Sturgeon fishing equipment

C
ctownballer03
Hi, first off I'd like to say that I'm new here and I'm not sure if this is the right category to be posting in, although it seemed the most correct.

I've recently gotten into fishing more, and would like to move onto sturgeon fishing. Could I get some advice for equipment (rod/reel/etc) to purchase for Sturgeon fishing on the banks. I'm looking to a get a good quality pole and reel, but I don't know exactly what I'm looking for. I'd mostly want to fish for keepers, but it'd also be very fun to fish for over sized sturgeon, so maybe recommend equipment that could possibly support both. Also any pointers or anything I should know about sturgeon fishing from a bank would be nice, I've only been sturgeon fishing off a boat once and it was a long time ago, never have I been off a bank.

Lastly, could any one fill me in on good locations for bank sturgeon fishing. I'm from the Portland, OR area, but can drive a ways.

Thanks, you don't have to answer every part to the multiple part question I just asked, information about any part of my question is very appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
F
fish4life
If on a budget I would go with a okuma sst 13'10" rod and a daiwa sealine reel and 30# mono, should be able to get that for less than $250, make sure reel will hold 225 yards or more of line. If you want to go more expensive route you can get a lamiglas rod. Also check craigslist seen a lot of used lamiglas rods on there. You want a rod heavy enough to cast 10 oz of lead and bait. Pointers would be mainly to learn how to cast far without backlashing, sandshrimp and rollmop are a good starting point for bait, crappie are also used by many people. I mainly fish the Willamette anymore and don't fish the Columbia very often, popular spots are Bradford Island and Tanner Creek up at Bonneville Dam. Oversize fishing off of the bank is difficult, no boat to chase them down in. You might also want to check out some local pawn shops they might have some gear. Bring plenty of sinkers you will need them, if you are planning on fishing a lot would be a good Idea to buy a melting pot and some molds and make your own. You can find sinkers on craigslist for cheaper than you can buy from a sporting goods store, hope this helps out and good luck.

T
Toyracer38
I fish St. Helens with a 12 foot Ugly Stick and Daiwa Eliminator w/ Penn 320's with the line guides removed, spooled with 30# Berkley Big Game. Casting 12 oz. All depends on how far ya gotta cast and how much lead, as far as the pole goes. We don't see much for oversized where I fish. My bait of choice is fresh squid with the head removed and body cleaned out. Stuff the squid's body full of smelt, rollmop, whatever and stretchy sting it on your hook. This bait lasts along time. Hate when I fish a whole Smelt and a shaker just sucks the guts out of it.

C
ctownballer03
fish4life said:
If on a budget I would go with a okuma sst 13'10" rod and a daiwa sealine reel and 30# mono, should be able to get that for less than $250, make sure reel will hold 225 yards or more of line. If you want to go more expensive route you can get a lamiglas rod. Also check craigslist seen a lot of used lamiglas rods on there. You want a rod heavy enough to cast 10 oz of lead and bait. Pointers would be mainly to learn how to cast far without backlashing, sandshrimp and rollmop are a good starting point for bait, crappie are also used by many people. I mainly fish the Willamette anymore and don't fish the Columbia very often, popular spots are Bradford Island and Tanner Creek up at Bonneville Dam. Oversize fishing off of the bank is difficult, no boat to chase them down in. You might also want to check out some local pawn shops they might have some gear. Bring plenty of sinkers you will need them, if you are planning on fishing a lot would be a good Idea to buy a melting pot and some molds and make your own. You can find sinkers on craigslist for cheaper than you can buy from a sporting goods store, hope this helps out and good luck.

Thanks a lot for the response.

Sorry I'm a noob, what is 30# mono? Also could you be a little more specific on a type of Lamiglas rod, I found a multiple different rods with a wide price variation between them. I don't know exactly what kind I'd need for bank sturgeon fishing.

Also is this the specific reel, you are talking about?
http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=5tHzT5K_FMjCrQHG5KDmAw&ved=0CFwQ8wIwAA

Also what would be the actual performance difference between the akuma sst and the more expensive Lamiglas?

Thanks again.

C
ctownballer03
Thanks for the response, would you suggest the Penn 320 reel over the daiwa sealine reel recommended above?

T
Toyracer38
No I wouldn't suggest the Penn over the daiwa sealine. The sealine is a great reel. The Penn does do the job for me. I suggest scouting the places you think you would fish and see what others are using to get to the fish, then gear up accordingly. Off the dock in St. Helens, I've seen people use boat rods and were able to get to the fish. I fished with a guy last weekend for Salmon. He had 2 of the okuma sst's. One 12' and a 13'. I didn't know much about Okuma, but think I may have to pick one up in the future.

Oh 30# mono is 30 pound test monofilament. That's your main fishing line on your reel.

Last edited:
C
ctownballer03
Toyracer38 said:
No I wouldn't suggest the Penn over the daiwa sealine. The sealine is a great reel. The Penn does do the job for me. I suggest scouting the places you think you would fish and see what others are using to get to the fish, then gear up accordingly. Off the dock in St. Helens, I've seen people use boat rods and were able to get to the fish. I fished with a guy last weekend for Salmon. He had 2 of the okuma sst's. One 12' and a 13'. I didn't know much about Okuma, but think I may have to pick one up in the future.

Oh 30# mono is 30 pound test monofilament. That's your main fishing line on your reel.

Thanks again for the response, was helpful.

