All steelhead fishing lies

F
flocaster
I'm a smoker myself as well and have noticed that the smell left on your hands can absolutely change the way way the fish react to your offering. I'm still undecided as to whether it helps or hinders things...most of the time i would think no but at the same time anything that covers your human scent can make a positive difference at times. Just my $0.02

B
bubs
Oregon30: some good advice on here, but I'll take a slightly different tack. I got into steelhead my first year of trying, all on my own - no guides, no fishing with someone who knows what they're doing, no going to crowded holes. What I had to work with was some information from websites like OFF (most importantly, about river conditions and what river the fish are in at a given time), a map, and many years of experience reading rivers for trout fishing.

So, my advice is to pay a little more attention to info about river conditions (don't take this as an insult, but your question about if steelhead are mostly caught near the bank makes me think you could use a little more research into how to work with river heights) - read about water temp, time of day/lighting, water height, whether a river's rising/falling, how long it's been since the rain, etc..there are some great books out there on steelhead fishing btw. Anyway, yea presentation is important, and no, color isn't always that important, but what is ALWAYS important is what condition a river is in and if there are going to be steelhead there on any given day!

Last thing, I suggest you spend some time this summer river fishing hard for trout, learning where they hold up and other aspects of behavior (and I apologize if you already have this kind of experience). But with trout, their presence is way more reliable than steelhead (I haven't gotten skunked trout fishing on a river in quite a long time) so you can learn more in a shorter amount of time. I'm not into standing arm in arm with a bunch of dudes tossing big pieces of pencil lead, or bobber and whatever, over and over through the same hole mindlessly, so I use my old trout-fishing-inspired approach and work up and down the banks of rivers, trying every likely spot before moving on, and I catch fish, and it's fun.

H
halibuthitman
You don't want lies? ok, its you. The amount of effort you put forth on the Rogue should have at least produced a hit.. or around 6 hook-ups, it didn't, so its you. The only time steelhead are hard to catch is when none are there. You switched your **** too much, 1 red 10 mm corky or an orange bead probably coulda got you at least 1, but frankly you cannot buy the ability to catch fish or read water so you will have to struggle until you fish long enough or with the right person. NO ONE owes you a drop of info and anything you have been told has been a gift.. treat it like that. now, go buy a float, a spool of 12 lb fluoro leader, buy some orange beads and google how to set it up.. this should take less than a day to produce you a fish.. you have my permission to call me a liar if that fails. The Rogue is the easiest river in the American west to catch a steelhead on, so.... you got a long way to go- Tight lines

Reactions: eugene1 and ChezJfrey
troutdude
troutdude
First suggestion; get and read a copy of this book:

how to win friends.jpg

Secondly, follow Halibuthitman's suggestions...and those of the other's posted on here.

Thirdly, get a copy of this book and read it thoroughly. Then read it again. Outside of going fishing with a guide--or someone that really knows their stuff--this book will bring up to speed quickly.

spinner fishing for trout.jpg

Fourth, remember it's called FISHING and NOT catching!

Fifth, everyone uses different techniques. So like others have said, pick one and stick with it. Master that approach. Then try others.

Sixth, add this book to your library too:

spoon fishing by herzog.jpg

One final note: learn to be patient. If you aren't; you will NEVER enjoy fishing.

P.S. 10% of fishermen (and women), catch 90% of the fish. So if you aren't willing to work at it...yes, I said WORK at it...you can't become, one of the 10%. It takes a LOT of time and EFFORT, to dial it in.

Last edited:
S
SmallStreams
Stick to one technique while you're looking for that first hook-up. If you're losing gear, then pick a cheap technique (halibuthitman has that covered for you!).

Wear polarized lens (aka magic fish glasses), I like Cocoons worn over my prescription lens. Do get black frames, don't get turtleshell frames. Fish where you might actually see passing fish (shady, shallow, narrow upstream end of a pool with good cover on a smaller river with clearish water). Arrive at dawn and stay there until dusk. Wear clothing that blends in (no need to go camo) and don't sillouette yourself against the sky and keep your shadow out of the water. Don't let your dog or children go splashing around. Cast infrequently and spend time observing. Eventually you will see a fish, hopefully in time to target it; otherwise, sometimes the magic happens and the fish hooks you before you see it.

I've been a trout angler most of my 53 years. The first time I went to a winter steelhead stream, in 2008, I had a big fish lunge at my wobbler, but it totally missed and there was no repeat. We were just messing around because we needed an excuse to check on the cutthroat population, yet seeing that I could get a reaction had me hooked! I poked and prodded at steelhead each winter, but didn't catch anything until 2012. And then winter steelhead fishing turned into winter steelhead catching, where I could purposely target fish and get results. Steelhead are just big trout; they're blindered slightly by that spawning mission, but they really do have all normal trout habits. This year I've had the mindblowing experience of scanning a rain-swollen, nearly blown out river and saying, "if I were a steelhead, I'd be there", pointing and then seeing a steelhead come through the murk to the surface exactly at that moment!

