Pre-flood action!

M
Mad dog
It's gonna get a little slow on this forum with the flood and all, so I will give a little report from last week! :D

Had some K-falls people come up and fish a few streams for some steel that my son had suggested....of course, it was colder than hell last week and fishing was tough!!! We told them to go to such and such stream and fish Blah-Blah hole with floats and roe. It was a Dad-N-Lad duo fishing and the first day out they each caught a steelhead! Dad's of course was a 37" 17lb. hatchery buck! :D That night they slept in the bed of their truck and the next day in the same holes they caught nada!!! :(

I had offered to take them out last friday morning even though it was a work day. I had until noon to fish and was confident that we could manage a few in 4 hours....actually I was hoping for 4 or 5! :D They stayed the night at the house and as expected the next morning was COLD!!!! The truck thermometer said 24 degree's at the boat launch at 7:00am.....Brrrr!!!.....being we were going to sidedrift and I was rowing, at least I was warm! I was dissappointed to see a boat ahead of us go to the target hole at 1st light only not to hook up, I ran it next....nothing!!! Maybe they were cold? The 2 of us had no bites in the 1st 45 minutes....unbelievable!!! That hole was producing 4-5 fish a morning just a few days before!

The river was way too low to motor the driftboat up the riffle so we got out and pulled the boat upstream into the water above....I was sweating by then! :D I motored up to a hole I call the Jaws and the 1st pass through Dad caught a smaller 2-salt. We made a few more passes and nothing else so we motored up to fish a few other holes....nothing! We drifted back down and hit the flat above the original hole and and Dad got bit in the slot just above the riffle of the 1st hole....another small 2-salt. We wound up fishing the original hole for another 45 minutes with no success....nothing going on here today!

So just a so-so 2 fish day, 2 for Dad and none for lad!

Dad-Lad....how can you be expected to catch fish if you can't even keep your eye's open for a picture!!!
002-20.jpg
Dad with his 2nd fish.
003-18.jpg

Last edited:
M
Mad dog
Post script.....I just walked away when the phone beeped siginaling a message....Looks like Dad/Lad just bought them a drfitboat according to the picture message I just recieved!!!

R
RunWithSasquatch
Glad to hear they got a boat.... Thanks for the photos, nice to see some water that doesn't look like a spoon would stand up in it.

Last edited:
S
Santiam338
Wow!! Pretty fish...Makes the waiting tougher though..;)

P
plumb2fish
Man md, you gotta wait til we are able to fish to post pics...ur killing me....thinking about venturing out to a couple of the nate creeks and giving em a go Sunday....if the weather cooperates.....

S
salmon_slayer87
Great looking fish. I can't wait to get out a get my first of the year.
thanks for messing with my dreams...now ill never get to sleep. lol
Great job guys,
Dale

A
alm21
Mad Dog, I didn't think you ever had a slow day. :D BTW, what does 2-salt mean?

R
RunWithSasquatch
alm21 said:
what does 2-salt mean?

Refering to the amount of years spent in the ocean.

T
the_intimidator03
I thought a 2-salt or even 3-salt fish meant it had spent 2 or 3 periods out in the ocean and migrated back to spawn each time?

A
alm21
How does one identify whether or not it's a 2-salt or 3-salt? Sorry for the thread hijack

P
plumb2fish
Size of the fish... a one salt smolts, and comes back from the ocean in the same year....a two salt smolts, and then spends a year plus in the ocean before returning...ect...
The only way to actually know is to put a scale under a microscope they have growth rings like trees....

Last edited:
M
Mad dog
plumb2fish said:
Size of the fish... a one salt smolts, and comes back from the ocean in the same year....a two salt smolts, and then spends a year plus in the ocean before returning...ect...
The only way to actually know is to put a scale under a microscope they have growth rings like trees....

That's about it really! Growth rings!

Mostly size is a determining factor for us non-biologist types. :D Most 1 salt steelhead will be 16"-20" or so, 2 salt steelhead will be the bulk of any steelhead run and are primarily your 5-10 lb. fish. A 3 salt steelhead is most likely a fish that has reached a weight of low teens or larger.

So when I call a 5 or 6 lb. hen a 2 salt steelhead I don't know for sure it is a 2 salt....but the likelyhood of it being one is very high.

F
fishferfun2
alm21 said:
How does one identify whether or not it's a 2-salt or 3-salt? Sorry for the thread hijack

No way to know a steelheads age unless you take a scale sample. A one salt fish can be 28" on the contrary a 28" may be on it's third spawning run and nearly 7 years old.

A
alm21
Thanks for the info guys. I was wondering if it meant how many shots of tequilla you take when you catch a fish. ;)