Wilson river fall chinook

F
FG_Fishing8
I'm looking to catch my first chinook this fall and was wondering if anyone has some experience on the Wilson river for the fish and could share some knowledge.

S
steelhead_slayer
Bobber and eggs at any pullout off the highway

F
FG_Fishing8
steelhead_slayer said:
Bobber and eggs at any pullout off the highway

Thanks again. I'm surprised at how much help I'm getting from the people on this site.

W
waco
Wait for some decent rain then start fishing the lower river!!!

troutdude
troutdude
FG_Fishing8 said:
I'm surprised at how much help I'm getting from the people on this site.

Don't be. There are a lot of truly great peeps on here!

BTW, Waco is spot on. Salmon, in all coastal rivers, wait for rising river levels and cooler water temps. Then, they'll move into the lower river; where they stage for the rest of their upriver journey.

Good luck, and please post reports and let us know how you do!

H
halibuthitman
skip the Wilson and fish the Trask or Miami... that's where all the wilsons fish end up anyway-

T
troutmasta
Ha! Go to the Miami if you want to catch vampire salmon.

The lower Wilson gets HOT.

I can't wait.

However, You will catch lost of unkeepable fish on the Miami though.

H
halibuthitman
the lower Wilson does indeed get hot, but without a boat the Trask is a much better bet.. that's just an opinion of course. In the last 5 years Ive landed 11 clipped retainable hatchery kings in the Miami-

T
troutmasta
;)

tomato tomato (doesn't have the same ring when typed)

Any way they both rock just razzin ya a little. I'll be on that other other river running a bobber against the bank.

Tight Lines-

F
fishsauce
Fall chinook will nose into the lower Wilson tide water even before the rains, but access to that area is limited and you'll have to know how to get there. Once it does rain they'll move further up (Mills Bridge area), but all the more popular spots will get busy.

As stated, the Trask will get a better run and will offer more access.

Mainly a bobber and bait show, but don't be afraid to change things up with a big obnoxious spinner.

D
DrTheopolis
My opinion (and we all have one), is that for a young'un starting out, and being in FG, the Wilson is your best bet. First, it has great runs. There's also more bank access -- find any sort of deep hole, or even any sort of medium-depth run with moderate current, and there's fish there. Also, being a novice, people seem more tolerant of others on the Wils than the Poor White Trask.

But, if you're without a boat, you can't chase fish - you have to wait for them to "come to you." The timing is always different, but for the most part, sometime between late September and late October (usually closer to the latter), the fish will come after heavy rains. You want to watch the river level (I think it's available at the top of this forum, and many other sites) - after the rains start to come, go a day or two after the river level comes up 1.5 feet (that's what the Old Timers used to tell me when I was young and learning, seems to hold true). Immediately after a heavy rain, the water will probably be brown and roily (aka "blown out") and full of leaves. But on the first rains, it clears quickly, and usually the next day is a party. Fish will be all the way from tidewater (which is more or less at the base of the hills where the Coast Range meets the plain... the straightaway on the hiway before Tillamook) all the way up high (Jones Creek and above, although they seem to thin out above Jones).

Chuck a bobber and eggs. Or sandshrimp. Or drift either bait. Or toss spinners in sizes 3-5 (depends on the water level and clarity). Toss spoons. Do what you feel comfortable with, since fresh incoming fish aren't really that shy about biting. Once they've been there a couplefew days, they can be picky. Timing is almost-everything. Once the fish come up and start holing-up, then the couple of hours after first light are your best friend And some here will probably bash me for this, but once the water clears a bit and fish settle in, contrary to popular opinion, "settled-in" chinook are indeed line-shy. I've yet to meet the upriver chinook on the Wilson that I couldn't get with 8# mono. Lost a few to bad knots (which should NEVER happen, but does) and snags and whatnot, but never because the fish was too big for 8#. It ain't the Columbia.

But the most important thing you can do is keep your eyes open. Find places (there's a buhzillion on the Wilson) where you can sit above the water (if it's clear enough) and watch the tailout. Watch how they come up. Watch what they do when they come up. Watch where they like to navigate the river. You're probably not going to fish the stream for a season then call it quits, right? Learn the place. Just because no one is fishing a spot, doesn't mean it doesn't have fish. Conversely, just because there's a bunch of people, doesn't mean it's the best spot. And just because "everyone is fishing that way," it doesn't mean it's the best way to fish. Be your own man - lacking an Old Timer to teach you, the School of Hard Knocks is a great way to learn to chinook fish. I never had a good mentor, and my mantra was always "buck convention." Now, I do pretty well... took a while to get there.

Find a fishing buddy, get out there, and enjoy every minute of it... I have, and hope many more can reap the rewards of such a fun fishery.

Reactions: rogerdodger
troutdude
troutdude
One of the best replies, ever on OFF. I tip my favorite fishing cap to you, Dr. T.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
troutdude said:
One of the best replies, ever on OFF. I tip my favorite fishing cap to you, Dr. T.

X2 what a great post.

D
DrTheopolis
I'm just happy to able able to help where I can. While I haven't been hitting quite the broad range of locations that I once did, I'm not shy about sharing what I know about the ones I'm familiar with. Maybe I won't divulge my "super-double-secret-holes," but let's face it - there are no "secret holes" on the Wilson. I'm far from the only person who, over the years, has hiked just about every inch of it. But it has about the same number of "secret spots" as the Clackamas (my most fished river these days).