Casting Call
Casting Call
SmallStreams said:
Stick to one technique while you're looking for that first hook-up. If you're losing gear, then pick a cheap technique (halibuthitman has that covered for you!).

Wear polarized lens (aka magic fish glasses), I like Cocoons worn over my prescription lens. Do get black frames, don't get turtleshell frames. Fish where you might actually see passing fish (shady, shallow, narrow upstream end of a pool with good cover on a smaller river with clearish water). Arrive at dawn and stay there until dusk. Wear clothing that blends in (no need to go camo) and don't sillouette yourself against the sky and keep your shadow out of the water. Don't let your dog or children go splashing around. Cast infrequently and spend time observing. Eventually you will see a fish, hopefully in time to target it; otherwise, sometimes the magic happens and the fish hooks you before you see it.

I've been a trout angler most of my 53 years. The first time I went to a winter steelhead stream, in 2008, I had a big fish lunge at my wobbler, but it totally missed and there was no repeat. We were just messing around because we needed an excuse to check on the cutthroat population, yet seeing that I could get a reaction had me hooked! I poked and prodded at steelhead each winter, but didn't catch anything until 2012. And then winter steelhead fishing turned into winter steelhead catching, where I could purposely target fish and get results. Steelhead are just big trout; they're blindered slightly by that spawning mission, but they really do have all normal trout habits. This year I've had the mindblowing experience of scanning a rain-swollen, nearly blown out river and saying, "if I were a steelhead, I'd be there", pointing and then seeing a steelhead come through the murk to the surface exactly at that moment!
What he said! X2 Tony

H
homerhomer
You have to fish where the fish are holding. While there are tons of places that look like they have fish, they don't. One way to find fish is to go the the place where there's tons of people fishing. Combat fishing sucks but there's usually fish to be had in there locations and you have to start somewhere. Just look and see what everybody else is doing. Usually it's bobber and jig or drifting maybe spinners or spoons. Sooner or later your number will be called and you'll catch something. Once you get a hang of it branch out and hit up some other water. Also just find something that works for you and stick with it.

If all else fails just get a guide. Hell even guides get guides when they're new to a river.

C_Run
C_Run
It took me a few years to get my first steelhead. Actually I had quit for a time out of frustration and it's still the species I struggle the most with. I'd suggest, instead of throwing the whole tackle box at them all in one day, stick to maybe just two methods and don't fret over the colors so much. It sounds like you are spending a lot of time tying knots in the field. I always pre-tie as much as possible at home to save time on the river and keep my line in the water. For me that is a necessity since I need to bust out the reading glasses to tie a knot anymore. Check out Scott Haugen's book on 300 Tips... There is a lot of info in there to help you be efficient. I also read Herzog's book on spoon fishing and decided to stick mainly with spoons one season a few years ago and that seemed to help me turn the corner. As far as following the crowds to the fish, I don't like that personally, and it isn't necessary. I can count the people I have seen fishing in my last four outings on my fingers and I have at least hooked a fish or two each time although getting them to the bank is another story. Good luck.

C
ChezJfrey
So this thread is still going, eh? Guess I'll post...

First, I'm humored by the 'lies' comment. Throwing everything but the kitchen sink, based on various advice, and with no fish, therefore all the advice must obviously be LIES, DAMN LIES! LOL Hilarious! I tried everything in my first year, and with no fish, figured, more aptly I'm sure, that I probably just suck at steelhead fishing. Sure enough, after 13 months of blanking, started catching the fish with a single, simple spoon...eventually over and over, then magically, started catching them on other things too...all those things that didn't work for me before.

Lies? Nay, I say you just don't know where or how to catch them...yet. Give it time and practice.

Next, I'm still turning my head over this, "no turtleshell frames," comment. I gotta ask, is that a superstition, a fashion faux pas so as not to look like a dork on the bank, or some other reason I just can't discern? I'm very curious about this. Granted, I use black frames, but can't for the life of me see where that turtleshell tidbit stems from and I just gotsta know :)

O
oregon30
i just think that paying 375.00 FOR 1 PERSON for a guide to maybe go catch fish is really stupid idea what if you dont catch anything that money down the drain thats the only thing stopping me i dont want to get ripped off

with ..... HOOEFULLY CATCHING A FISH

N
Native Fisher
oregon30 said:
i just think that paying 375.00 FOR 1 PERSON for a guide to maybe go catch fish is really stupid idea what if you dont catch anything that money down the drain thats the only thing stopping me i dont want to get ripped off

Typically the cost is 175/person. Make sure you talk to the guide and let him know you want instruction on techniques and how to fish or row or bank fish. Explain your situation and what you want out of the trip and keep talking to guides till you find one that can provide you with what you want.

