All steelhead fishing lies

O
oregon30
ok recently i went fishing in grants pass rogue river and gold hill hitting 6 different spots and using about 13 different color combinations ALLL NO GOOD

then i went to shady cove and went to 3 different spots STILL NOTHING............ then i went to the applegate river STILL TRYING 13 COLORS AND NOTHHING

IM REALLY GETTING FED UP WITH THE BULL PEOPLE TELL ME TO USE ....

ARE YOU ALL LYING HMMMMM I WONDER

i should have pulled something out of the river i kept switching back and forth from float fishing to bouncing bettys and slinkys losing my gear getting more agitated by the second i have wasted almost 65.00 plus all the gear and pole

im sick and tired of liars and cheats

F
flocaster
3 days fishing steelhead and no takers??? Sounds like normal steelheading to me

Reactions: Insulatorkid, CrazyCaptainWillie and pinstriper
O
oregon30
i hear people going out within 3 casts have a steelhead it doesn't make sense ................ WHY

IVE USED 8 COLORS OF CORKIES WITH AND WITHOUT YARN

4 COLORS OF JIGHEADS GREEN YELLOW PURPLE AND PINK

PINK WORMS WITH CORKIES, YARN, OR SPIN N GLO

FISH ROE AND TROUT BEADS AND HAMMERD NICKLE SPOONS

i usually cast 5-9 times then swith to something else and repeat casts and double checking my line and depth of my rig

Last edited by a moderator:
jamisonace
jamisonace
stick to one thing and let us know how it went after 2000 more casts.

Reactions: pinstriper
hobster
hobster
Colors don't matter that much, presentation is key. I got skunked 3 days in a row last week and landed fish the last 3 times i went this week, just steelheadin. Gotta put your time in, and don't take it so hard.

E
eugene1
oregon30 said:
ok recently i went fishing in grants pass rogue river and gold hill hitting 6 different spots and using about 13 different color combinations ALLL NO GOOD

You got skunked fishing and you're new at it? This is normal...

Why are you complaining about liars and cheats?? You don't make sense, did a guide promise you fish or what?? Fishing is fishing...

O
oregon30
thanks HOBSTER i can agree with taking it soo hard ive tried for 4 years i feel desperate all the trout are tiny under 6 inches and a lot of people talk about steelheadin is amazing I JUST WANT A PEICE OF THE PIE

O
oregon30
I heard a lot of bs from people on...... Use this ..... Use that i buy what they use and go to where they go ....... And nothing

F
flocaster
Most of steelheading is about presentation and its going to be difficult to get a decent presentation without practice. May I suggest trying fewer rigging options and focus on getting proficient at them. It's also a lot easier to learn the places where fish hold in a given system if you maybe stick to only a few different holes and get to know them. Once you know where the fish are likely to be at and how to put your gear in their face I'm willing to bet you can lose that skunk :thumb:

Reactions: eugene1
O
oregon30
ok ok thank sooo is it true that steelhead are only by the banks and not in the center of the river i know that they get tired and like to rest in the slow current i cast from closest to farthest away and im hitting bottom with jigheads and then i bring it back in to adjust the bobber stop soo i know im in the zone with the float setup

S
sapo
I've been steelhead fishing probably three or four times, and have landed one and hooked up with maybe three...But I was fishing private property prime water. But mostly steelhead fishing is extremely difficult. Hardest fish to catch in my opinion.

hobster
hobster
They usually hit the banks in high water, depending on water height they can be anywhere. Really low they hit the rapids because there is more oxygen. Slow walking pace water is always a good bet.

D
Dizzy Fisherman
oregon30 said:
ok ok thank sooo is it true that steelhead are only by the banks and not in the center of the river i know that they get tired and like to rest in the slow current i cast from closest to farthest away and im hitting bottom with jigheads and then i bring it back in to adjust the bobber stop soo i know im in the zone with the float setup

What you're using and presentation don't mean squat if the fish aren't there. Learning how to read water and understanding steelhead behavior is key. The fish will hold in different water depending on the conditions. I suggest reading some books to get a better understanding of where to find the fish under varying conditions. When I started I was where you're at now and it can be frustrating but don't give up because the first one you hook will change your life. :thumb:

Y
Yogidabear
One of the fastest ways of getting some good info is to hire a guide

