Why such a closely guarded secret?

S
Spydeyrch
GungasUncle said:
Ah - but would you be willing to tag along to discover how the fishing is on a given day? I'm thinking spring trip once the snow is (mostly) gone from the trails. I just got a hot little 3 weight in the mail yesterday - and I've got components coming to build a similar rod (same line as the factory rod I just got, but their 8' 3 weight vs my 7'6" 3 weight factory built model) and they will be needing broken in next season. I'm thinking brookies would be a cool way to get some blood and slime on their grips. What do you think?

@ GungasUncle & Eggs

You guys mind if I join you? I have a 7' 3wt that I use on some small streams. If not, no biggie. Have fun up there!!! :D

-Spydey

F
FlyBum
So, I've been more than generous with a few people on this forum, and my motto has been "You can't keep it unless you give it away." However, there are some places/locations that I assimilate with what John says "Show, don't tell." That is a great thing, which is more along the lines of what I actually try to do with people that I fish with. Many of the responses to the original question are very valid points. And say, if someone shows me some spots on their "waters" you can bet I keep my damn mouth shut! But, if I show you a spot and I see you out there with some other person, you can bet I'll hangout and fish that water with you, maybe even below your buddy!

Reactions: eggs
E
eggs
Kinda how you showed me how to cast at that one spot on that one river standing on that one rock..... but for some reason that rock was like 120' from the water.... :( ;)

H
halibuthitman
eggs said:
Kinda how you showed me how to cast at that one spot on that one river standing on that one rock..... but for some reason that rock was like 120' from the water.... :( ;)

I think you and Jake should keep this creepy **** to yourselves... brokeback Madras...

E
eggs
Brokeback Maupin .. get it right!

Reactions: FlyBum
F
FlyBum
Ahhh, don't kiss and tell! But that 120 foot cast is the key to that spot! Especially when your using that juice weezel fly.

E
eggs
FlyBum said:
Ahhh, don't kiss and tell! But that 120 foot cast is the key to that spot! Especially when your using that juice weezel fly.

Yea but I only got 80' of.line and 5' of backing on my 3wt!

F
FlyBum
eggs said:
Yea but I only got 80' of.line and 5' of backing on my 3wt!

You gotta try harder!! Oh, but were talking about that one spot by the trees there. That's right, you just need to use a 40' leader. So lesson 1. Gotta try harder, use your imagination and MacGyver some $hit.

E
eggs
FlyBum said:
You gotta try harder!! Oh, but were talking about that one spot by the trees there. That's right, you just need to use a 40' leader. So lesson 1. Gotta try harder, use your imagination and MacGyver some $hit.
that's a lot of blood knots! No pain no gain!

J
jrbecca
DWFII said:
Well, I'm sorry to hear that but of course your question wasn't about his (or her?) motives) but about why these things are held so closely to the vest...in general.

True enough, but seeing something that caused me to throw up in my mouth compelled me to say something.

I had no idea I was hitting upon such a hot topic. And while I understand the reasons for keeping such a great spot under wraps, I cannot help but think that doing so is considerably discouraging to those who are new to the sport. And let's face it, everyone wants to experience some success when trying something new. It's what spurs us on to keep trying.

Then again, I may also have a different perspective as a fly fisher, who is also a mom of three under four and expecting another. I'd love to get out there for an entire day or weekend to find my own great spots, but the reality is that my time is usually limited to a few hours, including travel. I don't mind getting skunked (as a newbie, I expect it), but I don't want to be perpetually skunked either. I have Oregon fishing guides and refer to them, but the reality is that I'm also a social fisher. I enjoy fishing with someone and still have a lot to learn, which, for me, means seeing things in action.

I guess that as a woman who is doing things most of my fellow stay-at-home mons shrug off, I feel I have a lot to prove. And part of that means actually catching some fish. I have patience enough, but when looking for new spots to try, it's frustrating when I feel like I have to beg, borrow, and plead. My husband says fishermen are just selfish. I don't think so, but I do think there is something about holding your cards too close to the vest.

