Want to get into Fishing.

P
pdxnewbie
Although living in Oregon for last 4 years, it is kind of shame that I don't know squat about fishing. Planning to get my fishing license and some gear to start with, any valuable suggestions from experienced fishermen/women on this forum to get me stated is appreciated. Things like what gear, some places on where to look, techniques, type of fish to target for a newbie.

BTW I live in the Portland/Beaverton area if that helps to identify places, stores, type of fish available etc.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
L
LuckyToBeFishing
I personally don't live in PDX, but can tell you that you have come to the right place for help and info. There are a lot of cool folks on this forum that are happy to help out the newbies. Welcome to OFF!
Tight lines.

P
pdxnewbie
Thank you Lucky.

T
TimberTodd
What type of species are you looking to target "trout, bass, salmon, steelhead"? Fishermans Marine in Tigard woulld be a good place to shop. Also if you have a BiMart close by, they have a good sporting goods dept.

P
pdxnewbie
I go to Bi-mart to buy my gun supply's. I don't know about any species, so I would like to start with something which s easy to learn catching, reading some posts I think "Trout" is relatively easy compared to other species.

S
steel Head
great place to come for info on fishing im not exactly new to fishing but new to it again after years of not fishing and a newcomer to fly fishing. every one is great here on OFF. lots of knowlage to drop.

P
pdxnewbie
I only know to buy em at Winco and bake them in my Oven :)

Now want to catch them and bake them :)

S
steel Head
best thing to do is just go for it get a decent set up gear or fly and get out on the water put some hours in

P
pdxnewbie
steel Head said:
best thing to do is just go for it get a decent set up gear or fly and get out on the water put some hours in

Is there a kit for beginners , I would also look for something which I can carry during backpacking.

W
wozniasm
pdxnewbie said:
Is there a kit for beginners , I would also look for something which I can carry during backpacking.

You can purchase a starter fly rod/reel for under $100 - usually $60 to $70.
These will break down to from 2 to 4 pieces which may fit into a backpack for hiking but more than likely stick out a bit but better than a spinning rod/reel plus lures and bait. They also have backpack types. Flies are light and don't take up any room.
Waders or hip boots would be a plus so you can wade out a bit when you hike into a lake or stream.

I use spinning rods as well and most of my life but fly fishing to me is more of a passionate artform. It takes a bit but I taught myself to cast so if I can do it, you can!

Give it lots of consideration on the type of fishing you think you would enjoy more - casting, banking, floating, etc.
Trout to me would be the way to go for starters - lots of areas stocked and the season is much longer than warm water species around here.
Welcome to the Forum!

P
pdxnewbie
Is this what I need?

1. Rod
2. Reel
3. Line
4. Hook
5. Bait (Power Egg)

Any specific brands I should look for? or get something used to start with and then graduate to something expensive equipment.

C
colt
This is for either bankfishing or trolling. I fish different ways and use pretty much the same rod (exceptions being for larger bass, I have a separate pole for that). I am no expert at this but I have been fishing for quite some time and my father spends a good chunk of money on fishing gear. My opinion might vary quite a bit from what others might have. I have no fly fishing experience but I have heard wonders about fly fishing from those that do.

I have noticed that I have done quite well with a light rod that is 7 and a half feet in length (Okuma). Sensitive, yet durable enough to fight a fish. I bought a couple ugly stiks for the kids that are 6'6" and they aren't nearly as sensitive but they have a 5 year warranty, although they should last you a lifetime. You can go with either ultra-light, light, or medium. You won't want to go with a heavy rod and if backpacking/hiking, I think a light might be easier on your back. They will be just right for creek fishing should you find a decent spot. The good thing is most rods can break down into two pieces, although might not be as small as you'd like, better than nothing I would think.

As for reels, be best to start out with a spinning reel and find one that feels good and smooth. They are all comparable but like some people might say, you get what you pay for.

Line is not something you want to go cheap on. If you buy the cheap stuff, plan on fixing your loops and birds nests often, as they aren't smooth on the cast as much as something like stren. I have heard wonders about spiderwire, but never tried them. Best bet is to start out with 8 lb mono line by stren. Good for starting out and catching a variety of fish.

For hooks, get snells for trout (great for powerbait or eggs and you can also catch creek trout with these)
4/0 or larger for bass (any smaller and they can bend, as I prefer to hook them like I am trying to turn them inside out. Bass are tough fish.)
4/0 or similar for catfishing (can use snells for the smaller catfish)
They have crappie fishing jigs and tubes/grubs for crappie (or panfish. Pretty much same thing and involves perch as well).

As for bait, it all depends on what you are fishing for. Trout will go after worms, powerbait, eggs, spinners (mepps, rooster tails, and panther martins work wonders in my area).
Bass will go after spinnerbait, worms, soft plastics, crankbaits, topwater lures, etc.
Catfishing is not something I am highly experienced in but I have seen worms and chunks of meat work well for them.

Now for brands, I bought the kids an ugly stik rod (6'6''), an okuma reel, a small tackle bag with carry strap, powerbait, hooks, sinkers, bobbers and ended up paying about $250 (Two kids, so about $125 for one person). This is just so you can see what you might end up paying, and I bought all these at Bi-Mart. You might want a different variance with what I listed dependent on what your budget is and how you want to start out. You can spend a good chunk of change starting out then spend less and less in the long run to just add to your collection. Starting out usually costs more until you start getting the higher quality/priced goods, which can run you pretty high depending on what you are fishing for and how you fish.

You might want to consider getting pliers for hook removal, and if you're conscious about catch and release and not tearing up the fish, you can pinch the barbs off the hook (got a friend that will do that just to help reduce damage to the fish's mouth.) The downside to that is the hook can fall out easier if you let the line go slack too much.

Hope I helped you out with this. At least some part of this anyways. I do what I can to the best of my ability.

Reactions: waco
W
wozniasm
pdxnewbie said:
Is this what I need?

1. Rod
2. Reel
3. Line
4. Hook
5. Bait (Power Egg)

Any specific brands I should look for? or get something used to start with and then graduate to something expensive equipment.

What you have there is a basic bank set up for a spinning setup. You'll also need weights (egg style - 1/4 oz. or smaller), swivels and leader material which is more line but a smaller pound test that's on your reel. A pair of hemostats will help get hooks out, and a stringer if you plan to keep them. A net down the road but you can get along without one for a while - I don't usually have one when banking for trout.
You can get an inexpensive spinning combo rod/reel for under $40. It will come with line on it but you never know how old it is but you can start with it. As far as brands, everyone has an opinion and they should recommend some in future replies. The better the brand, the more expensive but I have Shakespeare and Daiwa's (both inexpensive) that I've had for several years with no issues.
I suggest no more than 8 lb line on your reel with 4 or 6 lb leader line. Your rod will have recommended line size on it to help.

Basic bottom fishing set up:
Egg weight on line followed by a swivel. Leader line hooked to that with about 2 to 3 foot with a hook on that. When casting out, the powerbait will float above the bottom the length of your leader. The egg sinker on the line allows the trout to pull the line (not the weight) so you'll know it's tapping your bait earlier.

W
wozniasm
colt said:
This is for either bankfishing or trolling. I fish different ways and use pretty much the same rod (exceptions being for larger bass, I have a separate pole for that). I am no expert at this but I have been fishing for quite some time and my father spends a good chunk of money on fishing gear. My opinion might vary quite a bit from what others might have. I have no fly fishing experience but I have heard wonders about fly fishing from those that do.

I have noticed that I have done quite well with a light rod that is 7 and a half feet in length (Okuma). Sensitive, yet durable enough to fight a fish. I bought a couple ugly stiks for the kids that are 6'6" and they aren't nearly as sensitive but they have a 5 year warranty, although they should last you a lifetime. You can go with either ultra-light, light, or medium. You won't want to go with a heavy rod and if backpacking/hiking, I think a light might be easier on your back. They will be just right for creek fishing should you find a decent spot. The good thing is most rods can break down into two pieces, although might not be as small as you'd like, better than nothing I would think.

As for reels, be best to start out with a spinning reel and find one that feels good and smooth. They are all comparable but like some people might say, you get what you pay for.

