A lot of luck at the Greenwood boat landing!

H
HootYeah
About 4 weeks ago my girlfriend and I went blueberry picking up at that little farm on Greenwood. Decided to get some sun and cast some lures at the boat landing when on the 3rd-4th cast I caught this nice sized springer. Had to borrow a net as I was fishing a smaller trout rod with 20lb braid. Needless to say the fishermen made some jokes about me poaching but were fairly happy when I gave them the Lil Cleo spoon(chartreuse) that I caught it on. Went back the next day and caught two more that I dare not show you cause they were fairly dark and you would be certain to laugh at me. Either way 3 springers in 2 days was pretty darn good luck. The 2 fish I caught on the 2nd day were both caught on a 2/3oz 'Tequila Sunrise' Lil Cleo that is fairly difficult to find except online. The 3rd fish I caught had actually sucked my lure off the bottom of the river as I had cast my line out to cut and re-tie because I had a small 'birds nest' in my line. Literally had the line coming through the eyes of the rod right above the reel in my hand retying a 'Double-Uni Knot' when all of sudden I felt a huge tug and I just started frantically tying a half-a$$ overhand knot and sucked the remaining line into the reel. At that point I knew I couldn't let the fish take the remaining line out or the knot would surely come loose. Brought a net the second day so the fish came in fairly easy after that and it was a pretty ugly looking hen. Kept all the fish for the sake of smoking and having some fish in the freezer. If you ask me enough I'll post the 3rd pic of the 2 ugly fish I kept just so you can laugh at me.
Chinook 2.jpgRyan Chinnook.jpg

Last edited:
P
perfectg03
Keeping springers in August, yuck! Once it gets into July those things turn to mush. Still a blast to catch regardless of the table quality. I got a few way darker than that the other day at McIver swinging spoons, feels weird releasing hatchery salmon but I could never bring myself to eat one of those, let alone deal with the walk of shame back to the car toting a nasty boot with me. Makes good fertilizer.

H
HootYeah
Pink enough for me! ;)

smoked fish.jpg

O
OnTheDrop
perfectg03 said:
Keeping springers in August, yuck! Once it gets into July those things turn to mush. Still a blast to catch regardless of the table quality. I got a few way darker than that the other day at McIver swinging spoons, feels weird releasing hatchery salmon but I could never bring myself to eat one of those, let alone deal with the walk of shame back to the car toting a nasty boot with me. Makes good fertilizer.

Sprinters cut quite nicely in July.... Idk what your talking about

1 nut in the water
Who gives a rip what others think! Looks like you had a blast no matter what they looked like- boots might not taste bad!
My first ever steelie looked like a black monster that the seals chewed up and spit out but i still wanted to give it a kiss.....

Markk
Markk
nice :dance::yay:sounds like fun!

B
bran_man
Nice! Never know with those dark stinkies(that's what I call them at least lol) usually I didn't even like touching them when I hook into one... But there are some good ones mixed in there. they don't have to be dime bright chrome to still have good meat.McKenzie salmon actually stay better for just a little bit longer because the Mac tends to stay colder, longer. They're a super fun fight too! Best day I ever had catching those was 26 for 31 all on bobber/eggs in 3 hours. And they all went back! Lol nice work though and enjoy it

R
rippin fish lips
perfectg03 said:

My July 17th springer cut red/orange.

B
bran_man
rippin fish lips said:
My July 17th springer cut red/orange.

Yeah man that was crazy that springer cut like a freshy! Yours was pretty obvious that it was going to be good. It's when they really start bronzing up when it becomes harder to tell which is good or bad. But yeah that meat was in the best shape for a springer I've seen up there

C
Carothers
bran_man said:
Nice! Never know with those dark stinkies(that's what I call them at least lol) usually I didn't even like touching them when I hook into one... But there are some good ones mixed in there. they don't have to be dime bright chrome to still have good meat.McKenzie salmon actually stay better for just a little bit longer because the Mac tends to stay colder, longer. They're a super fun fight too! Best day I ever had catching those was 26 for 31 all on bobber/eggs in 3 hours. And they all went back! Lol nice work though and enjoy it
26 for 31 in 3 hours in September? Nice work branman. Why harass spawning fish that have been harassed and wore out enough? Because you can't get one to bite in the spring? You know those fish are gonna die after you wear them out right? Classy.

F
FishNinja
Carothers said:
26 for 31 in 3 hours in September? Nice work branman. Why harass spawning fish that have been harassed and wore out enough? Because you can't get one to bite in the spring? You know those fish are gonna die after you wear them out right? Classy.

Pretty sure most if not all were hatchery fish which we don't want spawning in the wild anyways. Don't be a prick.

R
rippin fish lips
:popcorn:
Carothers said:

this guy again.