nutria jig.jpg

well i think the picture says it all...

Reactions: Throbbit _Shane and eugene1
E
eugene1
Looks really stinky?

T
tomriker
naw they don't stink, even though they're basically an overgrown rat.. all they eat is grass so it's basically a cow... i've almost eaten one, twice now lol. down south i guess lots of people eat em.

blood was running out it's ears and mouth, didn't want to make a mess in my boat

O
OnTheFly
That just made me throw up in my mouth a little.

E
eugene1
tomriker said:
naw they don't stink, even though they're basically an overgrown rat.. all they eat is grass so it's basically a cow... i've almost eaten one, twice now lol. down south i guess lots of people eat em.

blood was running out it's ears and mouth, didn't want to make a mess in my boat

OK, I was wondering why you were long arming it over the boat!

Anyway, nice work getting that invasive species out of the water!

T
tomriker
they are all over our farm, they do a lot of damage to the edges of our ponds and canals and eat quiet a bit of the grass in our fields off. we have 2 trappers plus me my brother and grandpa that shoot them on a regular basis, and they are still thick! at least they don't eat the fish!

F
fishkiller
They are very destructive, kill them.

F
fish4life
Sweet looks like you snagged him right in the bunger

troutdude
troutdude
Until now, I had thought the funniest thing I saw caught while fishing was a turtle! Come to think of it, I had to unhook a sea gull once. But, a nutria...now that is FUNNY!

BTW, Nutria were once farmed raised all over Oregon. They were raised for meat and pelts. My boss (who raised 'em w/ his pa and grandpa), claims they taste good w/ the proper diet. I'm not sure what that means; but I'm sure as heck NOT gonna find out either!!!

My boss has become famous in our area, for his traveling slideshow: "Nutria - the other White Meat"! It's HYSTERICAL!!!

jamisonace
jamisonace
I've captured them in my garage and shot them in my backyard. Every winter I harvest at least a couple. I haven't eaten them yet but I keep thinking I'd like to skin one, preserve the pelt and fry it up for dinner. I hear they are tasty but I can't get past the smell. Here are a couple my friend took in my backyard with his recurve last year.
Nutria.jpg

Reactions: Throbbit _Shane
T
tomriker
I captured the whole thing on video but it's mostly just reeling it in and me an my buddy giggling like school girls lol. I've killed em with a machete, a big rock, 4wheer pellet gun all kinds of rifles... One of my favorite times was a few years back our lake froze over and they were running across the ice to get to the field or the grass. Such easy picking and it looked like a massacre on the ice

N
natro
That one on the right in that pic looks huge! The biggest one I think I ever shot weighed a little over 17lbs. We used to have those things all over my parents property growing up. I used to go out daily and take out as many of those things as I could. It's a good way of keeping your shooting skills sharp I figured, plus they burrow holes into hillsides and ruin landscapes. I had a buddy who's grandpa had given his family canned nutria. He had some other buddies over to his house, and he told them that it was canned elk. They ate it right up.

H
hunt-fish-trap
I love trapping those things. a fat one will bring 5-6 bucks for his pelt. if ya can't tell by my name I trap things as well. oh and the diet is corn oats and barley with molasses

T
tomriker
I used to trap and skin em and sell their pelts for 5 bucks apiece. Then I got married... And my wife was a city girl and wasn't cool with the idea of nutria filling up the freezers...

N
Ntofishing
WOW!! I never even knew these things existed. One thing I would ask is where in the state they are most likely to be?? There are a few of us in the down south that could put a hurt on these things. LOL!!

T
tomriker
Ntofishing said:
WOW!! I never even knew these things existed. One thing I would ask is where in the state they are most likely to be?? There are a few of us in the down south that could put a hurt on these things. LOL!!

mainly just the Willamette valley

N
Ntofishing
Ahh cool. That sounds like a fun outing.

S
steelhead_slayer
i used to see one over here in bend, but luckily it disappeared. probably couldn't handle this cold

H
hawgcaller
I don't know about everywhere but I grew up in coos bay and there are definitely a bunch of those in Tenmile lake and the coquille river.

H
hunt-fish-trap
tomriker said:
I used to trap and skin em and sell their pelts for 5 bucks apiece. Then I got married... And my wife was a city girl and wasn't cool with the idea of nutria filling up the freezers...
I have a separate freezer, my wife was raised by the biggest redneck in the world and thankfully tolerates a guy just like her dad.