Siltcoos and Tahkenitch

T
TTFishon
Anyway, back to Siltcoos. What pound test should I use for coho fishing?

M
mikeredding
I understand they like a fairly fast troll. How fast and how far back do you run your gear?

J
JeannaJigs
TTFishon said:
Anyway, back to Siltcoos. What pound test should I use for coho fishing?

10-12 is more than enough. I have been running 50 pound braid with a 10 pound mono leader, because i'm lazy and didn't want to re-spool my salmon reel...Tomorrow, it's goin' in the garbage and i'm going back to my 10 pound mono.

J
JeannaJigs
mikeredding said:
I understand they like a fairly fast troll. How fast and how far back do you run your gear?

I don't run my gear THAT far behind...just enough to get it down to 3-5 feet...it depends on how fast you're trolling, how deep it dives...I slow down my troll a bit when the water's colder...but pick it up a bit when it's warmer...i'm not sure it makes a difference or not, but that's what i do. I don't know exactly how fast it is...but with a 12 foot mirrocraft...use the electric trolling motor with i think 30 pounds of thrust...on setting 2 when there's no wind.

T
TTFishon
JeannaJigs said:
10-12 is more than enough. I have been running 50 pound braid with a 10 pound mono leader, because i'm lazy and didn't want to re-spool my salmon reel...Tomorrow, it's goin' in the garbage and i'm going back to my 10 pound mono.

So if 10-12 is more than enough would 8 be fine?

T
Thuggin4Life
TTFishon said:
It's not Crescent I'm thinking about but that would be fun too.

yeah downriggers would be for cresent or odell and probally koke fishing at other lakes i want to investigate. Any lake up there would be a good trip I think.

T
Thuggin4Life
I hate hiking so I would pay to camp and lunch a boat full of gear to get a water front spot.

T
TTFishon
Thuggin4Life said:
I hate hiking so I would pay to camp and lunch a boat full of gear to get a water front spot.

I don't mind hiking but it does sounds good to just throw the gear in the boat and head to the camping spot.

T
Thuggin4Life
Yeah easier by far. but not sure were you would park after that.

T
TTFishon
Thuggin4Life said:
Yeah easier by far. but not sure were you would park after that.

Why? Can't I pay for parking for two days worth?

T
Thuggin4Life
All the boat ramps I have been too are ussually day use only but i'm sure you could get away with it or pay to park at the resort.

T
TTFishon
Thuggin4Life said:
All the boat ramps I have been too are ussually day use only but i'm sure you could get away with it or pay to park at the resort.

That's good to know. Thanks. I'll probably go there on a day trip and go camping east bound.

T
Thuggin4Life
What day you thinking? Me and Jeanna will be fishing Sunday.

T
Teo
Just Back from Siltcoos

Just Back from Siltcoos

I just got back from 3 days at Siltcoos. Day 1, Wednesday: dam open lots of fish up in the river, and fisherpeople too. Some fish caught. I only caught 1 cut that day out in the lake.

Day 2: Drove over to Maple Creek. There's a fishing camp there called Nightingale's where I could launch my pontoon boat for $5. I don't grudge the money. Take Canary Rd. off Hwy 101, then Siltcoos Station Rd. There are docks, restrooms and a good enough boat ramp. A word of warning, the road down into Nightingale's is kind of steep, so if you're towing a boat you want to be sure that your rig is strong enough for your boat and trailer. I Caught some nice cuts again, 3 in the 18 inch sizes. A good dinner for 3. Rained like crazy. Got soaked through. But no coho though some others had a little success.

Day 3: Thought I'd try Maple Cr. again. Weather good. Lots of boats trolling. Fished with spinners for several hours like everyone else. Several fish caught by others. Decided to give up spinners and go back to Wiggle Warts. The problem I was having with Wiggle Warts is that they would dive too deeply and I was always catching lots of weeds if I gave either my cast or my troll any speed. So I decided to modifiy my Wiggler by trimming down the nose some so that it wouldn't catch so much water thus keeping it closer to the surface, and it worked. I was able to troll at a reasonable pace and not catch weeds. And what do you know, Fish On. 30 inch male. (hope the pic works!)

Last edited by a moderator:
T
TTFishon
Thuggin4Life said:
What day you thinking? Me and Jeanna will be fishing Sunday.

Probably not for another couple of weeks. I have to wait for a buddy to heal up from surgery. Hope you guys get into some fatties.

T
TTFishon
Teo said:
I just got back from 3 days at Siltcoos. Day 1, Wednesday: dam open lots of fish up in the river, and fisherpeople too. Some fish caught. I only caught 1 cut that day out in the lake.

Day 2: Drove over to Maple Creek. There's a fishing camp there called Nightingale's where I could launch my pontoon boat for $5. I don't grudge the money. Take Canary Rd. off Hwy 101, then Siltcoos Station Rd. There are docks, restrooms and a good enough boat ramp. A word of warning, the road down into Nightingale's is kind of steep, so if you're towing a boat you want to be sure that your rig is strong enough for your boat and trailer. I Caught some nice cuts again, 3 in the 18 inch sizes. A good dinner for 3. Rained like crazy. Got soaked through. But no coho though some others had a little success.

Day 3: Thought I'd try Maple Cr. again. Weather good. Lots of boats trolling. Fished with spinners for several hours like everyone else. Several fish caught by others. Decided to give up spinners and go back to Wiggle Warts. The problem I was having with Wiggle Warts is that they would dive too deeply and I was always catching lots of weeds if I gave either my cast or my troll any speed. So I decided to modifiy my Wiggler by trimming down the nose some so that it wouldn't catch so much water thus keeping it closer to the surface, and it worked. I was able to troll at a reasonable pace and not catch weeds. And what do you know, Fish On. 30 inch male. (hope the pic works!)

Nice fish! Looks like a good trip and thanks for the report.

M
mikeredding
Teo said:
I just got back from 3 days at Siltcoos. Day 1, Wednesday: dam open lots of fish up in the river, and fisherpeople too. Some fish caught.

Very good report, thanks. And what a beauty!!! Musta drug your pontoon around pretty good.

T
Thuggin4Life
Nice. You wouldn't to have been on your pontoon in the river thursday evening?

T
Teo
Thuggin4Life said:
Nice. You wouldn't to have been on your pontoon in the river thursday evening?

Not Thursday. I was down there Wednesday evening. There were a ton of people there during the day, but it thinned out some late in the afternoon so I went down then. Lots of fish jumping. I was wondering why I hadn't brought my fly pole.

M
mikeredding
Going to Siltcoos tomorrow. See you all there!