Or you could go down and watch what other folks do at popular holes and just imitate them...

hobster
hobster
People are just trying to give you friendly advice, and there is a lot in this thread. I think you need an attitude adjustment or else give up, doesn't seem like it's much fun for you.

jhop111
jhop111
I don't understand the problem. He caught a lot of fish trolling with this thread? :popcorn:

T
Throbbit _Shane
oregon30 said:
ok recently i went fishing in grants pass rogue river and gold hill hitting 6 different spots and using about 13 different color combinations ALLL NO GOOD

then i went to shady cove and went to 3 different spots STILL NOTHING............ then i went to the applegate river STILL TRYING 13 COLORS AND NOTHHING

IM REALLY GETTING FED UP WITH THE BULL PEOPLE TELL ME TO USE ....

ARE YOU ALL LYING HMMMMM I WONDER

i should have pulled something out of the river i kept switching back and forth from float fishing to bouncing bettys and slinkys losing my gear getting more agitated by the second i have wasted almost 65.00 plus all the gear and pole

im sick and tired of liars and cheats

Steelhead fishing isn't easy. Even for the guys that have been doing it for awhile. Put in some time and effort and you'll catch one. There's lots of places on the rogue where a 2/5 oz lil cleo kills it! If all else fails spend a day up between shady cove and the hatchery and see what other people are doing or catching them on.

troutdude
troutdude
hobster said:
People are just trying to give you friendly advice, and there is a lot in this thread. I think you need an attitude adjustment or else give up, doesn't seem like it's much fun for you.

X2! First he calls people with advice "liers". Now he gets his panties in a knot, when someone else gives him sound advice. He will get NO more advice from me (and I'll bet from no one else either). Dumb and dumber!

W
waco
You can use the best stuff around but if you are not fishing the right water, You wont catch anything.

EOBOY
EOBOY
oregon30 said:

I've been out 3 times this year with Tanner and have done nothing but catch fish. I've learned more from him in those 3 trips than I could have learned in 2 years of fishing. I hadn't steelheaded in years and knew what to do but was rusty. Going to do more on my own but will still use Tanner for one reason I like the guy! And I know I'll catch fish when I'm with him. And we ALWAYS have more fun than drunk teenagers.

I kind of copped an attitude when I first came here and learned real quick that people will help if you keep you'r ears open and you'r mind too. Ya gotta be tough to have fun and catching Steelies is about as tough and fun as it gets.

EOBOY

this is bagold553 and I after fishing with Tanner

my2labs
my2labs
oregon30 said:

Personally Ive never taken a guide out. However, I will at some point. If $375.00 is an outrageous amount of money for you to invest into steel heading, good luck. Fishing is expensive…..Especially the initial investment. Fish or no fish, a trip with a guide would provide anyone who wants to learn with priceless knowledge. If you aren't willing to put in the work or pay someone to teach you I don't see how you can ever be a steel header. Maybe hang up the rod?….ORRRRRR just be quiet and listen. No one wants to hear your rebuttals. For realizes! ;)

N
Native Fisher
my2labs said:
Personally Ive never taken a guide out. However, I will at some point. If $375.00 is an outrageous amount of money for you to invest into steel heading, good luck. Fishing is expensive…..Especially the initial investment. Fish or no fish, a trip with a guide would provide anyone who wants to learn with priceless knowledge. If you aren't willing to put in the work or pay someone to teach you I don't see how you can ever be a steel header. Maybe hang up the rod?….ORRRRRR just be quiet and listen. No one wants to hear your rebuttals. For realizes! ;)

Not every guide is worth it. I went out with this one guide once and all he wanted to do was back troll plugs, I explained that was pretty much useless to me as a bank fisher. Made for an unpleasant experience for everyone. Another guide just wanted to side drift the whole river because that was most productive. Both instances was my fault for not properly explaining my purpose for the trip. The 3rd time was the charm I called and talked to guides till I found one who would provide the instructional trip I wanted. That was money well spent.

S
SmallStreams
ChezJfrey said:
Next, I'm still turning my head over this, "no turtleshell frames," comment. I gotta ask, is that a superstition, a fashion faux pas so as not to look like a dork on the bank, or some other reason I just can't discern? I'm very curious about this. Granted, I use black frames, but can't for the life of me see where that turtleshell tidbit stems from and I just gotsta know :)

LOL, yeah, it did seem to come out of nowhere, didn't it? :D

I was looking at all the options for frames and there was tortoiseshell as an option. Great, if I'm gonna look like a dork with big glasses, big hat, fanny pack, and those oh-so-formfitting waders, let's play the whole part and get the tortoiseshell to add a touch of color.

First trip out on the river and those magic glasses let me see the fish. And then some. Every time I turned my head, I'd catch a movement out of the corner of my eye and turn my head again and see more movement and glance in that other direction and... well, damn it, tortoiseshell frames kept making me see things with their light & dark patches! So, yeah, stick with your basic black frames unless you want as much neck exercise as a net judge at a tennis match.