Why such a closely guarded secret?

F
fredaevans
J
jrbecca
Fred: What a beautiful area you're in. I passed through there Tuesday and will again today. How I regretted not bringing my rod with such incredible water to fish. However, my husband and I are discussing hiking the entire length of the Rogue River Trail West next summer. If we do, my rod will be one of those essential items to pack.

F
fredaevans
The thing that makes the Rogue so 'special' is the huge volume of public access. Have a boat, even better. The ramps are roughly 5 - 7 miles appart from the hatchery all the way to the entry to the 'Wild and Scenic' section. One book you'll want to get is BLM's "Rogue River Float Guide;' complete listing of all the camp sights, etc., Basily designed for boaters, but should be an invaluable tool for 'boots on the ground.'

D
DWFII
fredaevans said:
The thing that makes the Rogue so 'special' is the huge volume of public access. Have a boat, even better. The ramps are roughly 5 - 7 miles appart from the hatchery all the way to the entry to the 'Wild and Scenic' section. One book you'll want to get is BLM's "Rogue River Float Guide;' complete listing of all the camp sights, etc., Basily designed for boaters, but should be an invaluable tool for 'boots on the ground.'

What's available for RV'ers? I have an old 22' that I picked up this year. It's great but it does limit a person to fishing the immediate vicinity or the RV site.

J
JeannaJigs
Oh it's fun to watch these threads snowball. I have my secrets, I have winter steel water I've never taken another soul to that I accidentally discovered on my own and I've never seen anyone else there. I will not even take family there! . It's paradise. That said I'm pretty forthcoming with info about hatchery river systems if people ask via pm because reality is there not much to hide on a stocked river. I've never run into a situation where I was asked to keep my mouth shut, but if someone showed me a spot and asked me to keep it on the down low, i would respectfully keep my mouth shut.

I realize in this day of electronic everything and instant results people don't want to put the foot work in, and I get that people have busy lives (so do I!) but it's really not hard to pound the ground and find your way the old school way, you know, the way those people you harass about being tight lipped did.

O
OnTheFly
JeannaJigs said:
Oh it's fun to watch these threads snowball. I have my secrets, I have winter steel water I've never taken another soul to that I accidentally discovered on my own and I've never seen anyone else there. I will not even take family there! . It's paradise. That said I'm pretty forthcoming with info about hatchery river systems if people ask via pm because reality is there not much to hide on a stocked river. I've never run into a situation where I was asked to keep my mouth shut, but if someone showed me a spot and asked me to keep it on the down low, i would respectfully keep my mouth shut.

I realize in this day of electronic everything and instant results people don't want to put the foot work in, and I get that people have busy lives (so do I!) but it's really not hard to pound the ground and find your way the old school way, you know, the way those people you harass about being tight lipped did.
Pretty much sums it up. Spot on Jeanna especially the highlighted part. BTW...for the record...Jeanna is the queen of run-away threads..just say'n.

Last edited:
J
JeannaJigs
OnTheFly said:
Pretty much sums it up. Spot on Jeanna especially the highlighted part. BTW...for the record...Jeanna is the queen of run-away threads..just say'n.

Been a while since I had a mouse in my car or a snake in my house ;) maybe next summer you'll get to feast your eyes on the mother of all random run away threads, because let's face it, I'm overdue for another holy terror event.

A
agentorange
jrbecca said:
In my first weeks of fly fishing, the person who taught me showed me some favorite fishing holes and taught me a little about reading the water. However, he was adamant that should I ever bring another to fish the area, I wasn't to reveal these fishing holes. It was a well-known and popular recreational area, so I was a little puzzled by this. Yet, even here, I notice that great spots are rarely revealed by name.

Just curious, here, but...why?

I have read most people's response to this and understand their concern. I personally fish a few rivers and bring people down the river in my raft a couple dozen weekend's a year. I love bringing people down the river and showing them my favorite spots. Some of those spots have been changed by river flows and over fishing but, in all honesty, there is still plenty of fish in the river. In Oregon, I don't believe you will have significant issues catching trout or steelhead on the fly anytime soon. We are one of the most regulated states if not the most regulated state in the U.S. Our hatchery steelhead runs are getting better and better and we are slowly bringing back a nice native run of steelhead as well. I could tell you exactly where my top ten favorite spots on 4 or 5 combined rivers for throwing flies to steelhead but that doesn't mean you will ever be blessed enough to feel the tug. The fly fisherman still has to present the fly in such a way that fish will take it. With that said, I am one of the few people that doesn't get bent out of shape if I see someone in one of the spots that I fish. I love fly fishing and firmly believe that there are enough fish in most rivers for the guys that are willing to be out there on the river and away from the TV. That's my cent and a half.

