Siltcoos Lake fishing reports

G
getsdwyz
Way to go good-looking fish I'll be down Saturday to see if I can do a repeat

U
upperroguepirate
are there a few places from the bank where we could get some silver? I haven't been up there yet

Last edited:
S
ss guppie
I am heading over to Siltcoos for the first time tomorrow with my 2 boys they both were able to hook up on the slaw earlier this year but no fish in the boat, a couple of questions i have.....do you fish the tides at all on the lake and once one of the boys or myself tag out for the day can we switch to a ford fender to chase the SRC (keep the boys or myself from boredom?)

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
ss guppie said:
I am heading over to Siltcoos for the first time tomorrow with my 2 boys they both were able to hook up on the slaw earlier this year but no fish in the boat, a couple of questions i have.....do you fish the tides at all on the lake and once one of the boys or myself tag out for the day can we switch to a ford fender to chase the SRC (keep the boys or myself from boredom?)

welcome to OFF! tides do not effect the lake level but they can have an effect on when fish arrive due to the beach crossing and dam...plus the tides/sun/moon can effect when fish are biting, if you believe in that stuff...

once you tag an adult coho, the NW zone rules are "4. Anglers may not continue to angle for jack salmon or trout after retaining a limit of adult salmon or steelhead." so the correct thing to do is bring in the rod and relax and/or man the net....

cheers, roger

S
ss guppie
Thank you Roger for the welcome and the answers! Hope to actually get fish in the boat for them this time, its their first year and they both got to fight fish but didn't get em in the boat. Fortunatly they are addicted now!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
upperroguepirate said:
are there a few places from the bank where we could get some silver? I haven't been up there yet

TYEE Campground has some bank access. Bridge where Lake Blvd. crosses the outlet has a small spot under it.

If you drive all the way around to the top of the Fiddle Creek arm, there appears to be bank access OFF the road but I have just seen it from the boat.

remember the 101 bridge is the deadline; fishing is closed west of that.

C
CoastieFlo
Yeah it would be nice if they would open it west of 101, with a deadline around the dam........open up a lot more bank access for people

C
CoastieFlo
eugene1 said:
Good going guys!

That lake is a gem.

Best,

Actually the Coho run is about the only thing going on Siltcoos. The other fish populations have crashed in the last few years. The BG Algae bloom gets pretty bad sometimes too.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
CoastieFlo said:
Actually the Coho run is about the only thing going on Siltcoos. The other fish populations have crashed in the last few years. The BG Algae bloom gets pretty bad sometimes too.

Based on my fishing trips on the lake, there appear to be tons of nice sized yellow perch and the SRC run is very strong. I am happy to have seen less bass, I prefer them to thrive elsewhere and legally retain any that I catch.

Trout are way down due to ODFW making only minimal plantings in Siltcoos, this in large part intentional to reduce the amount of coho smolt bycatch- the less people trolling for trout, the less coho smolt injured or retained as "kokanee" or "shiny trout"...cheers, roger

N
nwdunerider
Has anyone heard of any salmon in tackenitch yet ?

U
upperroguepirate
yeah but consider if they did..if bankies with alligator mouths were to become braggarts online every time they caught a silver we would see tons of people invading what few spots there are from the bank. women, children, running all over the place, babies in strollers, no such thing as quiet. Maybe not, but i'm not wasting my gas on that place until I have a boat parked in my driveway.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
We spent a beautiful Saturday on the lake in the 'Coho Bandit' but the fish were scarce along the west shore and not biting, found a few to target, got a big one to hit my lil'cleo right near the kayak but it didn't hook-up... did not see any of the boats fishing along the west side catch any. Dam closed up tight as a frogs tailpipe, we launched at Tyee and the river was dead still... cheers, roger

Last edited:
S
ss guppie
rogerdodger said:
We spent a beautiful Saturday on the lake in the 'Coho Bandit' but the fish were scarce along the west shore and not biting, found a few to target, got a big one to hit my lil'cleo right near the kayak but it didn't hook-up... did not see any of the boats fishing along the west side catch any. Dam closed up tight as a frogs tailpipe, we launched at Tyee and the river was dead still... cheers, roger

My son and I went out Saturday morning and pretty much threw out the whole tackle box and drug it behind the boat to no avail, we seen 3 boats get fish on and in and talked to a guy that caught one also. We tried everything including some very odd combinations that didn't work so I wont mention what they were. We did have a great day on the water before the rain hit and I got a free boat inspection courtesy of Douglas County.

U
upperroguepirate
hey roger, in what direction do you mostly find yurself trolling on that lake? north to south east west, west east, etc..do u really mix it up at all? Also, u have any lure Jensen crippled herring? try something different. Do the coho's concentrate on part of the lake just before their spawn? or could they really be anywhere? Do those fish spawn in the tribs or do they lay down their eggs in the lake itself?

J
JeannaJigs
My impression after fishing all day Saturday staring at the sonar until my eyes felt like they were going to bleed, is that the fish that moved in while the dam was open (it closed Thursday 230 pm) rapidly made their way to the upper creeks out of the lake. There were loads of fish Thursday, none to speak of in comparison saturday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
upperroguepirate said:
hey roger, in what direction do you mostly find yurself trolling on that lake? north to south east west, west east, etc..do u really mix it up at all? Also, u have any lure Jensen crippled herring? try something different. Do the coho's concentrate on part of the lake just before their spawn? or could they really be anywhere? Do those fish spawn in the tribs or do they lay down their eggs in the lake itself?

we don't troll. we cast spinners and spoons along the west shoreline, often targeting fish that are rolling and holding in the shallows there. we occasionally 'spin/troll' along the west shoreline.

when there are coho in the lake, we catch them. when there are not, we don't. I agree exactly with what Jeanna said, the fish that moved in during the last burp seem to have moved into the creeks quickly. the lake appears full and I expect them to open the dam again soon.

the coho spawn in Maple Creek and Fiddle Creek. sometimes they will queue up at the top of the arms; other times they head right into the spawning creeks. sometimes lots will hang around the lake near the outlet, other times they will head across the lake quickly.

Siltcoos is different each day and also different each year. that is part of the fun of succeeding there. I think Eugene1 described Siltcoos correctly as a "harsh mistress". cheers, roger

E
eugene1
rogerdodger said:
I think Eugene1 described Siltcoos correctly as a "harsh mistress". cheers, roger

Yes she is! It's kinda a bummer when you are driving home with no fish but you fished hard all day.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Monday noon: lake level high (full), dam not open.

B
billfisher
:thumb: Hope there's more waiting!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
billfisher said:
:thumb: Hope there's more waiting!

oh there should be, probably the biggest fish yet. I know at least one guy that goes out and gets one pretty much every year at Siltcoos...on Thanksgiving Day!