Why such a closely guarded secret?

J
jrbecca
In my first weeks of fly fishing, the person who taught me showed me some favorite fishing holes and taught me a little about reading the water. However, he was adamant that should I ever bring another to fish the area, I wasn't to reveal these fishing holes. It was a well-known and popular recreational area, so I was a little puzzled by this. Yet, even here, I notice that great spots are rarely revealed by name.

Just curious, here, but...why?

G
grampa ron
There are a certain amount of PIGS that will keep whatever they catch and fish it out. I have a favorite Bass spot that I wouldn't dare share. It would be ruined in less than a year.

S
steelhead_slayer
For me. If I have a great spot. I don't want to tell everyone because 1: when I go to fish a spot I don't want to have to deal with someone else being there first, and 2: if it is a trout hole I don't want it to get fished often because it will cause the fish to become more picky and cautious.

D
DWFII
jrbecca said:
In my first weeks of fly fishing, the person who taught me showed me some favorite fishing holes and taught me a little about reading the water. However, he was adamant that should I ever bring another to fish the area, I wasn't to reveal these fishing holes. It was a well-known and popular recreational area, so I was a little puzzled by this. Yet, even here, I notice that great spots are rarely revealed by name.

Because there are more and more people wanting to take up flyfishing every day. Aside from the obvious scenario where someone who has fished a run for years suddenly finds himself crowded out, there is an increasing pressure on the fish as well.

And one other thing...while I have your attention...back in the day, esp. on rivers such as the North Umpqua, there was an unspoken code of conduct that everyone accepted and adhered to. Low-holing was not only frowned upon...people just didn't do it. They respected the other guy's claim on the stretch. At the same time a person didn't hog that stretch. They fished through and everyone got their turn.

The watchword was "respect"--for the fish and for other fishermen.

Nowadays with the increased pressure and people who haven't grown up with and/or don't share that kind of innate courtesy and respect, some of the joy and relaxation that was always there has dissipated. I've been on the D and seen people standing in runs...in the middle of the day...not fishing, just holding the run so that no one else can get in.

If I had a run or a pool that I had spent years learning and come to love, I wouldn't share it with strangers either. The fact that your mentor shared with you is a sign of trust. A wisdom passed on. When the day comes that you understand why the admonition was given, you'll be ready to pass your favourite places on to the next generation.

Reactions: steelhead1
S
Spydeyrch
DWFII said:
If I had a run or a pool that I had spent years learning and come to love, I wouldn't share it with strangers either. The fact that your mentor shared with you is a sign of trust. A wisdom passed on. When the day comes that you understand why the admonition was given, you'll be ready to pass your favorite places on to the next generation.

Here Here!! :clap:

-Spydey

S
steelhead_slayer
DWFII said:
Because there are more and more people wanting to take up flyfishing every day. Aside from the obvious scenario where someone who has fished a run for years suddenly finds himself crowded out, there is an increasing pressure on the fish as well.

And one other thing...while I have your attention...back in the day, esp. on rivers such as the North Umpqua, there was an unspoken code of conduct that everyone accepted and adhered to. Low-holing was not only frowned upon...people just didn't do it. They respected the other guy's claim on the stretch. At the same time a person didn't hog that stretch. They fished through and everyone got their turn.

The watchword was "respect"--for the fish and for other fishermen.

Nowadays with the increased pressure and people who haven't grown up with and/or don't share that kind of innate courtesy and respect, some of the joy and relaxation that was always there has dissipated. I've been on the D and seen people standing in runs...in the middle of the day...not fishing, just holding the run so that no one else can get in.

If I had a run or a pool that I had spent years learning and come to love, I wouldn't share it with strangers either. The fact that your mentor shared with you is a sign of trust. A wisdom passed on. When the day comes that you understand why the admonition was given, you'll be ready to pass your favourite places on to the next generation.

Very true

Troutski
Troutski
Extreme Sharing...

Extreme Sharing...

Just because one shows someone a great fishing hole doesn't mean anyone can catch fish... I share to an extreme and when I return to those holes I still catch fish.
On a funny note: One of my favorite Steelhead holes that I usually take a virgins to has been very good to me and the guest, to the point that it has developed a nick name over the years "Cripple Creek"... the name says it all.

