3M buys Ross Reels

G
Gray Goose
I was just reading through some other info when I ran across an article stating 3M has just finalized a deal with Ross Hauck on purchasing Ross Reels. I remember meeting Ross when he first started trying to get his reels into fly shops back in the 80's. I have a couple of his first generation reels and they are well made items. I am real curious if 3M will keep Ross Reels in the USA or move them offshore like almost every other acquistion has.

E
everett464
It seems like the natural progression of things to move it overseas.

G
GDBrown
Most likely it will move overseas to somewhere that has no clue what or how they are intended to be used. Sad isn't it.
That is the prevailing business model for most new industries though. Build a business up enough to make it attractive for a takeover then sell out and start again.

GD

E
everett464
Meh, I am not quite that negative. Leatherman still manages to create a pretty good product, and they were bought out under similar circumstances. The 25 people who work for Ross will likely maintain their jobs, or at least the possibility of a job doing marketing, design, and limited US line production, prices on the product will go down, and there will be new jobs created in some severely depressed economy (talking Mexico, not Detroit) that can really use them. overall quality and materials might suffer in a limited way, but their will be a boutique American manufacturer to fill the spot in no time.

troutdude
troutdude
Just ask Carly Fiorina. She's a newly unemployed Senatorial candidate, and knows a thing or two about shipping jobs overseas! (which really peeves me, I might add)

F
fisherwilly
Thats crazy that 3M bought them. They are made in Montrose, CO and that is the small town my girlfriend up in. I heard that people in Montrose go and get Ross reels and Scott rods seconds for pretty cheap. Hopefully they stay state side and continue to make quality products.

Fisherwilly