I'd also like to say that I agree with Fishsauce in regards to the pre-rains tidewater fisheries -- the Trask gets all kinds of fish kegging up, and while I've done very little bank fishing there (we tackle it in a small boat), I've seen many, many bankies fishing all over the place. I believe the Poor White Trask has much better access to tidewater than the other Tillamook streams. Although I might be tempted to steer a young newbie away from the Hospital Hole (aka the Inhospitable Hole), since one bad cast gets you out of favor with the locals in a hurry. Or at least head down a little further and find your own space (I guess I'm biased, but combat fishing isn't my deal -- I'd rather hit less-fishy water by myself/ourselves that battle with the crowd that will inevitably have the bad-apple that sours you on an otherwise friendly group... there's always one that thinks they own it). But if you get a map, and do some exploring, maybe even suck up to a property owner (aka "farmer") with an offer to split the fish, you can find spots. Also not a secret fishery, but there's elbow room to be had if you look for it. Maybe not in the stack-em-up holes, but the fish don't get out and walk around, right?

When I was younger (I'm 46), learning different fishing spots was a great joy in life... and it still is.

And since I'm rambling, that must mean I owe a pic - last October in the tidewater of the Trask (somebody will probably recognize the spot, which is accessable from the bank, since I've seen bankies there). Hooked up right as a crazy-nasty storm hit.

F
FG_Fishing8
Thanks a lot man. Can't say it enough. But what pound test should I use?

D
DrTheopolis
If you're using a spinning reel, I'd probably go with 10#... give or take 2# either way. My last chinook (low water springer on the Clack, about a month ago) was on 8# -- certainly doesn't give you much pull, but light line hooks more fish (don't ever let anyone tell you different). It's better to have hooked and lost than never hooked at all.

I'd also recommend leaving your drag just a hair loose, but still tight enough to get a good hookset. You can (GENTLY) use your forefinger to slow the drag up, but it's hard to go the other way. Drags that are too tight lose more fish than drags that are too loose. Also, if you're using anything but top-of-the-line spinning reels, a couple of "hot" chinook will be the end of your drag washers... your fingertip heals quickly.

troutdude
troutdude
X2. I've used 10# many times; and hauled in 30+ lb. Nooks while fishing with all-black spinners (size 3, in my favorite stream). Just have to utilize the strategies described above.

T
troutmasta
I fish coastal nooks on heavy line. I wouldnt go less than 12.

Teeth on a nook will slice 10 or 8 to pieces.

I use an Abu Cardinal, 12-25 pound main never had a drag isssue.

Ive fought nooks all day 20+ hookups in a day on light line lose most.

Went back with the right line and tagged out by 8.

I fight fish great but these toads are fresh from the salt and do what they want.

If your in a lake or ocean maybe, not in the river in my opinion.

These fish are fresh from the ocean and not line shy.

Also 9 times out of 10 if they get out the hole your fishing they are gone.

coho whatevs, steel whatevs, springers even whatevs. Fall nooks. Real stuff. They'll break OFF.

Its a rare day when you can keep a fall nook on for a 15 minute fight in a small coastal hole. Get em in.

My $0.02

Last edited:
D
DrTheopolis
troutdude said:
Nooks while fishing with all-black spinners (size 3, in my favorite stream).

I'm a huge fan of all black, small spinners in low, clear water, but I've never really used them for fall nooks, since usually when nooks are in the river, there's a little color to the water.

I think I'm going to try your technique this coming season. How do you feel about small black ones in tidewater? I don't go overboard, but usually use a brass or nickel in size 3-4, but am always looking for something new and improved (like most of us).

As far as line size, I won't bash anyone for their opinion (on here, anyways... if we're fishing together, I'll make fun of absolutely everything you do, even if you outfish me), but in my years chinook fishing, I've found the number of hookups is greater with lighter line - no ifs, ands, or buts about it.And I very rarely lose any on 8 or 10#. When I do, it's because I fished the same lure for too long without checking for knot strength/damage. Never had a chinook bite through the line. If a nook does head for the next hole (stuff happens), I usually don't lose it... I'm just getting cold and wet. The best fishing stories involve some idiot jumping in the river after a fish that headed back to the ocean.

Again, just my opinion, which may not even be worth 2 cents. I'm perfectly fine with someone else's opinion differing from mine... use what works for you. I've always been a light line guy, and hauled in a 20# nook on my 5.5 foot ultralight spooled with 4# on a coastal river (and to show what a dork I am... yes, I was targeting chinook with it, in low water conditions). Not sure I've ever used anything bigger than 12# for chinook, except on a bobber rod in tidewater with lighter leader, and we fish 30# on winch-reels when pulling plugs on the Clack/wherever.

On the rare occasions I fish the Columbia... different story. 30# is "ultralighting" on the Big C.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
after slaying some shiny coho last fall on a #4 black bell vibrax with dark green tape (on the back of the blade :D thanks JD...), I am going after fall chinooks this year with black spinners, as my alternative to flasher/herring, in Siuslaw tidewater, I hit great sales during the off season and stocked up on #3,4,5,6 blacks, added the green tape rectangle to some, left others all black. Also got some large black nickel colorado blades to run in front of smaller cut herring...

succeed or fail, I will definitely update on how I do with them...cheers, roger