A little contest

T
Throbbit _Shane
bigsteel said:
im gonna make a 420 cheech and chong fly!!!!!

A fly or roach? :D

B
bigsteel
Throbbit _Shane said:
A fly or roach? :D
no roach sacrifice for the fly,,i just hope the fish wont get the munchies after inhaling my fly,if so they better pray for a huge hatch:)

Last edited:
G
GDBrown
Do roaches hatch?

Troutski
Troutski
This is the best thread...I do understand what the original thread was looking for and I do know a few fly tiers that do make some flies out of unusual materials.
The crazy thing is some places do have a ton of pressure and people being people, things do make there way into the water and the resident fish will over time target them as a food source.
The contest should be taken serious, we have quite a few members that are very talented at the art of fly tying.
Although some of the comments within this thread are quite funny...:lol::cool:

Chuck

B
BobbiDollPDX
eggs said:
Ohh and I need to get a brazillion for a "special" fly..

I double dog dare ya

O
OnTheFly
FishFinger said:
Ok your all really weird.

Unconventional materials tied to what you think will appeal to a planted trout? That's the basic premise?

I need to call MeLuvTrout, he'll know just what to use.....
I think MLT will just use belly lint that was suggested earlier.

jeeeheeeheeezzz.......I think you're all nuts! Why not just dip your hook into a puddle of hot glue and throw it into a pile of scrap tying material? Why would anyone run the risk of the offensive fly creation being discovered in your fly box? You could end up like Rodney Dangerfield with no respect!. Gungas...Dr Phil thinks you need help! lol

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
The winner of the contest might wind up with the next Adams as their creation - look at the bizarre stuff in the fly catalogs today - compared to say, 10 years ago, and compare those to the stuff in books from 20, 30, or 40 years back. :) I bet the average angler from each of those decades would look at successive decade's oddball flies and say "WTF?" - especially when you have things like foam hoppers and ands, and strange nymphs being created with braided colored wire and live rubber legs, googly doll eyes...

Besides - hot glue ain't tying ;) gotta have some thread wraps somewhere. I dare you to use navel lint as a fly material :) I would, but my belly button doesn't collect enough. Might use some dog hair or cat hair though...

O
OnTheFly
You know I was being sarcastic.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
:p It's getting late, missed the sarcasm! Need coffee or sleep or both..

T
the_intimidator03
10-4 on the belly lint... stocking up now :-D i garner a lot of it so its great dubbing LOL

M
Moe
I am gonna take a pine needle and wrap it on the hook with duct tape, and try it on sunday. lol I bet it will work.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Going green Moe?

M
Moe
GungasUncle said:
Going green Moe?

lol yea. It might work cuz after checking the content stomaches of a lot of the stockers I get there is a lot of pine needles, and other crap

D
Drew9870
Watch out Moe! You might pressure those stockers into not eating Pine needles anymore :D;), or you might have to change the color of the needles on certain days :lol:.

Moe, use your imagination and tie up anything, if they are eating pine needles, then they are probably eating anything that sinks through the water column. You've gotta get a photo of the pine needle fly in the fishes mouth though, I totally believe it will work.

brandon4455
brandon4455
bigsteel said:
im gonna make a 420 cheech and chong fly!!!!!

HAHAHAHA :clap:

F
flyguy
I could tie a nice woolly bugger from two days worth of my belly-button lint and a few pieces of armpit hair... maybe I'll carve a hook out of wood and give it a try... the grizzly mountain-man bugger....

Last edited:
T
the_intimidator03
LOl flyguy, after work today i shall have enough lint from today to make some NICE size 8 nymphs with my belly lint dubbing, Could add some red facial hair for legs LOL

F
FishFinger
So here's what I've come up thus far. Ugly, perhaps. unconventional materials, yes.

The Plastic Bag Bug. I used a tan plastic grocery bag from Freddies; the ones they are preparing to ban

plasticbagbug.jpg

I know I can hook up with this!

E
eggs
I got a new idea.. I am going to use my first born childs embelical cord to make some caddis pupa's nymph... fly should be ready by september!

Last edited:
F
flyguy
the_intimidator03 said:
LOl flyguy, after work today i shall have enough lint from today to make some NICE size 8 nymphs with my belly lint dubbing, Could add some red facial hair for legs LOL

I was thinking I could trim my fingernails and use them as wings... my thumbnails are getting a little long.