Your gear

J
john montana
I would say the are solid. I haven't had any issues with them, but it think the Lawson reels have a smoother start up and just seem tighter all around. Drag on Allen does fine with carp and mine has held up. Pretty solid reel for the money.

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
S
Sinkline

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
nice rods! ive handled an elkhorn spey rod before, very good quality rods

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Randy, those CZN rods are nice. Wiggling them at the stores in Springfield and Lacy - I found them to be on the faster end of medium-fast action. That #3 rod should work great with a #4 line, if you're looking to load the rod more. The Cabela's CZN to me, felt more balanced than the G. Loomis Czech nympher, or Sage's version also (for some reason, most Sage rods to me feel tip heavy, the only one so far that hadn't aside from their sub-8 foot rods, are the One rods.

If those turn out to be too stiff for you - look at the Echo Shadow - those felt a bit softer and smoother action than the Cabela's CZN, and the 10' 3 weight is on sale at Cabela's right now for $230.99 vs regular retail of $329.00. I'd be tempted to sell one of my sibling's kidneys to get a Shadow rod. If you want longer - they also make 10'6" and 11' 3 weights in the Shadow lineup. You probably wouldn't even need to over-line that 10' 3 wt Shadow - just put a good WF 3 line and you'd be set.

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
B
bigsteel
geeeeeeeez randy,plannin on gettin a 4 rod license:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

brandon4455
brandon4455
bigsteel said:
geeeeeeeez randy,plannin on gettin a 4 rod license:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

two for powereggs and two for powerbait? :shock: :lol:

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
oh man that would be a nightmare..you would be re-baiting every cast :lol: i remember when i was younger i would often run out of treble hooks..i had to use singles and seemed to always cast too hard..i could watch my pb go flying and then hit te water..only to re bait and have it happen again :lol:

G
GDBrown
Just starting with my latest!

Just starting with my latest!

I'm only going to show the progress I'm making with my new 4wt. I have had this in-progress for at least six months now and I spent some time yesterday on it and thought I would snap some pixs with my wifes camera since it is so much easier than mine to use.:think:

4wtRodBuild-2.jpg

4wtRodBuild-3-1.jpg

4wtRodBuild.jpg

I'll take pixs of all my gear when I get a chance, but right now it's nice enough out to fish so I'm outa here.

GD

B
bigsteel
good job gene,its coming along nicely!!

brandon4455
brandon4455
very nice wraps gene, what kind of blank is it?

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
G
GDBrown
brandon4455 said:
very nice wraps gene, what kind of blank is it?

The blank is a 4wt from "Pacific Bay" and is an IM6, 9 ft - 2 piece. I will be adding a handle extention that is going to be removeable so it could be used as a two handed rod but mostly it is so it will stay in the rod holder on my boat better.

Randy, I have been pulling the tag end under where ever it happens to land on this rod! It's the first time I've done this and I didn't realize they should all be done the same way. Right now I'll just be glad when it's done..... I'm figuring the epoxie top coat on the wraps will hind my screw ups.

GD

brandon4455
brandon4455
nice! can't wait to see the finished product. one of these day im going to have to build my own rod.

F
FlyBum
Here's a look at some of our setups Deb's Winston BIIx 6wt. with Ross Evolution 2 (Copper) and the Sage LE 6wt. I'll be selling, wanted to fish it one last time before I pick up "The ONE" :)

Last edited by a moderator:
F
FlyBum
Van said:
Get a chance to fish it yet Flybum? What is your impression?

Ya, I fished it all weekend long. I have a Rio Gold 6wt. on it. Basically the rod does what I ask it to do. I want 70 feet, it gives it to me, easily. It's light weight, smooth and lays it out strait just like the commercials. It's a hellofa rod, I found the last 6wt. I'll ever need. It will also double nice as a bonefish rod when the time comes :)

brandon4455
brandon4455
my first trout fly rod was a stiff pile o crap, paid 16 bucks for it.. caught hundreds of trout on it too. you dont need anything fancy to catch fish But once you get into the sport more you will start wanting a nicer rod that fits your needs randy, those czn rods are very nice!

brandon4455
brandon4455
WOW. very cool looking reels