Then again, I just may be in a very bad mood. Visiting family after a two year hiatus and my 1 year old won't sleep. At all. Which means I'm not sleeping. At all. Four months pregnant and having to lay on the hotel room floor next to her pack-and-play to keep her moderately quiet while she thinks it's play time, and this is after driving 10 hours? Sooooo not a happy camper here...

F
FlyBum
So what are you looking for here other than sympathy points??

If you're looking for a spot to fish, here's what you need to do:
1- Ask for some help
2- Say what species you are fishing for
3- Name a location (river or lake) that you are wanting to fish at
4- Use PM's (look to see who's catching and PM them and be nice!)
5- Be grateful when someone helps you out and show's or tells you about a place.

I'm sure there are more but no one likes a whiner, you gotta go about this a little better and you will most likely get some help ;)

A
abel
In my opinion there are very few, if any secret fishing holes left, for many reasons. However, if one is willing to put in the time and effort quality fishing and solitude can be found. If one has such places to fish they have the choice of sharing them with others or keeping it to themselves. From my experience, if you want to share, don't put conditions of on the other person. You will very likely be disappointed. In the last year I have had more time and means to fish due to retirement. I have enjoyed the time exploring many rivers, old and new to me. Fishing many new pools and runs I had never fished before. I share these places and experinces with friends because I enjoy their company and it is often not safe for me to fish alone. I choose and enjoy sharing and discussing other fishing related topics on internet forums, and I accept the choices of others.

Last edited:
S
Spydeyrch
jrbecca said:
I had no idea I was hitting upon such a hot topic. And while I understand the reasons for keeping such a great spot under wraps, I cannot help but think that doing so is considerably discouraging to those who are new to the sport. And let's face it, everyone wants to experience some success when trying something new. It's what spurs us on to keep trying.

Yes, it is a VERY hot topic for a number of people, myself included. But that doens't mean that we or I won't share. It depends on the sharer's intentions as well as the sharee's intentions. I bet that if I had started asking for honey holes, special sections of rivers, streams, etc. right as soon as I joined (not saying that you are doing that, nope. :D), I wouldn't have gotten a response at all. And I think I would have been labeled as a mooch ... just moochin' people's places. But by building a rapport first, it has given me an opportunity to show my true colors as well as given the opportunity to others to show me their true colors (@ eggs & HHM, an NO, I am not referring to any brokeback mockery here, hahahahaha:lol:). I think that that rapport of trust is what has allowed other to be willing to show me their special runs and favorite spots.

It may be nice for a new person to get into some fish in the beginning, but I had to really work for my first fish on my fly rod. I didn't really have anyone show me a sweet spot. I studied maps for months; read books; watch youtube videos; listened to podcasts (which if you like to listen to podcasts, I have a few I could recommend!! :dance:); and asked a bunch of questions here. Nothing about special spots, but just general questions .... in general. :D

So I would say that if one were interested in getting some success, that they would have to earn it and show they are serious about learning. Gotta give a little to get a little. I remember going to several different get togethers with several different OFF members and had a blast. I got to get to know some new members, see some I already knew, and all around just had a good time. It is events like that that get your name and face known in this community and will allow others to be more willing to share. :D

jrbecca said:
Then again, I may also have a different perspective as a fly fisher, who is also a mom of three under four and expecting another. I'd love to get out there for an entire day or weekend to find my own great spots, but the reality is that my time is usually limited to a few hours, including travel. I don't mind getting skunked (as a newbie, I expect it), but I don't want to be perpetually skunked either. I have Oregon fishing guides and refer to them, but the reality is that I'm also a social fisher. I enjoy fishing with someone and still have a lot to learn, which, for me, means seeing things in action.

