Nymph\streamer rod suggestion

B
bigsteel
looking to get suggestions on a nice fast action rod that will throw nymphs and be as good for strippin streamers....lets hear it

S
Scott M
I have a Scott S4. Works for everything I want to throw!

E
eggs
Echo SR 4wt switch..

S
Scott M
Nice looking rods, and half the cost of the Scott!!

Reactions: eggs
T
Trout-tacular!
My go to streamer rod is a Beulah 9' 6wt Guide series (I think they're called Classic series now). They also have a 9'-6" 6wt Platinum series.

E
eggs
Scott M said:
Nice looking rods, and half the cost of the Scott!!

and longer.. a lot more reach, mend and rollcast ability..

S
Spydeyrch
eggs said:
and longer.. a lot more reach, mend and rollcast ability..

I just got my echo sr switch 7wt in the mail today. TOtALLY SWEET!! I can only imagine the effectiveness that it would have as a 4wt.

My thought is to go with the Echo 3 5wt 10' rod. Nice rod and extra long for good high-sticking and great roll casting.

-Spydey

O
OnTheFly
Carefull Dave. These switch rods are like demons. You can get possessed to the point where you start to neglect your single handers. Hitman has already lost his mind.

F
FlyBum
Switches are for bitches!!

Sage ONE 691-4.... That's all you need for everything. But lighter wt rods are fun for dries, but the 6 for the salmon/stone flies is the ****!

Last edited:
Reactions: Van
J
john montana
I haven't taken this out on the water yet, but after three days of lawn casting an Orvis Helios 2 in a 7 wt I am totally blown away. Again, I haven't fished it, but I have a sneaking suspicion my sage one might be relegated to a supporting actor role this spring.

F
FlyBum
john montana said:
I haven't taken this out on the water yet, but after three days of lawn casting an Orvis Helios 2 in a 7 wt I am totally blown away. Again, I haven't fished it, but I have a sneaking suspicion my sage one might be relegated to a supporting actor role this spring.

I got some mixed reviews from my buddies about that rod (hope they glued the reelseat on that one you have). You can see them in the F3T coming soon. They are the "Mexican Wrestlers".

Orvis....LOL

The ONE does have some draw backs, both my buddy and I busted them relatively easily, too high modulus, maybe??

J
john montana
Orvis has changed themselves over the last few years, at least in terms of rods. I won an access 8 wt in a tournament last summer and was shocked as hell by that rod. I really like that access. The H2 is flat out awesome on the lawn. I need to get it on a river ASAP.

The one is interesting. I like mine a lot, but I do find it lacking a little bit of finesse. I just can't get co for table with really short casts, flips or rolls but when you give that rod a little line it is a pleasure to cast. On the lawn, the h2 has it beat in my opinion.

I will say that out of the rods I own, the sage one is the most fun to "fight" a fish with (graphite only). It will be interesting to see how the h2 stacks up in that category. Lots of really good rods out there right now.

F
FlyBum
Ya will agree with you on this one. The One does suck for short casts. Over the summer we fished the 4, 5, and 6 as "Bow-n-Arrow" rods as well as tension casting under the trees during caddis time. The 4 was the best of the three for this application, but the better rods for this application come from Winston. The IIx and IIIx in the 4's and 5's were great. Hell, they're all great sticks, but as far as the original question with nymphs and streamers, so far the ONE in a 6 with a fighting butt is the one I'd choose. Any rod will put some nymphs right where you want them within 30 feet. But cheap **** is cheap ****. If you want an all around rod, my suggestion would be to spend the coin. As we see there are many great ones out there! :)

J
john montana
That is kind of how I view it too. I think a guy can skimp on reels (well, unless you are a carp guy!) for most freshwater applications, but I would spend the top end of my budget on the rod.

H
halibuthitman
the "one" and Z axis are both hopeless gimick rods... the scotts murder them, as for nymphing, fast rods suck, you need an open loop to cast a truck and trailer set-up.. medium slow- medium fast rods do this... half the rods mentioned on this thread need 30' of line just to load them right, and roll cast like ****... 80% of a flyrod is its line.. thats what I would focus on, and as far as orafice flyrods.. Id rather have a lime green berkley powerbait rod, hell... Id just quit fishing-

H
halibuthitman
this isn't gonna be one of those spydey threads where 500 people give awsome information and then you just do what ever the guy at bi-mart tells you is it Dave?;) you **** stirrer:D

J
john montana
I have one scott...not even sure the model. It spends a lot of time in its case! The big thing is you should never buy a rod without casting it. The right rod will speak to you...

F
FlyBum
halibuthitman said:
as far as orafice flyrods.. Id rather have a lime green berkley powerbait rod, hell... Id just quit fishing-

I'm with you on this point...

Scott rods, I've only fished the S4 in a 5 wt. Great stick, but heavy!

H
halibuthitman
john montana said:
I have one scott...not even sure the model. It spends a lot of time in its case! The big thing is you should never buy a rod without casting it. The right rod will speak to you...

you,ll use it once that evo sage blows up...

H
halibuthitman
FlyBum said:
I'm with you on this point...

Scott rods, I've only cast the S4 in a 5 wt. Great stick, but heavy!

are you a pussy? when I was your age flyrods were im6 and called RP's... and never broke.. kids.. sheesh