Alsea River fishing reports

S
steelhead1
This is a great streatch of river to explore,lots of good access and plenty of untouched holes FULL of salmon and migratory trout(but trout is now closed btw:naughty:).heading west on 34 it is about a mile 1/2 past Mike bower sp? park.It is on a sweeping rh turn,look for the gap in the rail,its right down that steep gravel road.If you are coming from the coast,its just past the cabin on the left that has "HOOTNANNY" painted on the roof.Hellion rapids are abou 1/4 west of the cabin,also a great hole stacked with fish.good luck!:D

M
Mike123
steelhead1 said:
This is a great streatch of river to explore,lots of good access and plenty of untouched holes FULL of salmon and migratory trout(but trout is now closed btw:naughty:).heading west on 34 it is about a mile 1/2 past Mike bower sp? park.It is on a sweeping rh turn,look for the gap in the rail,its right down that steep gravel road.If you are coming from the coast,its just past the cabin on the left that has "HOOTNANNY" painted on the roof.Hellion rapids are abou 1/4 west of the cabin,also a great hole stacked with fish.good luck!:D

UNTOUCHED????? :lol::lol::lol: FULL of salmon!?!? Certainly not. Especially with directions posted. If it were full of chinook I wouldn't be going to class at all this week.
The rock crusher hole is a snaggy, boiley hole with some quick current. I think it's a bit better when it's a little higher than it is now. Sucks that the Hootnanny hole is private access now.

T
Teo
steelhead1 said:

I was looking at a Topo map last night and I kind of figured it was just above Helion Rapids. The are a few quarries shown on the map in this area. Thanks a lot for the info.

S
steelhead1
mike123

mike123

Whats wrong with my directions?I clocked the run,as I had to ride my bike to shuttle back to the rig?!? And ya, it is full of fish.I have personally seen hundreds of salmon in the past two weeks,as a matter of fact,more than I have ever witnessed on that river,and if a person takes the initiative to cross the river,there is literally miles of untouched places to fish.As far as this being a snaggy hole(rock crusher)try using less weight,you will hang up less.On second thought,your right,dont take the time off to fish,there arent any fish around to bother with!:D

Last edited:
M
Mike123
steelhead1 said:
Whats wrong with my directions?I clocked the run,as I had to ride my bike to shuttle back to the rig?!? And ya, it is full of fish.I have personally seen hundreds of salmon in the past two weeks,as a matter of fact,more than I have ever witnessed on that river,and if a person takes the initiative to cross the river,there is literally miles of untouched places to fish.As far as this being a snaggy hole(rock crusher)try using less weight,you will hang up less.On second thought,your right,dont take the time off to fish,there arent any fish around to bother with!:D

Lot's of salmon is misleading.. There are lots of native coho that you can't keep but as for chinook few and far between. What I meant was the water is not untouched... haha. Lots of people fishing.. and Im sure the old saying "if you post they will come" may help with that "untouched" water. :lol:

S
steelhead1
I havnt been over there without seeing at least one chinook landed in five trips.I have hooked two and landed one (the other was foul hooked).Yes most of the fish jumpin are silvers,but c&r is just as much fun!This is one of the places I fish that I dont mind givin up the info for,it is a great place to learn and is no secret.And as most fish will run above five rivers to spawn,a few fish taken for the smoker will have little effect on poulation.I have many friends that have fished this river for decades,they also tell me that the fishin is slow for chinook this year,well,they are obviously not lookin at the same water as I am.I see plenty,getting them to cooperate with my plans is another story.....:D

C
Combat Chuck
So how does the river look after all this rain? I would like to take someone out there tomorrow so hopefully someone has fished it today and share. Im new to this so I dont know how much rain it takes to turn the river to chocolate. thanks

M
Mike123
Combat Chuck said:
So how does the river look after all this rain? I would like to take someone out there tomorrow so hopefully someone has fished it today and share. Im new to this so I dont know how much rain it takes to turn the river to chocolate. thanks

Just got home... river looks good. Good water color. Not murky at all.
Im thinkin it's still on the rise with this CRAZY ass rain storm!
Found a Toyota rolled over in the middle of the Alsea highway this morining!
I almost hit it! The FOG is BADDDD! Never seen it that bad.

