24 hour challenge - Detroit Lake edition

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Good job! The water level is going to have quite an adverse effect on this area by summer's end. If the boats can't be launched or moored, the economy will be tanked for sure. I was at the little super market in Mill City Saturday and overheard a lively discussion about the issue. One very confused guy kept insisting the water level would be fine "once they release the water from the dam". Problem? The lake is behind the dam. :sad:

troutdude
troutdude
Raincatcher said:
One very confused guy kept insisting the water level would be fine "once they release the water from the dam". Problem? The lake is behind the dam. :sad:

Let's hope that anyone actually trying to fix the problem; isn't as...umm..."confused" as that guy! :yikes:

P
pinstriper
troutdude said:
Let's hope that anyone actually trying to fix the problem; isn't as...umm..."confused" as that guy! :yikes:

The way I heard it, from a campsite neighbor who sounded very informed and authoritative on the subject (and thus is most probably full of beans...) is that they were letting water through all winter, making electricity for sale to CA, thinking they would then let the lake fill from snowmelt in late spring. Without realizing that there wasn't going to BE any snowmelt this year. They were not expecting to be able to raise the water level any higher this year, but did expect to be able to maintain where it is, more or less.

H
hydropsyche
Raincatcher said:
I wasn't with him at the time, but I'm fairly certain it was a fat steelhead and spinners he was using. The area I'm referring to is about 1/4 mile west of the actual dam.
From big cliff dam to packsaddle is closed for fishing new regs for 2015. I can confirm your reports there are fatty trout and steelies in there. I caught my first summer steelhead on a fly in that section. That section has some very good spawning beds and with this years lack of snow pack it may be the only place where the fish will be able to reproduce due to cold water from the dam.

P
playhooky
Thanks hydro.....I would've checked but had planned on slipping up there sometime soon and hurling some medium sized shiny stuff in hopes of a fatty. Guess it's Packsaddle or below! Should be a fish somewhere in all that good water. I'm sure this little rainy spell can't be hurting anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

J
jarhead2
Our Public Works director in Gates was told by COE in essence, that this could be a really bad year to be a fish. So many water supplies taken from our river here, and downstream. Want to help the fishies, promote conservation and rainwater harvesting. Pat

Top Bottom