Your gear

J
john montana
Lots of good packs out there. I like the sling because it fits my scale, tripod and a bottle of water perfectly. I travel pretty light.

Tallied up my rods...ugh. I am surprised my wife lets me get away with it. Here is the tally.

4 wt bamboo (I built this on a Paul young taper)
4 wt sage slt
5 wt bamboo from a MI rod maker
6 wt bamboo from a mi rod maker
6 wt st Croix legend ultra
6 wt echo 2 saltwater
7 wt gloomis native run glx
7 wt sage vt2
7 wt Albright exs (broken)
7 wt Gary borger targus
7 wt echo sr switch
7 wt Fenwick fiberglass
8 wt st Croix avid
8 wt rain shadow
8 wt heddon fiberglass

Plus 15 bamboo rods in varying states of disrepair...about 1/3 are fishable, but all could use some work. Some need guides, etc. I was on a cane kick for a while, but carp turn cane into kindling...so I have a bunch of rods I never finished cleaning up or re wrapping. Fished some glass for a whole too, but only kept those two rods. If anyone is looking for a cane project let me know.

Funny how the quiver evolves. I used to live in MN and had all 2,3 and 4 wts. Now that I fish mainly for carp I have settled into the heavier stuff. I do miss my old sage 2 wt slt...but my buddy in mn still fishes it so I get to cast it when I see him at least!

Fun thread...thanks Brandon. Nice to hear about everyone's favorite gear.

Last edited:
S
Sinkline

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
thats a nice line up of gear you have randy!! if your in the market for reels check some ross models out, they make damn good reels!! the cla is my favorite.

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
A
alm21
Here's a pic of my new and first setup. I've only used it once as a newbie so it hasn't seen a fish. I need to just go all-in and focus on learning to fly fish. I always enjoy it when I do.

It's a Redington Red Fly 2, 9'6" 8wt 4pc with an Okuma SLV 7/8wt reel that I took off Sinkline's hands (thanks again Randy!).

8wtflysetup2.jpg

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
nice!!! thats a perfect setup to indicator fish for steel with.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Hey Randy,
Since you're hunting new gear, mebbe I can live vicariously through you and your reports.

Could reels I've had my eye on:

Ross Evolution -- Ross Evolution @ Cabela's

Echo Ion (in a trout size. I have the 810 on my big rod, and love it) - Echo Ion 2 Cabela's

Cabela's WLX (it's made by Lamson, and is basically a cheaper version of the Konic) - Cabela's WLX @ Cabela's

V
veilside180sx
Here's a few of mine, but many are in the build process and not finished.

Rainshadow RX7 7'6" 3 wt
Cortland CL 9' 4 wt
Rainshadow RX6 9' 5 wt
Rainshadow RX7 9' 6 wt
Sage RPL 10' 7 wt
Rainshadow RX8 9' 12 wt

+ the two I'm currently selling. (Cabela's 3 Forks 9' 8 wt and Echo 9' 5 wt)

That's in addition to 30 gear rods plus or minus a few depending on the day...

Last edited:
S
Sinkline

Last edited:
GungasUncle
GungasUncle
What about going with old school classic stuff - Bogdan, Hardy, Pflueger?

brandon4455
brandon4455
pflueger reels are on of my favs, i like the newer pflueger summit reels, nice n shiny..smooth too... its a very sexy reel.

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
four? :shock:

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Dang Randy, look at you go!

If the Gear Fairy ever needs someone to visit, they can leave a rod & reel under my pillow ;)

Hope the new rods work out for you. Did you wind up with any new reels also - or are you sticking with your Orvis and Hardy reels for now?

Reactions: waco
S
Sinkline

Last edited:
GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Sage Click? Those are pretty large diameter reels, and the folks I've talked to that have them seem to be in love. Not sure if it's because they're Sage yuppies, because the reel is actually a good quality item, or because it's a clicker drag reel. Maybe all of the above. I, myself, prefer silent feed and silent retrieve reels, so the Click is not for me - but it is a really cool little reel.

brandon4455
brandon4455
loud reels are fun because it's awesome when the fish takes off :cool:

J
john montana
Have you looked at Allen reels randy?

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
S
Sinkline

Last edited: