Wader questions

H
hunt-fish-trap
I need a pair of waders for a fat man, and ideas or suggestions. I hesitant to order online without knowing how they will fit

O
OnTheFly
Go into Fishermans and try some on. Most breathables will be baggy anyway for bending room. For warmth get a pair of fleeces designed for the purpose.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
hunt-fish-trap said:
I need a pair of waders for a fat man, and ideas or suggestions. I hesitant to order online without knowing how they will fit

:think: How old is your avitar pic? That is not a "fat man"...just sayin'.:lol: OTF has the best advice, whether you buy them there or find some online. And I definitely agree with the fleece, it will make a world of difference to your comfort zone. :D

K
Kevinb5688
I bought a pair of the cheap waders at cabelas. They are 3mm neopreme with felt built on shoes. They were only 58$.
I like them but you have to wear long johns and wool socks because they arent that warm.
I like the canvas ones but i didn't have that kind of cash.

N
Noahk
Bi-Mart is a good option if you just want some cheap neopreme ones (what I use). I got mine on sale last year for like 30 bucks.

Last edited:
H
hunt-fish-trap
they are for my dad, and getting his crippled old butt around is a pain. I have got all the xxl ones from around me locally. I was thinking about the stouts from cabelas, and they are on sale hella cheap so I just pulled the trigger on them and we will see in a few days

O
OnTheFly
Neoprenes can be tough to get into and get out of for a large fella. You almost need to roll them on like a condom. Stick with the breathable lightweights. IMO.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
OnTheFly said:
Neoprenes can be tough to get into and get out of for a large fella. You almost need to roll them on like a condom. Stick with the breathable lightweights. IMO.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

H
hunt-fish-trap
oh boy dont I know it. but none of the breathable's in my price range come for fat people. They are for those skinny fly fishin peoples

E
eat, sleep, fish
hunt-fish-trap said:
oh boy dont I know it. but none of the breathable's in my price range come for fat people. They are for those skinny fly fishin peoples

I picked up a pair of cheap XXL breathables from BiMart that were on sale for $50. It was a year ago, and they're still going strong. It's always a good idea to run in there and see what they've got on sale.

H
hookbait
eat said:
I picked up a pair of cheap XXL breathables from BiMart that were on sale for $50. It was a year ago, and they're still going strong. It's always a good idea to run in there and see what they've got on sale.

I've been curious about those. After I tried on their hip waders with the built on boots I didn't even look the others. The boots on the hip waders were so flimsy I thought they would be uncomfortable walking across gravel, let alone scrambling over the banks of the Wilson.

B
bigsteel
OnTheFly said:
. You almost need to roll them on like a condom.
Sheepskin:think:

L
lilsalmon
Don't buy him neoprenes....it IS like a condom (but not as fun)and they are not meant for "big" people.....don't even ask how I know that :lol:;):redface:. Hodgeman breathables in stout are great...you can add layers to keep warm and move in them...

W
wozniasm
hunt-fish-trap said:

Who you callin' skinny!?
I have the lightweight breathables and they are over sized so i can put them on over my pants AND long johns.
I might look like one of those wrinkle dogs but I'm comfortable and warm and can stay in the water for quite some time!

O
OnTheFly
wozniasm said:
Who you callin' skinny!?
I have the lightweight breathables and they are over sized so i can put them on over my pants AND long johns.
I might look like one of those wrinkle dogs but I'm comfortable and warm
Really Steve?:shock:
Sharpei.jpg

H
halibuthitman
hookbait said:
I've been curious about those. After I tried on their hip waders with the built on boots I didn't even look the others. The boots on the hip waders were so flimsy I thought they would be uncomfortable walking across gravel, let alone scrambling over the banks of the Wilson.
hip boots are for bush pilots, and moose hunters, they are very dangerous and I would suggest against anyone walking a river like the trask, wilson or any other river with rocky ledges and deep pools in a pair of them.. just sayin-

W
wozniasm
halibuthitman said:
hip boots are for bush pilots, and moose hunters, they are very dangerous and I would suggest against anyone walking a river like the trask, wilson or any other river with rocky ledges and deep pools in a pair of them.. just sayin-

Agreed X 10! Way too many time stepping out thinking it's a foot or so finding it three or four feet deep....

troutdude
troutdude
halibuthitman said:

Could not agree more! I got a pair full, at Moonshine on the Siletz once. It was NOT a good feeling to have the weight of full waders pulling you down the rock and towards the water--with no one to help!

K
Kevinb5688
My dad had to grab my arm and save my life when i was 16 because of hip boots. I slipped in fast water and they filled up and sucked tight around my knee area. It was very scary.
I couldnt stand up or anything and my head was barely above the water. You couldnt pay me to wear those things again.

S
salmon_slayer87
I have fished with hip boots for the last 2 years...only because i didn't have to pay for them..and because i had nothing else.
but this year I am planning on buying some actual waders. lol. im sure ill be much happier with them.
Good luck to you and your Dad.
Dale