Alsea Bay crab

D
diggindan
Good day on the Alsea. My nephew and I got our limits.Too late to download pictures tonite but we had some 7 1/2" beasts close to 3lbs. I'm taking another crew tomorrow, Full report Monday.
Cheers, Dan
 
D
diggindan
Cancelled trip

Cancelled trip

We canceled our trip to Alsea early this morning when the wind was howling.:( Now I'm looking out the window at sunshine.:confused:
Anyway here's some pictures from yesterday.
Cheers, Dan
 
Last edited by a moderator:
T
troutmasta
Is that OFF a boat in the bay?
 
D
diggindan
troutmasta said:
Is that OFF a boat in the bay?

Yes sir. I didn't see many keepers on the docks.
 
C
Chrome_Chaser
Now that's a meal and a half. Awesome day DD.
 
T
Thuggin4Life
Good job man. I have been trying to get out but never do. running out of room in my freezer for bait.
 
D
diggindan
Thuggin4Life said:
Good job man. I have been trying to get out but never do. running out of room in my freezer for bait.
I think the tides are good for the next couple days. Alsea is much nicer than florence. Shorter boat ride and doesn't usually get as rough. We go over the Alsea cut-off out of Monroe. Takes me less than 2 hours from near the airport.
 
M
Mike123
(Mouth water) Mmmmmm crab!! Makes me hungry!
 
S
silkiechicken
:(

I want to go crabbing!!!! I even have 4 rings and a box!

That's one awesome catch! :clap:Guess if I ever get to go I'll need to rent a boat to do as well as you just did! But I get dizzy if I look down on an elevator when it's stopping, maybe I shouldn't get on a boat.

My freezer here has more crab bait than human food....
 
D
diggindan
silkiechicken said:
:(

I want to go crabbing!!!! I even have 4 rings and a box!

That's one awesome catch! :clap:Guess if I ever get to go I'll need to rent a boat to do as well as you just did! But I get dizzy if I look down on an elevator when it's stopping, maybe I shouldn't get on a boat.

My freezer here has more crab bait than human food....

I'm sure some folks do ok off the docks. I've never seen much action.
I meant to check on rental prices but forgot. Age thing y'know. I know McKinley's and Dock O' the Bay in Waldport rent crab boats.

Just to prevent confusion- the handsome young man in the photo is not DigginDan.
 
L
livin2fish
nice catch considering all the fresh water, has it been consistant? how long of a soak, how long were you out etc.I have a boat and the gear and went earlyer this year with about the same results but I figured too much fresh water now. Bad figurin' eh.
 
D
diggindan
livin2fish said:
nice catch considering all the fresh water, has it been consistant? how long of a soak, how long were you out etc.I have a boat and the gear and went earlyer this year with about the same results but I figured too much fresh water now. Bad figurin' eh.

We were on the water from 9 to 3. Best luck was out towards the mouth, closer to the ocean. We pulled the traps every 30 to 60 minutes and moved them if they weren't performing.
 
F
fishhunter
Nice crab Dan...:clap:
 
L
livin2fish
fishhunter said:
Nice crab Dan...:clap:

hey ray ray wheres that killer pic of my salmon you said you had. lets try to get more of our pics on here brohime.
 
S
smokemwhenucatchem
I like to crab at Waldport too. I usually stay on the east side of the bridge. Do you do that too or do you crab on the seaward side of the bridge?
 
J
JMR
Hello,
I am very new to crabbing and most recently have borrowed 3 of my buddies 28" crab traps and had some success dropping the traps off my Hobie fishing Kayak in Siletz bay.
My question is this....How would my system work this weekend in the Netarts bay? Since I am using a kayak I have to haul each trap one at a time to drop em. They are a little heavy to pull up from the Kayak, but I can do it with good balance and strength. Where in Netarts bay can I drop these traps close to the boat launch and have success? I've never been to netarts, but hear its good crabbing thanks in part to no fresh river water. I have been using turkey legs and chicken quarters zipped tied to the bottoms of these traps and had great success in the siletz right off from taft park. I'm also wondering what kind of crabbing device would work best from my kayak as I am having so much fun that I plan on buying my own gear for xmas. I found theTNT crab traps are made here locally. Are they good? Which style of carbbing device should I go with? There's a couple questions here, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much! Tight lines!
 
D
diggindan
smokemwhenucatchem said:
I like to crab at Waldport too. I usually stay on the east side of the bridge. Do you do that too or do you crab on the seaward side of the bridge?

I usually start by spreading my traps out and then moving them where I'm having the best luck. October we did great on the east side. Last trip it was the west side of the bridge.
Happy Turkey Day:D
 
D
diggindan
JMR said:
Hello,
I am very new to crabbing and most recently have borrowed 3 of my buddies 28" crab traps and had some success dropping the traps off my Hobie fishing Kayak in Siletz bay.
My question is this....How would my system work this weekend in the Netarts bay? Since I am using a kayak I have to haul each trap one at a time to drop em. They are a little heavy to pull up from the Kayak, but I can do it with good balance and strength. Where in Netarts bay can I drop these traps close to the boat launch and have success? I've never been to netarts, but hear its good crabbing thanks in part to no fresh river water. I have been using turkey legs and chicken quarters zipped tied to the bottoms of these traps and had great success in the siletz right off from taft park. I'm also wondering what kind of crabbing device would work best from my kayak as I am having so much fun that I plan on buying my own gear for xmas. I found theTNT crab traps are made here locally. Are they good? Which style of carbbing device should I go with? There's a couple questions here, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much! Tight lines!

I've thought about putting traps out with our kayak but haven't done it yet. We use the square traps mostly. Fairly light but still awkward from a 'yak.
I heard of a guy towing a tube with his traps behind a pontoon.
Netarts is fairly small and easy to paddle. There is a good map/picture on the ODFW site under where to crab.
Good luck and Happy Turkey Day, Dan
 

Similar threads

plumbertom
Replies
4
Views
850
jamisonace
jamisonace
plumbertom
Replies
2
Views
861
plumbertom
plumbertom
The Guides Forecast
Replies
0
Views
107
The Guides Forecast
The Guides Forecast
The Guides Forecast
Replies
0
Views
99
The Guides Forecast
The Guides Forecast
The Guides Forecast
Replies
25
Views
4K
The Guides Forecast
The Guides Forecast
Top Bottom