Another crabbing report.

plumbertom
plumbertom
Yesterday (10/27) My fishing partner and I went to Coos Bay fro the afternoon low tide.
On the water at Charleston by 11:15 and started dropping our traps by 11:30.
Soaked chicken bait far around 1/2 hr to 45 minutes and then pulled them to find some very nice crab along with the usual shorts and very few females yesterday.
By 2:30 we were limited and then some, so we culled out any crab that were under 6+ inches.
We ended up off the water by 3:00 PM with our two limits and had tossed back easily another limit along with at least 5 soft shells that were of legal size.
Very nice day weather wise with a light breeze and plenty of sun, although I was glad to be on the inside of the bay after watching the waves breaking against the jetty and over topping it every few swells

Reactions: EOBOY
EOBOY
EOBOY
Plumb;

Big Ben and I went to Netarts and got on the water about the same time you did. The bay was full of boats and floats. We went north of the launch and dropped our pots, after about 20 min. we pulled them and only had 1 good size one and a few ladies. Well this went on for a couple of hours, it was slow but the ones we were getting were of good size and weight. Then all of a sudden a boat full of "old" people motored in and dropped their pots right on ours, all the while drifting backwards over two of our floats and getting the lines wrapped around their prop. Somehow I managed to stay calm, wasn't easy. We decided to pick up and leave that area. While we were pulling our pots their lines had crossed ours so we had to untangle that mess. We move a long way from them and less than 30 min. later they motored over where we were at. By that time it was 4;30 so we got out of there. Only got 9 but they were all good size and full.

plumbertom
plumbertom
Did you take the time to explain about fishing etiquette?
They may have not been trying to be rude so much as just being ignorant.
Some of us "Old" people have a less steep learning curve than others and there are some whose curve is just flat.
su2jE.png

EOBOY
EOBOY
plumbertom;n607930 said:
Did you take the time to explain about fishing etiquette?
They may have not been trying to be rude so much as just being ignorant.
Some of us "Old" people have a less steep learning curve than others and there are some whose curve is just flat.
su2jE.png

Trust me when I say this! I'M OLD! Sorry if you didn't get the joke.

4labs
4labs
Funny how that happens so often . Had a guide boat in gold beach who I knew lay his traps on top of mine and then put his boat sideways to block the view. At brookings I put 10 zipties on my traps to discourage anyone from getting into them. In the ocean if you lay your traps next to any commercial gear keep a eye on it , may not be there when you come back . I think people put their gear like that thinking more scent will attract more crabs. Who knows.

G
Gulfstream
WE did well last week in Coos Bay as well Lots of really big crab,but quite a few still soft.We got 3 limits in 1.5 hrs.Friends were here from Nevada and they went home happy!