Trout in the Wilson?

C
ChezJfrey
halibuthitman said:
Here's a little insider tips for you chez and modest... if you want to catch a wilson river winter steelhead, and its been muddy and high for over a month, I suggest looking for those fish in the Trask.. becouse thats where they end up- And on nothing more than a personal opinion and not stating a "fact" here, but the wilson river and sandy river have to be the two most over hyped steelhead rivers In the world.

Funny you mention that because you are the very person that had me looking for driving routes to the Trask earlier in the week; I saw a post from you about hitting several rivers, Wilson included, and suggesting N. Trask of the ones you fished.

Anyway, in a conversation with a neighbor of mine, he also mentioned that a couple of his buddies were having success at the Wilson right now, so he thought things might be heating up. And when looking at past catch numbers, the trend seems that around March the Wilson numbers up a bit.

So there ya have it, don't listen to the hitman and the Wilson is not missing a steelhead and instead has two slightly miffed trout swimming about :)

M
Modest_Man
The Trask is where I caught my first and only steelhead so far. Hooked one on the Wilson a month ago, but it broke me off. Now, back to trout...

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
GDBrown said:
Back to trout....... I have had evenings where I have caught 25-30 fish during the evening hatch. Usually only takes 45 min or so before the bats come out then I quit. Fish just can't compete with the bats and stop biting. I have done this just about anytime during the spring or fall as there is usually a short summer break where there is just too little water that doesn't have people splashing around chasing the fish away.

We've got to hit up the river mid-week during the summer. I can't recall in recent memory a day where I've seen more than a couple other anglers on the water, let alone the splash & gigglers. There's a really nice stretch near the Siskyville boat slide that's got some nice long, slow currents that just beg for skating a caddis on during a summer afternoon or evening.

I
ibfishin
I use humpies on the Wilson and do very well, also use ant, nymph, and adams.