S
Sturgeon
ctownballer03 said:
Thanks a lot for the response.

Sorry I'm a noob, what is 30# mono? Also could you be a little more specific on a type of Lamiglas rod, I found a multiple different rods with a wide price variation between them. I don't know exactly what kind I'd need for bank sturgeon fishing.

Also is this the specific reel, you are talking about?
http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=5tHzT5K_FMjCrQHG5KDmAw&ved=0CFwQ8wIwAA

Also what would be the actual performance difference between the akuma sst and the more expensive Lamiglas?

Thanks again.
I fish primarily from the bank, and I use the lamiglas SB1665f. I have 2 of these that are custom wrapped. 13'8. Great all around rod for sturgeon bank fishing and salmon plunking if you ever want to do that. Both have sealine reels on them. I would recommend a sealine x40sha or x50sha and 30lb mono, however, I do run a x30sha on one of mine with 25lb mono, which allows me to cast a little farther. I have caught a lot of oversize on these rods and reels as well.

N
nativefish
Thanks for all the info, these are all questions i had as well but never got around to posting. From my research i have found the everyone pretty much recomends the Diawa Sealine. Why is that rather than the penns?

V
veilside180sx
nativefish said:
Thanks for all the info, these are all questions i had as well but never got around to posting. From my research i have found the everyone pretty much recomends the Diawa Sealine. Why is that rather than the penns?

The Sealine is capable of casting much further. The spool disengages from the drive train while casting, and lacks a distance sapping levelwind. It does require a good thumb for both putting line back on and to keep from line issues while casting.

If you've ever casted a Penn 320 it requires that you lay it on one side or the spool rubs which causes friction and lowers casting distance as well.

C
ctownballer03
Sturgeon said:
I fish primarily from the bank, and I use the lamiglas SB1665f. I have 2 of these that are custom wrapped. 13'8. Great all around rod for sturgeon bank fishing and salmon plunking if you ever want to do that. Both have sealine reels on them. I would recommend a sealine x40sha or x50sha and 30lb mono, however, I do run a x30sha on one of mine with 25lb mono, which allows me to cast a little farther. I have caught a lot of oversize on these rods and reels as well.

Hi where would I buy a lamiglas SB1665F, I typed it in to look at it and see price range, but I didn't see any place that sells it.

V
veilside180sx
ctownballer03 said:
Hi where would I buy a lamiglas SB1665F, I typed it in to look at it and see price range, but I didn't see any place that sells it.

Most likely a discontinued model, as I don't see it listed as a current model.

N
nativefish
what about a reel like a shimano cardiff 400, would that compare to the Sealine? I guess the shimano only holds about 150 yds of 30lb mono....

V
veilside180sx
nativefish said:
what about a reel like a shimano cardiff 400, would that compare to the Sealine? I guess the shimano only holds about 150 yds of 30lb mono....

Cardiff 400 is a decent reel, but not for bank fishing...not for sturgeon. The Sealine will definitely outcast it, and be better as far as longevity is concerned.

I have an Abu 6500 that the frame is twisted from the torque an oversize put on it. The Cardiff has a stiffer frame than the Abu, but it's still a small frame reel that is not meant for the stress that a big gator will put on it. (we've put quite a few albacore in the boat on a Cardiff 400, but they don't match the shear mass of a large sturgeon)

If you prefer Shimano...get a Torium. (basically a Tekota with no levelwind)

Last edited:
C
ctownballer03
Does anyone know of any current models of lamiglas rods that would get the job done for Sturgeon bank fishing? And a link to where it can be purchased? That would be much appreciated, thanks.

T
Toyracer38
Im sure someone will give ya a response ctownballer03, but just in case. Lamiglass has a factory store in Woodland Washington. 1400 Atlantic Ave.
Woodland Wa. 98674 Probably save a few bucks buying direct from them.

V
veilside180sx
Toyracer38 said:
Im sure someone will give ya a response ctownballer03, but just in case. Lamiglass has a factory store in Woodland Washington. 1400 Atlantic Ave.
Woodland Wa. 98674 Probably save a few bucks buying direct from them.

If they have a second in the shop, then you'll save...otherwise they sell at MSRP.

C
ctownballer03
Thanks for all the responses.

Does anyone know of a good Lamiglas rod that is still a continued model?

Also I got a question about transportation. I'm assuming these Lamiglas rods are one piece, although I don't know that for sure, how do you go about transporting a 13-14 foot rod? Thanks again.

C
ctownballer03
bass said:
Hey ctownballer03, unless money is no object, you may want to start out with a good rod rather than the most expensive rod for a new type of fishing . Something like an Okuma SST Sturgeon rod (SST-13102XH) or an Ugly stik will certainly serve you well at 1/4 to 1/3 the cost of the Lamiglas. You can find the SST for about $95 normal price and sometimes on sale and I think Ugly stiks are a bit less. Later, if you really feel the need to own a fancier rod (not even necessarily better) you can upgrade to a more expensive rod. Just some advice from someone who owns rods from Lamiglas (low end), Okuma, Berkley, Browning, Zebco, Fenwick, Pflueger, Shakespeare, Shimano, etc.

Yup, I got the same advice from someone on another forum, and I think I've decided on Okuma SST 13'10, that was recommended a lot. With a Sealine x40 reel, were would you recommend purchasing these items?

bass
bass
I am not sure where you live but I would look around. I believe that Fishermans marine and Dicks both carry the rod in Portland, probably other places as well.