I can understand that. I may not be a mom but and I am a dad of 4 (6, 4, 18 months, and new-born) and I understand how the whole time things works. I can't take off for frequent all day trips and leave my wife with the kids or when I get back, I wouldn't have a wife to go back to!!! hahahahaha :lol: No, she wouldn't leave just because of that. But I would not be a good father and husband in my mind if I did that. That isn't to say that I don't go fishing, no. My wife understands that I need my "me" time too. And sometimes that equates to just a half day of fishing, including travel. Sometimes I can get a whole day of fishing out of it but that usually "costs" me more, hehehehe. ;)

Yes, getting skunked really isn't a fun thing but I think that it is part of the learning process. It allows us to thirst even more for that success and pushes us to work harder for it. If there was only success all the time, every time, then one wouldn't know of the joy that that success creates/gives/brings, unless they had something to compare it to .... enter the skunk!! By getting the skunk (unsuccessful trip) it leaves that bitter sour unwanted taste in our mouths. And then when we are successful, the success gives us a sweet delicious taste in out mouths that we want more of. It is almost a spiritual thing ... hahahahahahahaha!!!! :dance:

I too am a social fisher .... to some degree. I like to share the experience with others, but only if they are going to truly appreciate it like I do and to the depth that I think/feel that I do. I do like to get out on solitary trips sometimes but would much rather enjoy the company of a friend or bring someone to teach that will truly savor the experience. Not saying that I am a great teacher but I like to share a little of my world with others sometimes and see if they like it too. :D

jrbecca said:
I guess that as a woman who is doing things most of my fellow stay-at-home mons shrug off, I feel I have a lot to prove. And part of that means actually catching some fish. I have patience enough, but when looking for new spots to try, it's frustrating when I feel like I have to beg, borrow, and plead. My husband says fishermen are just selfish. I don't think so, but I do think there is something about holding your cards too close to the vest.

Ok, the woman thing ... sorry can't relate. hahahahaha :D Why you have something to prove, I don't know. Do you have something to prove to those other stay-at-home mothers or to us, the members of the fishing community? I would say that you don't have anything to prove to us (the community) except earning the trust of those that you hope one day will share with you. I would also say that you don't have anything to prove to those stay-at-home moms. Stay-at-home moms are the coolest moms there are!! My mom was a stay-at-home mom and so is my wife. It is not an easy responsibility to do. I think that by just staying home with your young family and dedicating time to their needs and growth, you have already proven something of far greater worth, more than any fish you can ever catch will ever prove!!! So don't feel like you have something to prove, cause fishing isn't about that ..... unless you are bunch of guys around a campfire after a long day of fishing and about 4 beers in ya .... then ya, you have something to prove ..... hahahahahaha :lol:

jrbecca said:
Then again, I just may be in a very bad mood. Visiting family after a two year hiatus and my 1 year old won't sleep. At all. Which means I'm not sleeping. At all. Four months pregnant and having to lay on the hotel room floor next to her pack-and-play to keep her moderately quiet while she thinks it's play time, and this is after driving 10 hours? Sooooo not a happy camper here...

Yeah, that'll do it right there!!!!

This morning around 1am my 18 month old woke up and didn't want to be in his bed. Didn't want to be in my bed with me and mommy. Didn't want to be in the guest bed. He wanted to sleep out on the couch but I couldn't be on the couch with him or on the other couch at all. I had to sleep on the ground in front of "his" couch so that his hand dangling down could touch me and he would know I was there. Sleeping on the ground for 2.5 hours and getting up at 5 for work is not really a pleasant experience!!! hahahahahaha. But at least my wife got some much needed sleep. :D

Just hang in there and you will get it. Like I said earlier, there is a TON of information out there and on here that will really help you even before you get a line wet. If you want some good podcasts to listen to, I can share some with you and some sites full of info too. Granted, they don't contain locations or anything like that. But they do contain information that will enlarge your knowledge library of fishing and hopefully allow you to better understand the many aspects that there are to this magnificent addiction! :clap:

Take care and hang in there!!

