5000 ft holy cow!!!

T
the salmon kid
this weekend i decided to go op to sandy bottom and try to catch a couple steelys on flys,., but boy was i surprised , they are letting out 5000 ft ow water from the dam at lost creek lake and the river is the highest i have ever seen it on top of the rain but i still managed to catch me a 6 lb winter steel head on the fly just had to use some added weight and sinking tippet but i was using a tube fly that was made to look like a leech and i will have the pics up soon

any one have any luck this weekend?

T
Throbbit _Shane
i didn't even fish... thinking about giving it a try tomorrow

they need to let up on all the water coming out.

D
durantmatt
Have they fixed the problem up at the dam. I heard there were unable to control the water flow due to a problem with the dam at lost creek

E
eat, sleep, fish
I imagine the flows have nothing to do with the outflow having problems. After that last warm big rain they had to hold a lot of water back otherwise we would have had a major flood. Now they are having to get rid of all that excess water in case we have the same thing happen again very soon. Once the lake level gets back down to where it needs to be for flood control the flows will level out again.

There is a problem, however, with the spill way gates. They found some problems this summer so now the lake has to stay under the spill way gates so that they don't have to worry about them failing. This could also be why the flows are staying high for so long. They've got to get rid of more water than normal since the lake can't fill up as high as it usually can.

T
Throbbit _Shane
thanks for your insight. the spill-a-way was fine last year... it seems odd to me

i just hope the water level goes down soon. gonna try the applegate tomorrow, but pretty far up by cantrel buckley park.