Spoon fishing for steelhead

H
halibuthitman
yeah, don't use $1.50 cheap tear drop spoons... especially if they are painted.. you won't catch ****-

T
Throbbit _Shane
are you being sarcastic brad?

H
halibuthitman
T
Throbbit _Shane
ok good... :D its hard to tell over the interwebs

Troutski
Troutski
Feel the force...

Feel the force...

Spoon fishing is like being able to see with your lure...sounds crazy but after a while you will understand. My only advice is be sure to match the weight of the lure with the flow of the water you are going to fish.
When I started out I bought a bunch of blank spoons from the Fisherman's Corner in Philomath, then paint some; dipped some, and experimented with the rest.
Very cool way to catch most fish in Oregon, from Lake Trout to Cutties and everything in between. My favorite way by far, I started making my own a few years back and have done quite well on some of my own designs...I even have a collection of Diachroic Glass lures...very cool to troll in shallow water; the light refraction is amazing.
Good luck and Tight lines ....

Chuck

S
SmallStreams
nativefish said:
that spoon you got there works better in shallow water due to is rather wide tear drop shape. During the swing portion of your "drift" it will rise to the surface much faster than an oval shape. Its kinda fat and catches a lot more resistance from the current. I prefer more oval shaped spoons with a more of a bump in the narrow tear drop rather than a large concave shape and believe it gives them a better thump in the water rather than a roll if you understand what im talking about. Also i read somewhere if you are having trouble getting to the bottom, its not as simple as adding more weight, rather changing the length or shape or thickness of the metal that the spoon is stamped out of.

Ah-ha!... that's possibly why I've had significantly better success with the Luhr Jensen Krokodile than the traditional teardrop spoon.

S
SLEDME
The Stee-Lee type spoon can be used in deep or shallow water with success you just have to adjust your retrieve speed.The best way i have found to fish the Stee-Lee is to throw slightly upstream and let the spoon bang the bottom for a while and once it gets about 45 degrees downstream pick your rod tip up and let it swing up from the bottom.Letting the spoon hang for about 5 seconds or so at the bottom of the swing then slowly retrieve it.My wife caught 3 Summer Steelhead in about 1 hour a few years back on a Stee-Lee type spoon and she had a fourth on so the spoon can be effective.Real Silver plating on a spoon does make a difference just as it does on a spinner blade.A single Siwash hook in a 1/0 size is also a good addition on a spoon.

M
merryjoagnel
Don't forget to let it swing all the way across the river!!

F
FG_Fishing8
IMG_1760.jpgIMG_1760.jpgI've recently become interested in using spoons for steelhead and I was wondering what everyone's favorite brands/colors/sizes were. I've been purchasing the Little Cleo's in 1/3 OZ in a variety of colors, some solids, some 50/50's.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Those are good colors. I mostly throw a 2/5 oz lil cleo style spoon. I like the Cleos but not the price for them. Solid Brass is one of my favorites, that half blue half silver is another killer!

F
FG_Fishing8
Throbbit _Shane said:
Those are good colors. I mostly throw a 2/5 oz lil cleo style spoon. I like the Cleos but not the price for them. Solid Brass is one of my favorites, that half blue half silver is another killer!

Should I buy larger ones as well?

T
troutmasta
I fish the 2/5 in deep water for mostly salmon. The 1/3 oz is perfect for fast ripples.

I catch a lot of my fish not even reeling in just free drifting.

Spoons are making a comeback. Those cleos are money too.

If you find a bunch on sale snake em up.

Also in my experiance copper w/ red is killer!

Dont neglect that blue and green one though.

F
FG_Fishing8
troutmasta said:
I fish the 2/5 in deep water for mostly salmon. The 1/3 oz is perfect for fast ripples.

I catch a lot of my fish not even reeling in just free drifting.

Spoons are making a comeback. Those cleos are money too.

If you find a bunch on sale snake em up.

Also in my experiance copper w/ red is killer!

Dont neglect that blue and green one though.

My local BiMart has the cooper/red but it is 2/5. I'll have to check to see if they have a 1/3 oz.

H
halibuthitman
ANY spoon rolled and then swung propperly will produce.. That being said, i am a die hard steelie teardrop guy.. I have done a lot of spoon fishing and all i really can say is learn how to use your spoon of choice.. And be ready to hold a lot of 12+ lb fish-

C
ChezJfrey
Those are good. The half chrome/half green or half blue in 2/5 are great in the winter waters I fish. In summer, I swear by 1/2 brass, 1/2 black or 1/2 copper, 1/2 black in 1/3 oz.

Just got this today on 1/3 oz.

2013-08-21_19-51-47_310.jpg

F
FG_Fishing8
halibuthitman said:
ANY spoon rolled and then swung propperly will produce.. That being said, i am a die hard steelie teardrop guy.. I have done a lot of spoon fishing and all i really can say is learn how to use your spoon of choice.. And be ready to hold a lot of 12+ lb fish-

What do you mean by swing?

F
FG_Fishing8
ChezJfrey said:
Those are good. The half chrome/half green or half blue in 2/5 are great in the winter waters I fish. In summer, I swear by 1/2 brass, 1/2 black or 1/2 copper, 1/2 black in 1/3 oz.

Just got this today on 1/3 oz.

I took a trip to the wilson a few days ago and fished the gold spoon because thats all I had at the time. I saw 4 steelhead, one of them being a hefty son of a gun. Hoping to catch one myself before the chinook head in.

troutdude
troutdude
FG_Fishing8 said:
I've recently become interested in using spoons for steelhead and I was wondering what everyone's favorite brands/colors/sizes were. I've been purchasing the Little Cleo's in 1/3 OZ in a variety of colors, some solids, some 50/50's.

Little Cleo's are my go-to spoon; and have been for many years. They catch multiple species, under a variety of fishing conditions. I carry at least two of several patterns, and various sizes, with all-brass being my all-time favorite.

I use "new" models, when necessary. But, I buy the "old school" Eppinger brand originals whenever I find them (scouring flea markets, yard sales, second-hand shops, antique stores, eBay, Craig's list, etc). They are thicker, and have a somewhat different (better IMO) action than their "Acme" brand knock OFFs. They are easily recognizable; by the "Little Cleo" dancing girl stamped on the reverse. But again--the newer versions also catch fish.

Little Cleo.JPG

Good luck. You'll have a lot of fun, with those!

BTW, I highly recommend getting a copy of Bill Herzog's book, "Spoon Fishing for Steelhead". It's $14.95 at Bi-Mart and a great, and easy, read.

P.S. One of our forum MOD's, likes those original spoons too. What say ye Troutski?

Last edited:
F
FG_Fishing8
troutdude said:
Good luck. You'll have a lot of fun, with those!

BTW, I highly recommend getting a copy of Bill Herzog's book, "Spoon Fishing for Steelhead". It's $14.95 at Bi-Mart and a great, and easy, read.

Thank you, I'll check it out!

troutdude
troutdude
You're very welcome.

Tight lines,

TD