Backpacking fishing trip this summer

F
fishlover62
Hello everyone,

I’m a longtime lurker of OFF and finally decided to make an account and officially join the community. I have been fishing in Oregon my whole life, but have only recently gotten into day hiking and backpacking. I’m planning on doing extensive backpacking/fishing trips throughout the Cascades and the Wallowas this summer to go for different species of trout in streams and high alpine lakes.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience doing this, and if they can provide any general tips or advice for what gear, techniques, etc. to use.

I currently have a pretty good spinning reel fishing setup for trout, but my fly fishing arsenal is lacking and I am thinking of investing in a Tenkara rod (particularly the Tenkara USA Rhodo). What do you all find works best in mountain lakes/streams scenarios?

Reactions: tastybrookies
TheKnigit
TheKnigit
I have done some backpacking/day packing into the southern Cascades. I would assume that the set ups are similar. If it is just an out and back day trip, and you have them room and weight to spare, night crawlers are always a my "old faithful" stand by. Especially if I have any of my kids with me. As far as hardware goes I have had pretty decent luck throwing Panther Martins and Rooster Tails for high lakes trout.

For flies I would carry whatever you normally would use in a less remote Cascade lake. I seem to do relatively well with stone fly nypmhs in brown and green, any version of an orange bucktail or orange stimulator, wooly buggers in black, purple, green, and white, and muddler minnows. I will typically carry some other random flies with me in a smattering of colors and sizes in case I need to make a blind attempt to match a hatch. I have never used a tenakara rod, and consequentially am unsure if there are any limits on what flies you may or may not be able use. I backpack with a 4 piece 5wt in a travel case.

Reactions: fishlover62
F
fishlover62
TheKnigit said:
I have done some backpacking/day packing into the southern Cascades. I would assume that the set ups are similar. If it is just an out and back day trip, and you have them room and weight to spare, night crawlers are always a my "old faithful" stand by. Especially if I have any of my kids with me. As far as hardware goes I have had pretty decent luck throwing Panther Martins and Rooster Tails for high lakes trout.

For flies I would carry whatever you normally would use in a less remote Cascade lake. I seem to do relatively well with stone fly nypmhs in brown and green, any version of an orange bucktail or orange stimulator, wooly buggers in black, purple, green, and white, and muddler minnows. I will typically carry some other random flies with me in a smattering of colors and sizes in case I need to make a blind attempt to match a hatch. I have never used a tenakara rod, and consequentially am unsure if there are any limits on what flies you may or may not be able use. I backpack with a 4 piece 5wt in a travel case.
Thank you, I really appreciate the info. Have you ever tried drift fishing small presentations on one of those mountain streams? I've tried small beads/corkies and pieces of nightcrawler after a leader with split shots in regular rivers but don't know if that's successful higher up. I just want to make sure my bases are covered when I pack my gear so I don't regret not bringing something, but also keep my rigs simple and easy to carry.

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
I have had a huge amount of success free drifting worms in creeks. Especially if there are brook trout around. I typically try and use as little weight as possible. Using no weight if I can still cast where I want to in most cases. I haven't really tried drifting anything else other flies. Which I have been slightly less successful with, but I think most of that has to do with guessing the wrong pattern or size until I dial it in.

If you are going to have a buddy or two going in with you then split up the tackle load. Have one carry spinning gear and the other fly gear. I also tend to simplify the heck out of my gear. Normally I will carry a single medium sized fly box, two if I am specifically going in to fish, then a small spool (30 yards or so) of each 6 lbs., 4lbs., and 2 lbs. test and my fly rod and reel. Plus something to cook fish with or on.

F
fishlover62
TheKnigit said:
I have had a huge amount of success free drifting worms in creeks. Especially if there are brook trout around. I typically try and use as little weight as possible. Using no weight if I can still cast where I want to in most cases. I haven't really tried drifting anything else other flies. Which I have been slightly less successful with, but I think most of that has to do with guessing the wrong pattern or size until I dial it in.

If you are going to have a buddy or two going in with you then split up the tackle load. Have one carry spinning gear and the other fly gear. I also tend to simplify the heck out of my gear. Normally I will carry a single medium sized fly box, two if I am specifically going in to fish, then a small spool (30 yards or so) of each 6 lbs., 4lbs., and 2 lbs. test and my fly rod and reel. Plus something to cook fish with or on.
That sounds like a great setup, thanks man!

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
If you ever make it to the southern Cascades for a trip shoot me a message. I am not sure if I will be able to go, but I would love to make a couple of trips like that this summer.

EveryNow&Then
EveryNow&Then
fishlover62 said:
Hello everyone,

I’m a longtime lurker of OFF and finally decided to make an account and officially join the community. I have been fishing in Oregon my whole life, but have only recently gotten into day hiking and backpacking. I’m planning on doing extensive backpacking/fishing trips throughout the Cascades and the Wallowas this summer to go for different species of trout in streams and high alpine lakes.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience doing this, and if they can provide any general tips or advice for what gear, techniques, etc. to use.

I currently have a pretty good spinning reel fishing setup for trout, but my fly fishing arsenal is lacking and I am thinking of investing in a Tenkara rod (particularly the Tenkara USA Rhodo). What do you all find works best in mountain lakes/streams scenarios?
Fished up in Wallowas last October. We fished Ice Lake, Douglas and Glacier. All three were productive with brook trout but not very large, maybe 10-12” was the biggest. Have heard some of the lakes up there may hold bigger ones, even Glacier may have produced 16-20” before as it’s a bigger lake. Our most productive lure was a black bodied Panther Martin with gold blade. Good luck!

F
fishlover62
TheKnigit said:
If you ever make it to the southern Cascades for a trip shoot me a message. I am not sure if I will be able to go, but I would love to make a couple of trips like that this summer.
I would love that. I live up north but hope to make it down there. Thanks again for the tips. I fished Clear Lake this weekend near the McKenzie and had some success.

Reactions: MT_dirtbag
F
fishlover62
EveryNow&Then said:
Fished up in Wallowas last October. We fished Ice Lake, Douglas and Glacier. All three were productive with brook trout but not very large, maybe 10-12” was the biggest. Have heard some of the lakes up there may hold bigger ones, even Glacier may have produced 16-20” before as it’s a bigger lake. Our most productive lure was a black bodied Panther Martin with gold blade. Good luck!
That is awesome! The Wallowas are on my bucket list for August... this makes me even more excited!

Fishable
Fishable
If your interested in Tenkara at all you should definitely do it. Its really a blast. You can buy super cheap gear on Amazon just to try it out. If you like it and you're all in decent rods are 120 and up and the tips are super fragile.

F
fishlover62
Fishable said:
If your interested in Tenkara at all you should definitely do it. Its really a blast. You can buy super cheap gear on Amazon just to try it out. If you like it and you're all in decent rods are 120 and up and the tips are super fragile.
just bought a cheap one on Amazon last week--excited to try it out once I can get back on the water!

tastybrookies
tastybrookies
If you're interested in hiking/fishing the Eight Lakes basin this August, let me know. I was planning a 5 day overnight trip around there in mid-August, but my buddy backed out.