TURN YOUR FREAKING HEAD LIGHTS ON PEOPLE!!
Man people are dumb... so many wrecks and with this fog and nasty weather HALF of the drivers have their lights on... :mad:

Last edited:
C
Chrome_Chaser
Mike123 said:
Just got home... river looks good. Good water color. Not murky at all.
Im thinkin it's still on the rise with this CRAZY ass rain storm!
Found a Toyota rolled over in the middle of the Alsea highway this morining!
I almost hit it! The FOG is BADDDD! Never seen it that bad.
I lost a big chinook.. guestimate 25lbs.... Also had a coho nail my spinner just to jump around like crazy and throw my hook before I could set the hook good.
I was fishing Below Fiver Rivers in that area.
Think I may try lower Monday.

TURN YOUR FREAKING HEAD LIGHTS ON PEOPLE!!
Man people are dumb... so many wrecks and with this fog and nasty weather HALF of the drivers have their lights on... :mad:

Hi Mike, was that you fishing next to me? You tried to net my first salmon but it broke off on a submerged rock.

S
steelhead1
21 coho and a nook!

21 coho and a nook!

best day of fishin ever today for salmon on the Alsea!We landed twenty one coho(not counting several fouls)and lost almost as many!Had to hide out from a thunder storm, and had a hairy experience running some rapids,but I can't say It wasn't a blast!:dance::D wont let me uploads the nook pic,He was pretty dark,but a scrapper on my steelhead rod.Oh yeah,all the fish were released unharmed exept for a sore mouth;)

Last edited by a moderator:
F
fishinchuck
Those are some nice pics sh1...you can see how hard its coming down haha. I might try to get out on the river tomorrow if it isn't pouring like today, wish me luck :p

S
steelhead1
another awesome day

another awesome day

Landed four coho and a beautiful nook today,lost two more in the falls drifting corkies.:D

M
Mike123
steelhead1 said:
Landed four coho and a beautiful nook today,lost two more in the falls drifting corkies.:D

Wish I had a drift boat.. or at least a pontoon. :lol:

Which drift are you doin?

S
steelhead1
five rivers/blackberry

T
Teo
steelhead1 said:
five rivers/blackberry

I assume this is the drift you did, five rivers to blackberry. Any reason a pontoon boat couldn't do this?

S
steelhead1
there are three or four 2+ rapids in there,nothing a tooner with a little experience couldnt handle.

R
rainbowfisherman
Has anybody had any luck from the bank? And have u mostly been drifting corkies? when u drift corkies do you guys usually just free drift it or do u tie on another line with a wait and bounce it off the bottum? or do most people just drift eggs/shrimp? i usually only get to the alsea about twice a year and have never had much luck for chinook. So if theres any certain holes that have been fishin good. Or if theres any holes that usually fish good this time of year it would be appreciated.

Thanks again

-Rainbowfisherman

M
Mike123
rainbowfisherman said:
Has anybody had any luck from the bank? And have u mostly been drifting corkies? when u drift corkies do you guys usually just free drift it or do u tie on another line with a wait and bounce it off the bottum? or do most people just drift eggs/shrimp? i usually only get to the alsea about twice a year and have never had much luck for chinook. So if theres any certain holes that have been fishin good. Or if theres any holes that usually fish good this time of year it would be appreciated.

Thanks again

-Rainbowfisherman

A lot of people do well from bank.. IMO.. most salmon don't bite corky and yarn w/o bait, but a few will. I think most salmon are just lined... For more of a chance of a bite add a sandshimp and or eggs.

S
steelhead1
o.k, corkie

o.k, corkie

Mike123 said:
A lot of people do well from bank.. IMO.. most salmon don't bite corky and yarn w/o bait, but a few will. I think most salmon are just lined... For more of a chance of a bite add a sandshimp and or eggs.

most salmon are just lined?!?That is a load of cr#p,dude.I have landed nooks and a ton of coho in the last couple week on corkie and yarn,dead drifting in traditional steelhead style.are you saying they just happened to get snagged in the mouth?I have used two jars of eggs on the alsea this year,and have yet to get a bite.hmm

M
Mike123
steelhead1 said:
most salmon are just lined?!?That is a load of cr#p,dude.I have landed nooks and a ton of coho in the last couple week on corkie and yarn,dead drifting in traditional steelhead style.are you saying they just happened to get snagged in the mouth?I have used two jars of eggs on the alsea this year,and have yet to get a bite.hmm

Ok whatever you say man... Yes you can LINE salmon in the mouth. Pretty easily. I did it Saturday. Not saying they dont bite corky and yarn once and awhile but most people know salmon love bait and something with scent.
You must have some crappy eggs. :lol: