Bow rider for fly fishing ?

W
william-d
I've been fly fishing for some years and usually fish from a canoe or float tube and sometimes just with waders but a few years ago my wife brought home a 1984 Fiesta bow rider 3.0 liter OMC stern drive that she picked up for next to nothing ($150 dollars with a title). Its in need of a lot of repairs, the motor will need rebuilt for sure as I cannot turn the motor over but the block is not cracked. The hull seems to be intact without any soft spots that I've found so far. I've been kicking around the idea of rebuilding the motor but I will also have to completely gut the interior and recarpet and replace the seats and soft top. It could turn out to be a money pit though I'm still up for the challenge as a weekends project. I'm not sure however that a sterndrive bowrider would be any good for fly fishing for larger lakes or from the Mckennzie river or Willamette. Anyone else fly fished from this type of craft?

Chromatose
Chromatose
The real question is, do you really want to spend the kind of money you will need to spend on this craft?
But to answer your original question, I have fly fished from open bow and pretty much anything that would float.

Casting Call
Casting Call
william-d said:
I've been fly fishing for some years and usually fish from a canoe or float tube and sometimes just with waders but a few years ago my wife brought home a 1984 Fiesta bow rider 3.0 liter OMC stern drive that she picked up for next to nothing ($150 dollars with a title). Its in need of a lot of repairs, the motor will need rebuilt for sure as I cannot turn the motor over but the block is not cracked. The hull seems to be intact without any soft spots that I've found so far. I've been kicking around the idea of rebuilding the motor but I will also have to completely gut the interior and recarpet and replace the seats and soft top. It could turn out to be a money pit though I'm still up for the challenge as a weekends project. I'm not sure however that a sterndrive bowrider would be any good for fly fishing for larger lakes or from the Mckennzie river or Willamette. Anyone else fly fished from this type of craft?
Your gonna spend at least $8,000.00 to get where you want to be. Some fixer-upper! To answer your question ur gonna modify it to fit ur needs, it won't be the same as it is now. So, the question is mute. Tony