-Spydey

Last edited:
Reactions: todd_brooks and r_dawg1021
R
r_dawg1021
jrbecca said:
My husband says fishermen are just selfish. I don't think so, but I do think there is something about holding your cards too close to the vest.

I think that fishermen are being unfairly targeted in this post--It's human nature. I have a lot of hobbies; motorcycle (Dirt & street), bicycles (Mt. Bike & Road), camping, fishing, hunting and I do all these things often. Each one of these hobbies involves some type of tribal knowledge that only I know, or the people I do them with know. Everything we do, even driving to work, involves some secret road that we know and don't want to tell everyone else because we think they'll all go the way we go. I enjoy sharing information, but I also enjoy the 'fruits of my labor' when I do the leg work to get what I call tribal knowledge. I don't hold my cards tight, but I do ensure that the people I share my 'spots' with are people that I wouldn't mind hanging out with if I show up and they are already there enjoying themselves.

S
steelhead_slayer
I am willing to trade info with people though ;)

18406ej
18406ej
I have never seen any problem with one "sharing" information on a hole. The only thing that concerns me is that when you have more people coming to one spot you inevitably will attract that special breed of angler that believes that leaving behind bait containers, tangled line, tackle wrappers, beer bottles and other trash will somehow improve the hole.

Someone mentioned the reaction of some to the arrival of a stocking truck. I will never forget when I first started fishing and was over at William Wirth Lake in Salem. A stocking truck arrived and I swear that ten bank fishermen and two float fishermen ran over and were casting into the flume the second that truck opened the chute...first time I ever saw somebody snagging trout.

H
halibuthitman
Jrbecca.... the long and the short of this whole subject and question is the fact that you are green, for example, flybum ( Jake ) is a quite succesful central oregon trout and char fisherman, he could give you exact flies, mile markers or trails to exact locations and you still would be skunked or mildy succesful... simply becouse you don't know "how" to fish his secret spot... there is much more to a secret spot than the spot itself.. so, If I wanted to turn Jake onto steelhead fishing and said " fish the creek like you would fish the upper big d for trout" Jake would know what I meant... and kill them, Now if I told you.. go to the county park the fishings good there you would probably catch nothing... unless I explained that out of the whole 200 yards of fishing water there is only 10 ft of sweet holding water, the far bank under the branch 8 inches from shore always holds a fish... and the slack behind the rootball always holds a couple... the rest oof the water is the desert.. My spots, without me there, are useless to a newbie- so, hang around a bit folks will warm up to you. ( oh, and after hearing about your on the floor consoling a baby while traveling night... your husband sounds like the selfish one..

J
jrbecca
OK, here is my bottom line:

1) I enjoy sharing my passion with others. I'll happily take anyone on my favorite hiking trails. I'll share a great recipe I just found. I am excited to teach others how to achieve their goals, if I have any expert knowledge that's relevant. Do I do all the work for them? No. But I will happily guide, correct, and encourage. That is part of my personality, which may not always fall in line with yours. That's why I started the topic. Because one day, I hope to have enough subject knowledge that I can help others become interested in a sport that encourages conservation, creativity, and teaches an intrinsic survival skill.

2) I will equate favorite fishing holes to secret family recipes. You don't share with everyone, but a well-deserving family member will get the "show-not-tell" treatment. But realizing even then that it takes a lot of practice to master, say, the best dinner rolls you'll ever make from scratch. End of story here.

3) Spydey is officially my favorite OFF member.

4) I have caught fish on my own. The first time, it was the greatest feeling ever. Everyone deserves to feel that.

5) I'm either going to annoy you or intrigue you here. Ignore me if you wish, but let's avoid the name calling, shall we?

6) I would caution against treating fly fishing as a secret society. I belong to one and we found that in keeping too much a secret, our organization started to suffer and we were losing our ability to achieve our goals. We shared more and started to thrive again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spydeyrch and r_dawg1021
S
steelhead_slayer
Welcome to the forum

S
Spydeyrch
Yes, welcome to OFF. :D

-Spydey