Again with the pink worm!

madasahab
madasahab
Ok, before everyone jumps on me for the photo, let me state that it was best to bring this fish onto the grass to remove the hook, as it was buried in the jaw. I snapped a quick photo, removed the hook with needle nose and turn it loose. It didn't take but a second to swim off. Now the story...first time on new river and first hole. I first tried tossing a spinner to no avail. I then decided to go to the worm...First cast...twitch...Bobber Down!!! way down!!! About six jumps and runs and a good fight. I also hooked these smolts on a different stream. There were a lot of them, but I did not find any adults. The future could be bright for this stream. It was funny, one swam off with some bling as my swivel opened from pulling out of a snag earlier. I was able to catch the fish and get my lure back and remove the bling...good times...

YRsteelhead.jpgYRcut.jpgYRcut2.jpg

Last edited:
N
nativefish
your doing well this year, keep it up!

madasahab
madasahab
nativefish said:
your doing well this year, keep it up!

Thanks man. Yeah, for a season that has been difficult in general, I can't complain. The pink worm is new for me this season and it has taken two. I now believe in the worm! Hope you get some fish...rain is coming!!!

N
neverbackdown7
Hey nice fish! Those almost looks like smolts

madasahab
madasahab
neverbackdown7 said:

not sure what they were...I looked in the regs book and I am not sure, but I think they may be a redband trout or westslope ct? I don't think it's a coastal ct?

madasahab
madasahab
neverbackdown7 said:

Actually, you're right. I looked at pictures online. That is awesome as this place was full of them. I didn't find any adults, but the future could be good! :dance:

N
neverbackdown7
madasahab said:
Actually, you're right. I looked at pictures online. That is awesome as this place was full of them. I didn't find any adults, but the future could be good! :dance:

I caught a whole bunch of smolts like that in my hometown river, which has been vacant since the 80's. Definitely exciting! As long as the conditions of the river stays the same youll be able to catch steelhead there every year!

bass
bass
Great job!

Between the slash on the chin and the length of the jaw I would guess that the fish in pics 2 & 3 are cutthroats, even though they do look very smolt like along the sides. Perhaps they are hybrids.

M
Modest_Man
They're not smolts - people rarely catch smolts, though 95% of anglers call them smolts. Salmonids undergo smoltification for about two weeks in the river systems, and are shooting down toward the ocean at that time. They are bright and silvery. The fish you caught are considered parr, which is just a fancy name for juvenile Salmonid. The name comes from the parr markings which are present on juvenile fish (blotchy dark markings). Both are cutthroat parr. Like Bass mentions, the red slash but more importantly the length of the maxillary (extending back beyond the eye) is a defining characteristic of cutthroat.

N
nativefish
I have gotten one this year. Havent been fishing too much but it was a dandy DSCN0054.jpg

madasahab
madasahab
nativefish said:
I have gotten one this year. Havent been fishing too much but it was a dandy

That is a dandy...nice job