Siltcoos Lake fishing reports

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Saturday afternoon: water level has increased an inch or two...

G
getsdwyz
the stick says 8'0 at westlake hopfully we start seeing some coho i trolled from the river to fiddle creek and didn't mark any. picked up a couple SRC though.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
getsdwyz said:
the stick says 8'0 at westlake hopfully we start seeing some coho i trolled from the river to fiddle creek and didn't mark any. picked up a couple SRC though.

I hope to see that stick at 7'0 when I get there tomorrow, that probably mean a short 'tagged out' fishing day!

G
getsdwyz
Yeah I will be there at 7:30 taking my father-Inlaw hopping to get him. Into a fish

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
getsdwyz said:
Yeah I will be there at 7:30 taking my father-Inlaw hopping to get him. Into a fish

I won't be there till about noon but if you see a grey Hobie with the FlyingTigers teeth&eye on the front swing by and give me a shout! cheers, roger

Last edited by a moderator:
G
getsdwyz
First day I've been on the lake and got skunked . Not even a little perch

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I visited the dam today. Getting the video uploaded, will post it soon...

G
getsdwyz
I figured out what happened about getting skunked my father-in-law brought bananas on the boat.I saw them when he was getting on the boat in his lunch bag totally spaced it out now I know what went down.I knew it couldn't be my fishing techniques :)

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
getsdwyz said:
I figured out what happened about getting skunked my father-in-law brought bananas on the boat.I saw them when he was getting on the boat in his lunch bag totally spaced it out now I know what went down.I knew it couldn't be my fishing techniques :)

not wanting to toss cold water on your theory but I think the lack of coho in the lake might have had something to do with the skunk....

C
CoastieFlo
If u want to know if the damn is open, you can always call The Sportsman, they usually know. If ur local, just drive over the 101 bridge and look for current....or the cars parked next to the bridge!

U
upperroguepirate
being new to Florence in sept. and haven't gone to the lake yet. im fishing from the bank so where can I go to cast spinners. We're able to fish the river too right? Kings should be there as well right. What a massive storm this is. God sent the rain for his fish and ours. I need a few kings. took my first drive above mapleton, was only able to fish for a few min.

J
JeannaJigs
upperroguepirate said:
being new to Florence in sept. and haven't gone to the lake yet. im fishing from the bank so where can I go to cast spinners. We're able to fish the river too right? Kings should be there as well right. What a massive storm this is. God sent the rain for his fish and ours. I need a few kings. took my first drive above mapleton, was only able to fish for a few min.
You can fish the river but ONLY ABOVE the 101 bridge. There is a campground called tyee, and there is some bank access there if you get there early enough. There are no kings in this system except the very rare occasional stray.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
JeannaJigs said:
You can fish the river but ONLY ABOVE the 101 bridge. There is a campground called tyee, and there is some bank access there if you get there early enough. There are no kings in this system except the very rare occasional stray.

what she said!

further, it is is not open for chinook or hatchery coho, see page 34 of the perm. regs, retention is limited to non-fin clipped coho and non-fin clipped jack coho. anything else that got confused and wandered in would need to be released. 2W is the only allowed tag code for location 84!

Tyee campground is just as you turn OFF for the West Lake area, it has some good bank access and is day use only but does require a fee or one of the federal passes if you want to park in it by the river...it has a small/primitive boat launch that works fine for kayaks and probably drift/small boats. There is also a little bank access under the bridge where Lake Blvd. crosses the river.

However, once above the dam the coho don't appear to linger in the river, they would need to be passing by to make your day...

lastly, we are having a real frog strangler here in Florence, since 10pm Tuesday, more than 2" have already been recorded by NOAA....and it is still coming down hard as of 5pm Wed...

G
getsdwyz
Had to go down to coos bay this morning for work and was done around noon so i shot down to siltcoos and got drenched the water was coming down so hard it was showing up on my sonar screen. NO COHO maybe this weekend

J
JeannaJigs
My parental unit and sibling unit hit the lake today for the majority of the day and said it was pretty dead, and essentially not worth the downpour that permeated their raingear. They primarily fished the river to get out of the wind, and nothin' was moving through.

C
CoastieFlo
Yeah there prob was a few fish waiting when they opened the dam, but we need several days of it being open to get some good numbers of fish in the lake (ie jumpers seen in the normal places)

J
JeannaJigs
yep...been fishing this run since they opened it in 2003...looking back at all my logs, this run doesn't really peak until the begining of november most years.

U
upperroguepirate
thanks Roger. 2W. & 84. I've got different answers on this question but how many coho's are we allowed per year if we fish the lake, or river above the bridge where you guys are talking about? 20? on my 1st purchased tag? or no? I have read the regs but it was confusing to me. Thanks
rogerdodger said:
what she said!

further, it is is not open for chinook or hatchery coho, see page 34 of the perm. regs, retention is limited to non-fin clipped coho and non-fin clipped jack coho. anything else that got confused and wandered in would need to be released. 2W is the only allowed tag code for location 84!

Tyee campground is just as you turn OFF for the West Lake area, it has some good bank access and is day use only but does require a fee or one of the federal passes if you want to park in it by the river...it has a small/primitive boat launch that works fine for kayaks and probably drift/small boats. There is also a little bank access under the bridge where Lake Blvd. crosses the river.

However, once above the dam the coho don't appear to linger in the river, they would need to be passing by to make your day...

lastly, we are having a real frog strangler here in Florence, since 10pm Tuesday, more than 2" have already been recorded by NOAA....and it is still coming down hard as of 5pm Wed...

N
nwdunerider
you are allowed 5 total wild coho
2 from the river and 3 from the lakes or 0 from the river and 5 from the lake

U
upperroguepirate
ok, thank you. I even asked a guide this a month ago and he told me 20, but I have to keep buying tags. so I don't know. he sounded a bit confused as well.