S
Steel4life
Man don't worry. Enough your time on the water. I started steelhead fishing when I was ten. 12 years ago I am now almost 22. It took me 4 years of watching, learning and long 12 hour days on the river. Took me two years to hook my first steelhead, that year I was 0/6. The next year I was 0/8. Five years for my first steelie, I have been improving ever since, time on the water and presentation and learning the river is the biggest key to catching fish. This year I'm 5/8 ( second year winter fishing). Now I'm 21 and have 3 techniques I love to fish from the bank, bobber and jig being my go to, in any condition except high muddy water. If I gave up every time I lost gear, and didn't catch fish I would have been done years ago. Keep your head up and believe in your favorite tatic and fish it religously. Try other things, but find your one tactic that beats everything else at hands down. Good luck. I hope it helps.

my2labs
my2labs
Be patient. And may I suggest drafting more constructive posts...? [emoji6] odds of getting good info go way up when you ask well thought out, well described scenarios. There are many techniques to catch steelhead. As stated by others, it's not about the gear...it's the presentation. I fished 13 days in January.... 0/1. My wife came with me 4 times and she's 1/1. It's a lot of practice, unlimited patience and a lil luck.

Oh yeah..... Don't forget to enjoy your time on the river. Fish or not. If you don't enjoy that FIRST and MOST, I'd suggest chasing different fish.........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my2labs
my2labs
my2labs said:
Be patient. And may I suggest drafting more constructive posts...? [emoji6] odds of getting good info go way up when you ask well thought out, well described scenarios. There are many techniques to catch steelhead. As stated by others, it's not about the gear...it's the presentation. I fished 13 days in January.... 0/1. My wife came with me 4 times and she's 1/1. It's a lot of practice, unlimited patience and a lil luck.

Oh yeah..... Don't forget to enjoy your time on the river. Fish or not. If you don't enjoy that FIRST and MOST, I'd suggest chasing different fish.........

Forgot....
My wife's only ever fished about 10 times. I've been catching steelies since I was a boy w my dad. I caught fish all the time on that river when I was young. I moved about 3 years ago and have been trying to adapt to my new rivers ever since. In 3 years I've caught fish but not nearly as many as I did on the river I grew up fishing.

Point is...... Steelies are elusive. If fishing them is new to you, you may have to invest years into learning how to hook them. It is not trout fishing, nor salmon!

S
Steelheader4Life
oregon30 said:
I heard a lot of bs from people on...... Use this ..... Use that i buy what they use and go to where they go ....... And nothing

It sounds like to me that they are trying to help you...not feed you bs. Find what you are confident in and fish it until you get that first one, then the rest will come easy peasy. If you're not having fun just being on the river it sounds like fishing may not be for you. Good luck out there!

J
Jdangler xD
Steelheader4Life said:
It sounds like to me that they are trying to help you...not feed you bs. Find what you are confident in and fish it until you get that first one, then the rest will come easy peasy. If you're not having fun just being on the river it sounds like fishing may not be for you. Good luck out there!
Oregon 30, steel heading takes time. (<------ not a steelhead slayer). Just find your comfort bait. What you think will work for the water in front of you. Personally I throw spinners or flies. Drifting spinners can be frustrating too but stick with it. Maybe just drift a a few eggs or a corky and yarn. On second thought don't take my advice just do you lol. Yarn and Corky with a bobber probly the least problematic option. Many effective ways just gotta stay after it. Tried for 7 months to get my first halibut on shore. Then I got 7.

B
bagold53
I just caught my first Steelhead after trying for 3-4 years, I used a guide (Steelmonkiller) to help put me on the fish and show me how to read water. This has helped quite a bit. after a couple of trips salmon chasing with him I had enough confidence I was able to bring 2 salmon in that I would have given up on previously. I have also stuck with one technique, that way I can practice that one technique before moving to another. Keep it simple and like everyone says enjoy the time on the water, for me it is more relaxing than sitting at home all day. I have gone out to the Wilson and left my poles in the car so I could just sit and watch. Another possible idea is scent. I do believe that scent is a factor. I went from catching nothing to able to pull one or two in with just changing out Latex gloves. I am a smoker and I do believe that it gets on my gear and leader. I have since started only changing baits or lures with fresh gloves on so the nicotine and tar do not transfer.