F
FlyBum
agentorange said:
I have read most people's response to this and understand their concern. I personally fish a few rivers and bring people down the river in my raft a couple dozen weekend's a year. I love bringing people down the river and showing them my favorite spots. Some of those spots have been changed by river flows and over fishing but, in all honesty, there is still plenty of fish in the river. In Oregon, I don't believe you will have significant issues catching trout or steelhead on the fly anytime soon. We are one of the most regulated states if not the most regulated state in the U.S. Our hatchery steelhead runs are getting better and better and we are slowly bringing back a nice native run of steelhead as well. I could tell you exactly where my top ten favorite spots on 4 or 5 combined rivers for throwing flies to steelhead but that doesn't mean you will ever be blessed enough to feel the tug. The fly fisherman still has to present the fly in such a way that fish will take it. With that said, I am one of the few people that doesn't get bent out of shape if I see someone in one of the spots that I fish. I love fly fishing and firmly believe that there are enough fish in most rivers for the guys that are willing to be out there on the river and away from the TV. That's my cent and a half.

Ok then, where are those spots at??

B
bran_man
Ha there is pretty much no such thing as a secret fishing hole anymore in Oregon. Guarantee others know about it. but some spots may not be very well known without much pressure . but yes the point of not sharing the info is for less pressure. sucks going to one of your favorite spots and find 10 people already there. just make the fish hard to catch there.

A
agentorange
spots

spots

Well, I know the south santiam very well, the upper deschutes pretty well, minimal lower d knowledge, the north fork of the alsea okay, parts of the mack, and the wallowa pretty well. What do you want to fish for and where?

F
FlyBum
agentorange said:
Well, I know the south santiam very well, the upper deschutes pretty well, minimal lower d knowledge, the north fork of the alsea okay, parts of the mack, and the wallowa pretty well. What do you want to fish for and where?

Chrome on the South! Where do I go, what do I swing for them and which time of the year?

F
fredaevans
You're most welcome Chuck; 'sharing' is why we're all here.:dance:

One other RV park I can highly recommend is 'AtRiver's Edge on the lower Chetco River. About 1.5 miles up the South Bank road. Besides just being a full in RV park they own some of the finest beach on the lower river. You absolutly want to be there a hour or two before high tide change every afternoon. (Give or take about 3PM.) Tide change comes up (and about 1/3 mile above) and this brings in the fish.

Once the tide changes all those fish milling around below you have to make a choice. Up river or back out. For you fly flickers this is some of the most perfect fishing water on the whole river.

A few years back now, but I'm out there doing 'my thing' with a 2 hander standing in about 2' of water. Fish swims by, then another, etc., for the next half hour. Had to be close to 200 fish in that blast that came through. That weekend there was a Charity fishing contest going (one day on the Chetco, the next on the Smith) so I rang up two guides I knew and told them what just happened. One had the Smith the next day, the other the Chetco.

Guess which boat won the contest?
:>)

Last edited:
W
waco
I bet if that map was on your area you wouldn't be sharing it!
Really smart!

A
agentorange
FlyBum said:
Chrome on the South! Where do I go, what do I swing for them and which time of the year?

The typical swinging patterns and colors hold up just fine on the south. If you want really good bank access you can go to the Foster damn. You have about 1/3 of a mile of water that holds fish all throughout. There is a spot about 10 yards down from the boat ramp that isn't fished real hard that seems to produce very well. Look for drop offs and boulders. There is a well-known spot down stream of that called the church camp hole that you can't get into (too crowded) until September or so, but it is a lot of fun to nymph and throw egg patterns after the salmon season is over. There are a lot of other spots on the river that are great to fish but that is the best for walking in. Good luck. PM me some time if you want to go down the river and fish next summer.

J
JeannaJigs
Booya!! The Foster dam deadline rodeo! Combat meat market at its finest. Don't forget to bring your own rock to stand on, or full body armor if you decide to fish it from a boat.

A
agentorange
JeannaJigs said:
Booya!! The Foster dam deadline rodeo! Combat meat market at its finest. Don't forget to bring your own rock to stand on, or full body armor if you decide to fish it from a boat.

That is very true. I don't generally suggest that a fly fisher go there during peak season. I have been there a few times at the end of the season and it's awesome, nobody around. I had the church camp hole all to myself 3 different times in October. Nevertheless, the river was riddled with steelies this year and my smoker was very busy all summer:)