Advise on a Electric Trollng Motor Battery

F
Flying Fish
I bought a pontoon boat recently that came with a trolling motor and a newer looking 12 volt battery. My question is about battery charging. I have an old car battery "trickle" charger that has a gauge, green meaning full charge. I think it charges full overnight on a car battery. I haven't used it in years. Any suggestions on charging? How long does a charge last when using one of these little MinKota motors? The pontoon boat is light, maybe 100lbs. Should I buy a charger that is designed for boat batterys?

Raincatcher
Welcome to the family...

Welcome to the family...

Welcome to the fishing forum family! As you may have heard,this is the premier forum for friendly fishing folk.
I moved your thread here so the boat and motor members could better help you out. We have a couple other threads on this very topic. You could check the archives for them or wait for fresh opinions.

B
bd2cool
Hi Flying Fish.

I have Minn Kota and when I first got it I used the type of charge that you have.
I didn't like it very much.
When I have a chance to fish I fish a lot. The charger that I had would take 10 to 14 hours to charge me battery which meant that as soon as I got home the charger went on-and some times I would go back out with a battery only 75% charged.

I now have an Schumacher SC-8000A - 80 amp 30<>12 amp , 2 amp with Engine Start charger. I can charger both battery in about 6 hours.
I got mine from Bi-Mart for $83.

Fully Automatic Microprocessor Controlled

• 80 Amp Engine Start – for emergency starting.

• 12<>30 Amp Fast Charge - self-adjusting, variable charge rates for everyday charging needs and maintaining your battery in peak condition. Charges and automatically desulfates and restores car, truck, RV, farm equipment, AGM, gel cell and deep-cycle batteries.

• 2 Amp Slow Charge – for charging and maintaining small batteries; charges motorcycle, ATV, snowmobile and lawn tractor batteries.

• 125 Amp, Sure-Grip Clamps – for top and side-mounted battery posts.

• Electronic Touch-Pad Controls – easy-to-select switches for Digital Display, Battery Type or Charge/Start. Choose from 12V regular automotive, 12V deep-cycle, 12V AGM or gel cell and 6V regular batteries.

F
Flying Fish
bd2cool-It looks like I am heading to Bi-Mart-Thanks for the info
Flying Fish

B
bd2cool
You are welcome.