Tuff Roe

M
morilpinurface
I've been working on developing a good salmon roe cure for sturgeon fishing. The issue Im having is the cured roe isn't milking. It stays red and hard way too long. You can play basket ball with these things. Using a little salt and a little sugar as a base then adding various scents. I'd like to see them milk out in 20 minutes or so. I'm not bouncing the bait on rocks or anything. We fish tidal water, usually a mud bottom. Tried curing by adding the ingredients directly to the roe and watching it juice and drink it back up and using the ingredients to make a brine as well. Still not milking.! Anyone have an idea on what I'm doing wrong or some tips that may help? Which hardens, the sugar or the salt? Using about a tablespoon of each to a pound of roe (single eggs).

Thanks

Diehard
Diehard
Sounds like your drying them to long try getting them jared or bagged up within 48 hours good luck

M
morilpinurface
I dont dry them. Once they absorb all their going to I put them in a jar and use or freeze them.

Diehard
Diehard
My only other suggestion would be try a commercial cure these milk great i personally like the red hot double stuff good luck

• Screenshot_20240302-104024_Gallery.jpg
M
morilpinurface
From what I am told sturgeon dont like the sulfites and nitrates in commercial cures. I've never personally tried them myself maybe I will what do I have to lose.

Diehard
Diehard
Ive hooked a few while bouncing eggs for chinook if you do a little research you might find a milder brine i think the pautkes egg cure is more geared towards steelhead and i think has less nitrate

M
morilpinurface
From what I am told sturgeon dont like the sulfites and nitrates in commercial cures. I've never personally tried them myself maybe I will what do I have to lose.

M
morilpinurface
I'll give it a try. Thanks