Word Travels Fast!

P
plumb2fish
There must have been some fish caught on the Siuslaw lately...LOL

MOSD, my buddy Jim, and I decided to hit the slaw this am. We put in just before light at Whittaker Creek, and were only the 13th boat on the one mile stretch to launch. We pulled into the first open fishy looking water and proceeded to each donate a set up or two to the river.(No wonder it was open) We pull the hook and pushed down stream and one of the other boats was pulling out of another promising looking slot. We slide in and drop the hook. I make my first cast and my ez-egg/corky combo has only barely made the bottom when it gets CRUSHED....FISH-ON...
Now mind you where we are fishing is fairly fast water, and I am hooked up on the far side, aprox. 40' away. As I am fighting my fish, another boat decides to pass through. Instead of coming as close to us as possible, he points the bow right at us and pulls to the side where my fish is holding wrapping my main line on one of his oars, oar lock and himself. I quickly freespooled my reel while yelling you are wrapped up in my line and my fish. He is able to free the line from himself, oar and lock only to run it down the rail of his boat and wrap up in the front anchor mount as he completes his 360* spin. His front seater frees my line from the anchor mount and I immediately start reeling like crazy in the unlikely event the fish is still there.
To my amazement when the line comes tight there is still a fish attached.I begin trying to get this fish which had gotten aprox. 100' down river from me. The water is pretty heavy in this stretch, so I don"t think this fish is gonna come up , but it does. The entire time I am very nervous about my main line after the ordeal with the boat.After several minutes different rod angles and netting attempts, This 35.5" chrome hatchery hen hits the net.

dec 30.jpg

I ended up hooking and handing off two other fish and Jim was rewarded with a platinum 12ish lb hen of his own. All in all a pretty good day at the circus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Admin
T
Throbbit _Shane
That's amazing the fish was still on there after that ordeal lol. Sweet steely! And congrats on taking 1st on the Chromedome tourny.

E
eugene1
Very nice Slaw steelie, Plumb!

Congrats getting it back after that ordeal, sounds like exciting times!!

Y
Yogidabear
I was there today as well , very nice fish great job, I couldn't believe how many boats and bankers. your fish are the first I have heard caught ,I asked a lot of boats as they passed and all said zero.

Last edited:
P
plumb2fish
We pushed through the upper drift pretty quick to get out of the madness. Only saw 3-4 other boats down below and we got 3 more fish down there.

P
plumb2fish
Thanks guys, the best part is that if one of the other 48 fisherpeeps in the chromedome challenge don't bank at least a 35.5+" steel tomorrow, I win $245......

E
eugene1
You deserve it Plumb, maybe kick MOSD a few $ too. I hope he tells you to limit your postings on that system too as it is too small to handle the interweb pressure! J/K kind of... lol

Sounds like wild Ump winter steel are going to be legal again next year so you'll have a run for the money outta that system if there is a contest next season. Anyway, nice steel!

plumb2fish said:
Thanks guys, the best part is that if one of the other 48 fisherpeeps in the chromedome challenge don't bank at least a 35.5+" steel tomorrow, I win $245......

Last edited:
W
waco
Nice fish man! Tomorrow i'm going for my last chance of the year! I hope I can beat the 35.5"mark

P
plumb2fish
eugene1 said:
You deserve it Plumb, maybe kick MOSD a few $ too. I hope he tells you to limit your postings on that system too as it is too small to handle the interweb pressure! J/K kind of... lol

Sounds like wild Ump winter steel are going to be legal again next year so you'll have a run for the money outta that system if there is a contest next season. Anyway, nice steel!

Boy, I really hate hearing they are gonna open the umpqua up to nates.......
I was actually hopeing that people would understand that the Slaw is getting CRAZY pressure....As I have said before though, I will give the where and the how on hatchery runs, but only the how on systems with no or few hatchery fish. The funny thing is all those people crowded in the last half mile of that river, when we got the majority of our fish 5 miles down stream in relative solitude for a hatchery system.

S
steelhead_stalkers
I hear ya about the nates on the Umpqua. Its to bad! Its truly a trophy steelhead fishery and I would love it to stay that way.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
great write-up, made me feel like I was right there on the water fighting that fish myself...

A
alm21
Wow, that fish fight must have gotten your heart racing for more reasons than one. That's a great fish!

D
dtikey
good job mikey and jim and ryan...You should put up thier pics too mike as thier fish are nice also...good luck today hope you get into some more

D
DYJ
that's a great fish!

B
bythesea
very nice,I'll probably be on the slaw wed,thur,& fri just need to figure out where to go.

B
bran_man
Yeah def a big piggy Mike! Nice work!

And Eugene1 I'm pretty sure the chrome dome challenge is hatchery fish only anyways so the ump natives would still not count! ;) And I totally agree that it should have remained c/r, means more pressure on the system as well as less generations of beautiful fish.... :(
(Edited because originally said Waco, not eugene1, apologies!)

Last edited:
D
dtikey
bran_man said:
Yeah def a big piggy Mike! Nice work!

And Waco, I'm pretty sure the chrome dome challenge is hatchery fish only anyways so the ump natives would still not count! ;) And I totally agree that it should have remained c/r, means more pressure on the system as well as less generations of beautiful fish.... :(

YUP YUP and YUP!!!!

B
bythesea
plumb2fish said:
Boy, I really hate hearing they are gonna open the umpqua up to nates.......
I was actually hopeing that people would understand that the Slaw is getting CRAZY pressure....As I have said before though, I will give the where and the how on hatchery runs, but only the how on systems with no or few hatchery fish. The funny thing is all those people crowded in the last half mile of that river, when we got the majority of our fish 5 miles down stream in relative solitude for a hatchery system.

ya, I think they call it combat fishing

3762566240_665c8e853a_z.jpg

P
plumb2fish
dtikey said:
good job mikey and jim and ryan...You should put up thier pics too mike as thier fish are nice also...good luck today hope you get into some more

Didn't want to put Jim on here unless he knew, and I don't have Ryan's pic, I guess I could have saved it from FB....

F
Fish-N-Chips
The motor on that thing is like a Hemi!!! Nice chromer. Man all these hatchery hens are showing up thus far !!! Stoked!