Advice for a fishing trip in two weeks?

P
pnwbrandon
Hello!
My dad and I are going to fish the Metolius and Deschutes Rivers in a couple of weeks. A four day trip. I have done quite a bit of research and a page in my notebook is filled with notes; but I still feel unprepared. Does anyone have general advice/good pointers about the Metolius for us? We'll be fly fishing of course.

I've been keeping an eye on a few trip report websites, which has been helpful. What are some recommended flies/set-ups/techniques? I've heard about Golden Stone flies (Clark's?), Blue Wing Olives, Yellow Salleys, and maybe Caddis. Unfortunately, I have hardly any experience with nymphs! Hopefully that won't hurt us too terribly.

Where along the river should we focus our fishing efforts?

Also, dispersed camping... does anyone know of areas to look for such places (Deschutes National Forest?). I don't think paid public campgrounds are a no-go, it's just that we're trying to make an economical trip :)
If there's a recommended campground we'll definitely consider that, too!

Thank you!
Brandon

K
krisbman
if your gonna fish the metolius with dries only you are gonna come up short. the fish on that river are some of the most finicky fish i have tangled with. lobbing a dry fly put there when theres no hatch will provide no results. fish a standard nymph dropper rig, golden stone up top weighted of course barbs pinched, and a size 16 bead head pheasent tail. i know its generic but it works. a dark grey bead head hares ear will work also. fish below lower bridge, there is a trail on both sides of the river. it pays to put some distance between you and everyone else. you can camp there also, several pay to play camp sites and many others off the beaten path that you just kinda sneak into.

P
pnwbrandon
Thank you both! This information helps tremendously.

I'm going to try out some nymph rigs before heading out on the trip. Thanks for the extra push in that direction, krisbman.

S
steelhead_slayer
I would definetely get comfortable with nymphing. The two fly set up is a good way to go. A bigger heavy fly to get down in the water column then a smaller one attached. Tradition patterns will work good ie prince nymph, hares ears, pheasant tail. Good luck

P
pnwbrandon
What am I looking at for spacing between flies? And tippet size/length?

Edit: From what I've read, it appears that lighter tippet/leader (5x-7x) is ideal. Now, is this because the flies I'll be working with are smaller (so that the cast will lay out correctly)? I'm just nervous about the strength of such light line. Larger fish and lighter line; maybe it's definitely going to be a "playing them out" sort of deal.

Last edited:
S
steelhead_slayer
It depends on preference but anywhere between 6 and 24 inches will work. The metolius is very clear so a light line will not be as noticable to the fish. If you are worried about strength you can switch to floro and go up in size

K
krisbman
i go with about 18" between the two, usually 3lb tippet on my 11' switch rod. no problems landing a 24" fish!
. be sure to use weighted flies as u can't use split shot. be sure to pinch the barbs.