandon4455
brandon4455
will do, i have to tie some steelhead leaders anyways lol

S
skunk
Thanks onthefly, that looks like something to try out.

G
GDBrown
Thanks Jim,

Interesting idea. I'll give it a try next time I'm in that situation.

GD

J
joesnuffy
What I don't like is that I like to adjust the depth that my nymphs are running all of the time.

If you are at a consistant depth this will work fine.

If you are fishing 4ft, then need to drop to 8 ft this won't work.

It's a good idea but I'll stick to attaching the strike indicator on like normal.