Chuck

H
halibuthitman
jrbecca said:

for the exact same reason I don't tell people how a movie or a book ends... its a journey, enjoy it-

C_Run
C_Run
Just an aside to this topic. I am kind of a technophobe but the other night my son was showing me how to get GPS coordinates from digital photos using EXIF data from photos taken with phones with gps. You might want to be careful what pictures you post of your fish at secret locations if you use your phone.

NWDiscer
NWDiscer
C_Run said:
Just an aside to this topic. I am kind of a technophobe but the other night my son was showing me how to get GPS coordinates from digital photos using EXIF data from photos taken with phones with gps. You might want to be careful what pictures you post of your fish at secret locations if you use your phone.

hmmm interesting.... im gonna make sure to bring the point an shoot from now on.

R
r_dawg1021
jrbecca said:

I think that part of it is ego, especially when it's a well known hole that a lot of people go to. Some people like to feel as if they are 'all knowing', when in fact what they know is common knowledge. I've had people take me to their 'secret' fishing hole, and sure enough it's on page 125 in the Fishing In Oregon book. I think that the point others are making is more related to finding a place that might be close to a popular hole, but it's just different enough to not draw the masses. Unless the hole is on private land there's a pretty good chance that it's known by many people. There's no doubt that if someone asked me to not reveal their favorite fishing hole I'd keep quiet, and I have seen little unknown spots taken over by snaggers and the other unmentionable types of people.

I used the Fishing In Oregon book as a starting point for my fishing spots. I absolutely hate combat fishing, and would rather be home watching football than tangling lines with a bunch of bozo's. Using the book as a reference allowed me to get to a spot that is known for catching fish, and moving further up or down stream to my own little spot.

Reactions: Irishrover
D
DWFII
C_Run said:

I may be wrong...I don't own a cell phone...but don't you have to set your camera to record EXIF data? I know that's the case on my old Fujitsu.

NWDiscer
NWDiscer
r_dawg1021 said:
I absolutely hate combat fishing, and would rather be home watching football than tangling lines with a bunch of bozo's.

i am in total agreement with this statement. i have never experienced "combat fishing" but having seen a few videos...:shock: I think that i would rather walk a couple of miles and get skunked, rather than have to be untangling/cutting my line to catch a fish.

i have been known to walk over a mile just to get to an unpopulated swimming area away from the masses. :rolleyes:

T
tomriker
Guys I know how to solve all your problems, dig/buy your own lake or a piece of land that Straddles both sides of a river/stream

Irishrover
Irishrover
I tend to share information, especially if forks here on the forum are asking about a place and I have fished it. I think it's best to honor a request to not mention a place if a person took you to a spot and ask you to keep it quiet. However overall I don't mind sharing locations and tips on tactics. Most of the good spot in Oregon, as has been mentioned, you can find in one of many books. Authors Dave Hughs, Scott Richmond, and Geoff Hill have covered a lot of the good locations. The real problem is finding the time to fish all the water that Oregon has to offer, what a great state. I just can't find the time to do it all Fish Lake and the Donner und Blitzen in the Steen, the Chewaucan near Pasiley, the Williamson, Walton Lake, Antelope Flat, and on and on. If you choose to keep a spot as a secrete that's fine too I have nothing against it, as I view it as a personal choice.

R
r_dawg1021
tomriker said:
Guys I know how to solve all your problems, dig/buy your own lake or a piece of land that Straddles both sides of a river/stream

:clap: That's a great idea!

E
eugene1
tomriker said:
guys i know how to solve all your problems, dig/buy your own lake or a piece of land that straddles both sides of a river/stream

lol!

C_Run
C_Run
DWFII said:
I may be wrong...I don't own a cell phone...but don't you have to set your camera to record EXIF data? I know that's the case on my old Fujitsu.

I don't know since I didn't grow up in the digital age. I believe you can shut it off or delete it before posting. I just switched from film to digital in 2011 and I don't have a phone that takes pictures. We were just doing a tutorial and not any Sherlock Holmes stuff. I was surprised how fast you could go from a picture on a website to a pin on a Google map if you know how. It's the kind of mistake I would make, though, posting a picture with the gps coordinates embedded.

D
DWFII
tomriker said:

Well, that's what the situation in much of the UK is...and no one but wealthy landowners can afford to fish.

Just saying...

R
r_dawg1021
DWFII said:
Well, that's what the situation in much of the UK is...and no one but wealthy landowners can afford to fish.

Just saying...

That's when it's time to buy a cheap boat and set anchor.