12 year olds now need a license

troutdude
troutdude
Kids now need fishing license at age 12

Youth Fishing
Youngsters ages 12 to 17 need a youth fishing license to catch trout in Oregon this year. Above, Zane Nilssen is all smiles after catching his first fish ever at an Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife family fishing event at Canby Pond. (Photo by Rick Swart/ODFW)
March 1, 2016

SALEM, Ore. – As families venture to the outdoors this spring, the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife remind parents that youths between the ages of 12 and 17 need a license if they plan to hunt, fish or shellfish.

Although fishing now requires a license two years earlier than in the past – at age 12 instead of age 14 – the cost of the license is significantly less than it was in years past. Now a combination youth hunting/fishing/shellfishing license costs just $10. For just $5 more, youngsters can also purchase a tag that will allow them to catch salmon, steelhead, sturgeon and halibut. The $15 combined cost of a youth license and tag in 2016 compares to a cost of $41.75 last year, a cost reduction of 64 percent.

The youth license was developed to simplify the youth license requirements for hunting and fishing. “There was way too much complexity involved for parents to get hunting and fishing licenses for their kids,” said Rick Hargrave, administrator of ODFW’s Information and Education Division. “We removed those barriers and came up with a single, significantly discounted,youth combination license for kids 12-17.

Under the new fee structure, a single license permits youthlicense holders to take part in all three activities – hunting, fishing and shellfishing. Previously, a separate license was required for each of these activities.

“We believe this an amazing value and a meaningful investment in getting kids and families out and connected with nature,” said Hargrave.

There is no distinction in the fee structure between resident and nonresident youths – they pay the same for hunting/fishing licenses and tags.

###

Rick Swart(971) 673-6038

S
Steel4life
I like it.I don't have kids but it's cheap, easy. Which hopefully means more quality family time.

hobster
hobster
Steel4life said:
I like it.I don't have kids but it's cheap, easy. Which hopefully means more quality family time.

Agree. Looks like i'll be getting one for my daughter this year.

M
muskieguide
20160228_181427.jpg

My 5 year old has had a great year. This is her very first limit. Only 1 is a hand off. The other was all on her own with a jig and bobber

hobster
hobster
^^^ Excellent! That is awesome that she got one on her own, gotta be quick with that bobber. My buddies 5 year old fishes with us sometimes and he always says "stick it daddy!" Cute photo also, love them boots ;)