2 rods/Fee increases

H
Hooked on fishin'
GrillMaster said:
I am old enough to understand the numbers game, here is how I see it. If the total cost to me for one year of angling with my 15' boat is $247.00. All that means is I must fish more to get the numbers down to an affordable level, so if I fished 67 days last year this means I must fish a minimum of 113 days next year to come out on top. So be it, it shall be done. You can make the numbers say what ever you want them to, 365 (days)divided by 247 (cost for the year) is $1.47 per day to fish in the state of Oregon with two rods; I don't buy a Salmon tag so I do save money there.
It just doesn't seem like a poor investment to me, seems very reasonable; I am not a native to this state so I see it a bit differently than most. Where I come from the cost would be quite a bit higher and the pressure would be infinitely higher. I truly love this place.

GM
I totally agree.. as I do not have a boat my expenses are less, and I catch way more fish than I can eat. I have probably caught at least two hundred trout this year. Although, the last few trips have been a lot slower, I would still say I got my moneys worth..also I have augmented my diet with fish, as a matter of fact we are having some tonight! I would never pay 4 or 5 dollars a pound for 'bows when I can catch them. Plus it is so much better to eat your own catch. I for one will happily pay the extra so I can throw hard ware and have a bait out when fishing is slow!!:)

H
Hooked on fishin'
by the way I C&R a lot I did not keep all those fish!!

C
cavdad45
I will think very hard about whether or not I will buy another Oregon license. Living in the Portland area, my travel/gasoline costs for quality fishing are about equal. The time and distance traveled to get to Hagg is more than Lacamas and a little less than Silver Lake.

The Columbia River is equally accessible for walleye, etc.

At $43, a Washington nonresident license includes salmon, steelhead, and sturgeon. What is the additional cost for these tags in the new Oregon plan?

Of course, my pet peeve is that nearly every lake or fishing access has an entry/use fee. That is usually a $2-5 added expense every time I fish, once again the Washington license includes a parking pass for nearly 3500 boat ramps in the state.

With Oregon's new business tax gouge and the new increases in personal income taxes (which buy the way surpassed California's making us the highest taxed state in what was once America), the decision to purchase my license in Oregon next year will require quite an arm twist.

D
Dan Feller
I think it's great that we can use an extra rod for an extra $15 fee. When fishing is slow I often wish i could use two different setups to double my chances.

Of course I don't like the new and bigger boating fees, but it is hard to complain too much - at least gas isn't $4.00/gallon anymore!

K
koboabe
Randy Henry...

Randy Henry...

I just spoke to Randy Henry, with the OR Marine Board.
he was able to clarify the changes to the new boating laws.

currently there is no plan in enforce a mandatory inspection of boats...
if there is an infestation of an invasive species that may change, but he doubts that will fly.
so launch where legal and safe.

the reason paddlers have to pay an annual fee, is because there is no current infrastructure in place to permit their crafts.

each boater is paying $2.50 a year for the new inspection program (inspecting bodies of water, not boats), but the non-motorized crafts are also paying a $2.50 administration fee to cover the costs of printing their tags, etc.

motorized craft are bi-annually and don't have the admin fee, as their inspection permit will always be part of the boats registration.

I plan on using a motor (some of the time) on my toon, so its not that big of a deal.

for those with 10' yaks I feel for yah, but at least they aren't going to require a mandatory inspection of your craft before you launch...

one thing that does suck... if you have a motorized boat and it is registered, that inspection permit does not extend to your kayak... you will need to purchase another annually permit for other, non motorized crafts.

including anything the coast guard defines as a craft, which means i will need a license for my stand up paddle board... (long surfboard with paddle)

P
pdxdanfishin
if i rent a boat at say blue lake will i have to pay the fee? obviously those boats will never leave the location, but it is still unanswered.

B
beaverfan
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say probably not, I would imagine it would be ther responsibility of the owner of the boat not the renter.