Line is not something you want to go cheap on. If you buy the cheap stuff, plan on fixing your loops and birds nests often, as they aren't smooth on the cast as much as something like stren. I have heard wonders about spiderwire, but never tried them. Best bet is to start out with 8 lb mono line by stren. Good for starting out and catching a variety of fish.

For hooks, get snells for trout (great for powerbait or eggs and you can also catch creek trout with these)
4/0 or larger for bass (any smaller and they can bend, as I prefer to hook them like I am trying to turn them inside out. Bass are tough fish.)
4/0 or similar for catfishing (can use snells for the smaller catfish)
They have crappie fishing jigs and tubes/grubs for crappie (or panfish. Pretty much same thing and involves perch as well).

As for bait, it all depends on what you are fishing for. Trout will go after worms, powerbait, eggs, spinners (mepps, rooster tails, and panther martins work wonders in my area).
Bass will go after spinnerbait, worms, soft plastics, crankbaits, topwater lures, etc.
Catfishing is not something I am highly experienced in but I have seen worms and chunks of meat work well for them.

Now for brands, I bought the kids an ugly stik rod (6'6''), an okuma reel, a small tackle bag with carry strap, powerbait, hooks, sinkers, bobbers and ended up paying about $250 (Two kids, so about $125 for one person). This is just so you can see what you might end up paying, and I bought all these at Bi-Mart. You might want a different variance with what I listed dependent on what your budget is and how you want to start out. You can spend a good chunk of change starting out then spend less and less in the long run to just add to your collection. Starting out usually costs more until you start getting the higher quality/priced goods, which can run you pretty high depending on what you are fishing for and how you fish.

You might want to consider getting pliers for hook removal, and if you're conscious about catch and release and not tearing up the fish, you can pinch the barbs off the hook (got a friend that will do that just to help reduce damage to the fish's mouth.) The downside to that is the hook can fall out easier if you let the line go slack too much.

Hope I helped you out with this. At least some part of this anyways. I do what I can to the best of my ability.

Colt's input is excellent!:clap:

Reactions: colt
P
pdxnewbie
Thank you Colt and Woz.

I live in Hillsboro.

P
pdxnewbie
I don't need a boat right? I just have to show up stand on the bank and start fishing. Is there any etiquette I need to follow when I fish? That way I don't anger experienced fishermen by doing something stupid :)

W
wozniasm
pdxnewbie said:
I don't need a boat right? I just have to show up stand on the bank and start fishing. Is there any etiquette I need to follow when I fish? That way I don't anger experienced fishermen by doing something stupid :)

Bank fishing is from the shore.
As far as etiquette, don't cross anothers line; if you do, apologize and try not to do it again, don't get too close to another fisherperson - respect their space, be friendly and don't be afraid to ask questions from others. Most are glad to share 'some' information.

When you get there, watch what others are doing. Try going up to them and ask if they're biting and on what.

If it is crowded, ask the person if they mind if you can "slip in". I try to be at least 15-20 feet from the next person.

Last edited:
Reactions: waco
T
Toyracer38
You will find that fellow fishermen (for the most part) are very friendly and willing to give advice. They may not give ya the recipe for their secret scent ( dang them ) :), but very willing to tell you how to set up your gear and point you in the right direction. I've been fishing my whole life, but only this year started plunking for Salmon and Steelhead. I started out by researching websites, for how to set up my gear and also watching youtube videos. Once I made it down to the river, I found plenty of help from my fellow anglers. Now I'm doing pretty darn good getting fish and made some good friends while I'm at it! Just go to a local fishing spot, before ya buy any gear and talk to some people that are fishing there. They can show you what you need and maybe recommend a good local place to get it. Good luck to ya!

S
steel Head
also try bait shops hang around in there listen to the chit chat ask questions no question is a stupid one. you will get a lot of advise on here to all you have to do is ask you will get it belive me. where are you located at maybe I can take you to some spots i know and love. getting set up can be hard some times when you dont know what to get. but then again just ask

P
pdxnewbie
Steel Head, Im located in the Portland area (Hillsboro)