So I want to buy a boat but know nothing about boats

O
OregonApe
Some my fondest childhood memories are of boat fishing. My best friend's dad always had something of dubious buoyancy to take us out on. We always had to get up before sunrise, which now as an adult I realize was probably because of how much time it always took to get it running for the day.

I have been bank fishing around Eugene/Springfield for the last year without much success. I then pivoted to fly fishing with waders and I have fallen in more times than I have shouted fish on.

My excuse for not getting a boat up to this point has been that I have not had a way to tow one. Well I picked up a dodge van with a V8 and a trailer hitch the other day.

So I have been watching craigslist. This will be largely freshwater use, lakes and rivers. I'm not picturing something large enough to safely go into saltwater. I feel like I want something larger than the standard basic 12ft aluminum boats. Something closer to 16ft to 18ft. I notice that the price seems to jump a lot going from 12ft to 16ft. Is that just because of the extra features like live wells, storage, etc? Do I only have to worry about stringers and transoms in fiberglass boats?

Good places to look other than craigslist? Anything else I should be considering as I shop?

C
cchinook
2 years ago I got a new Smoker Craft 17 foot , 4 stroke EFI Mercury 20 h.p. for 10,000$ I love it . Unless you are a gear head I would stay away from used. I went with pull start , did not want to deal with dead batteries. It starts every time . Trailer did not come with side guides or a spare mount , I put those on. Not much room for a trolling motor but runs slow enough to troll with. It is my second Smoker and I love it.

O
OregonApe
That seems good considering that their cheapest offering currently is 15ft with no motor or trailer for $11K. I'm sure things vary at the dealer level with incentives and the like, but haven't seen anything like your deal even used.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Boat Trader.com is a place start looking. For a lake fishing boat aluminum is a great choice. Smokercraft, Klamath Boats, Lund and a few others make great boats in the 18 foot range. The nice thing is you can get them without all the bells and whistles. Look for a good motor no more than 90hp and a simplistic fish finder/depth gauge.

C
cchinook
90 is way to much for lakes $$$$$.

plumbertom
plumbertom
I'm no kinda expert on boats, but I have owned a few over my 70+ years. In fact, I've owned so many I couldn't even count them all (mostly due to poor memory), from kayaks to folding boats, 12footers to my 24 foot sportfisher. At one time I owned three different boats at the same time.
I currently have a 16 foot jon boat with a 25 hp Suzi four stroke. It works just fine for my regular fishing buddy and I on the lakes, rivers and in the bays (for crabbing and jetty fishing) so long as there's not a lot of wind.
From what you describe as your need, I'd say something 16 t0 18 foot with 25 to 30 Hp.
I strongly suggest aluminum (light to tow and so easier on the fuel both on and off the water) and welded aluminum is by far a better choice than riveted.
A 16' aluminum boat works pretty well for two people to fish from, and even three can do so comfortably. 4 people might be a bit crowded, so if you think you may need that much space, go the extra couple feet and the 30 HP.

S
Snopro
cchinook said:
90 is way to much for lakes $$$$$.
Depends on the lake.....and the boat.

Reactions: Casting Call
Irishrover
Irishrover
I went from twin 150 on my offshore boat to a 90hp on my 18' Alumaweld Stryker. It's a good match for the boat. I use it a lot in conjunction with the 9.9 kicker. Fish on Wallowa, Paulina, Diamond, Simtustus, Timothy, North Fork Reservoir and more. I do the fishing with the 9.9 but the 90 gets me there and back with a boat load of grandkids. No doubt one could go with less HP, but the 90hp for my boat has been very economical. IMG_1034.JPG

Reactions: Chromatose and Snopro
C
cchinook
plumbertom said:
I'm no kinda expert on boats, but I have owned a few over my 70+ years. In fact, I've owned so many I couldn't even count them all (mostly due to poor memory), from kayaks to folding boats, 12footers to my 24 foot sportfisher. At one time I owned three different boats at the same time.
I currently have a 16 foot jon boat with a 25 hp Suzi four stroke. It works just fine for my regular fishing buddy and I on the lakes, rivers and in the bays (for crabbing and jetty fishing) so long as there's not a lot of wind.
From what you describe as your need, I'd say something 16 t0 18 foot with 25 to 30 Hp.
I strongly suggest aluminum (light to tow and so easier on the fuel both on and off the water) and welded aluminum is by far a better choice than riveted.
A 16' aluminum boat works pretty well for two people to fish from, and even three can do so comfortably. 4 people might be a bit crowded, so if you think you may need that much space, go the extra couple feet and the 30 HP.
I have never understood the problem with riveted . My first Smoker was riveted and went for 30 years , a lot of it in the salt. No problems .

O
OregonApe
cchinook said:
I have never understood the problem with riveted . My first Smoker was riveted and went for 30 years , a lot of it in the salt. No problems .
Did it fail after 30 years because of rivets?

C
cchinook
Did not fail , just wanted a bigger one.

B
Banjo
This is actually a good time to start looking for a boat. I've noticed the size and age of the motor (outboard) usually is key in the price. If you purchase a boat with an engine 10hp or above you'll have to take the online boating test (open book) and procure a license (one time fee).
Once you get the boat I recommend you find a place to practice your backing skills. Believe me it becomes very important when there is a line of people waiting to drop their boats in and you have to back your boat down a steep ramp to get it into the water. (Like Lookout Reservoir) I have a 16 foot Lund with a 45hp Honda and I love it. It does everything I need, can fish 3 or 4 people comfortably, and I, like you, only plan to fish fresh water lakes) A good top is essential for sunny days or when the wife is fishing with you. (In my case at least) Good Luck! : )

O
OregonApe
Thanks. I do actually have the Oregon boater safety card or whatever. We used to have jet skis when I was a kid and I got it then. It does say that my eyes are blue though which is definitely wrong. And yeah, it seems like there are a lot of people trying to avoid winterization and storage right now. Probably a better time to buy than waiting for spring when the weather starts to get nice again.

I'm not the best at backing up but I'm not a novice either. My parents have a '98 Ram Van b3500 (the extended base 15 passenger version). We used that for both the jet skis and their utility trailer. Backing that thing up with a trailer behind it is just a step down from trying to back up a trailer with a school bus. You typically can't see the trailer behind you so the slightest turn and you are off course. I just put a backup camera on my b1500 van so maybe that will help.

Yeah, a bimini top is a good idea assuming I'm trolling and not casting, though I have been a big fan of boonie hats over the last year. Finally my days of the tops of my ears getting fried are gone.

W
wils
OregonApe said:
Something like this would take care of my needs I think.
That would be a good "starter boat" for fishing in most of Oregon. Aluminum bounces of rocks and trees well and they beach fine when there isn't a dock at the ramp.
You should be able to get most of your money back when - not if - your next boat comes along.
Buying it now will give you the Winter to replace trailer tires and bearings on the trailer. and getting a seat at the helm. and maybe a panel at the back of the deck to keep "things" from sliding in. trickle-type charger for the battery. Its the little things that will make it "your" boat.

O
OregonApe
Yeah, my brother in law wants to go big from the start and I'm like, eh... let's see how much use we get out of it and what our needs really are first. I have 12v trickle chargers aplenty.

What do you mean by keeping "things" from sliding in? Do you just mean from making their way under the deck? I was picturing cephalopods crawling over the transom into the boat.

• Haha
Reactions: plumbertom
W
wils
OregonApe said:
What do you mean by keeping "things" from sliding in? Do you just mean from making their way under the deck? I was picturing cephalopods crawling over the transom into the boat.
your battery and your gas tank are back there. First and foremost, they need to be protected.
Secondly - "Things" that are on the deck have a tendancy to slide backwards when the boat is moving. If nothing else, those "things" will never be seen or heard from again if they fall back into that area.

Reactions: OregonApe
S
Stephen
Since you also flyfish you should consider a drift boat. I own a 16ft. Slide rite (fiberglass) just sitting around on a perfect db trailer.
Plus I have a 17.5ft.fiberglass seaswirl with a 70 hp merc, and 6 hp tahotsu kicker. We use this boat mostly for bay fishing and crabing.
Pm me if you're interested. I live in Albany.

We're looking at getting a larger setup for bar crossing.

Stephen

O
OregonApe
I have considered a drift boat but honestly one of my favorite parts of fly fishing is chilling in the river. Granted I seem very prone to ending up swimming when I should be wading, but nonetheless.

O
OregonApe
Well she's mine.

20230930_101257.jpg

Reactions: Admin, wils, Bo Peep and 3 others
O
OregonApe
Well I hit it with some purple power aluminum brightener and that stuff is pretty amazing. The paint is a mess though. It's not chipping off but is very scratched. I would like to paint the green/blue a gloss black but I'm not sure what would work best on old paint and the spots where the paint has been scratched or worn away.

Took it out on the Columbia from Chinook landing just to see how she runs. Ran great but will need some upgrades to seating and such. All the guides seemed to have done well for salmon.

Reactions: plumbertom, Irishrover and Vintageflyguy